• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who wants to see an immediate Cyborg vs. Nunes rematch?

They will probably do a rematch. It took amanda 9 months to put on the weight for this fight. If she goes back to 135 it'll be at least a year before we see a rematch.

At 135 the only unknown who might pose a challenge is ketlen viera.

Cyborg isn’t a longtime dominant champion though. Also, she has had exactly 2 good wins in her entire career.

Best case scenario: UFC dissolves the division, and Nunes focuses on defending at WBW. Her sights should be on Ronda’s defense record now.

well, Cyborg enjoys similar status, being undefeated for so long and clearly without peer, until now. It is not unreasonable to say that she deserves a chance at redemption...but I'm fine with Nunes defending 135 and Cyborg taking another fight too.

I was disappointed in how Cat-Megan played out, because that fight was clearly meant to identify a 145 contender.

I don't want to see the division dissolved though. the dual champ storyline adds to Nunes' marketability. Since there is no long list of waiting contenders at 145, there is also no pressure to have Nunes fight 4x a year, just so she can defend each a couple of times. If 145 gets defended more infrequently, who cares? it isn't holding anything up.

I'd like it, I think Cyborg just got reckless out there. If she fights smarter it's a different fight.

It’s the only WMMA fight I’d care about at the moment. Nunes against anyone else is a bore.

Sure why not, not because I want Cyborg to get the opportunity to redeem herself but rather to see another KO. I think Cyborg with a not retarded strategy beats Nunes with rather ease. But nevertheless someone is getting knocked out and it will be a joy.

100% no

I watched the fight again and it was even worse at second viewing. There were ‘exchanges’, yes, but Cybot was hardly landing at all, while Nunes was landing monster shots, practically at will. It was a complete fucking massacre.

The only people calling for a rematch are die hard Cybot fans in denial.

Honestly, other than a Valentina vs. Cyborg match, which I doubt would happen given the ridiculous size discrepancy, there's no better fight.

Last edited:
But maybe he just says that because he wants to have leverage in new contract negotiations.

I am sure that he employs this tactic regularly. I seem to remember similar statements around other fighters’ contract renewal time. That stuff he said about Alvarez, for ex.

100% no

I watched the fight again and it was even worse at second viewing. There were ‘exchanges’, yes, but Cybot was hardly landing at all, while Nunes was landing monster shots, practically at will. It was a complete fucking massacre.

The only people calling for a rematch are die hard Cybot fans in denial.

You are right in that Cyborg didn't land much, and it was a clear result in the end. But that was a fight any of the two could have won. They were slugging it and basically gambling. A rematch would not be similar, most likely, and who knows who would win. I would bet the odds would be quite even still, or close to even.

Honestly, other than a Valentina vs. Cyborg match, which I doubt would happen given the ridiculous size discrepancy, there's no better fight for Amanda.
How's Valentina vs Cyborg any kind of fight for Amanda? :p

You are right in that Cyborg didn't land much, and it was a clear result in the end. But that was a fight any of the two could have won. They were slugging it and basically gambling. A rematch would not be similar, most likely, and who knows who would win. I would bet the odds would be quite even still, or close to even.

I don’t agree that they were both rolling the dice. The difference was that Nunes only really opened up with the barrage of wide shots when she had Cyborg on queer street.

Here is the right that originally buckled Cyborg’s legs. Note what each of their left hands is doing:

giphy.gif

I mean, there is an element of danger for Nunes there, as there always is when the opponent runs at you, and forces an exchange against the cage, but there is a clear reason why Cyborg got the worst of this.

Now in the final sequence, Nunes is pouring it on, because Cyborg is on queer street and simply reaching, flailing. This wasn’t an exchange - it was Nunes completely destroying someone who is more or less dead in the water.

giphy.gif

Why wouldn't I be? It was a great exciting fight was it not?

Well sure. And rematch would definitely last longer. I just think that it has to be earned after a beating like that.

Last edited:
Well sure. And rematch would definitely last longer. I just think that it has to be earned after a beating like that.
I tend to agree.

But on the other hand this rematch could be kinda big and you risk losing steam if you wait and send the ex-champ back to thd end of the "line".

I tend to agree.

But on the other hand this rematch could be kinda big and you risk losing steam if you wait and send the ex-champ back to thd end of the "line".

‘line’ hehe ..touche

I want to see it, but my guess is Cyborg will now sit on the shelf until her contract times out in a year and the UFC will let her walk.

Back