Who the f**k decides the match making?

Ozze

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So as of now, Holloway is ducking Aldo, Khabib is ducking Tony, Conor is ducking Khabib, Weidman is ducking Mousasi, Bisping is ducking Romero, Holly is ducking Cyborg....

Every singlr fighter goes on Twitter saying nobody wants to fight them.

With that said, who the hell decides the fights? Are fighters allowed to just decline all fights that are not of their interest?

I think it's funny when Dana says something like "I can't make him fight!", but there's got to be something in their contract that estipulates that they'll have to accept some fight. Like, maybe pick one out of three options or something?

Does anybody knows anything as to how this works? The match making is such a clusterfuck right now.

Both the UFC and the fighters have to sign for individual fights. Fighters turn down opponents all the time for various reasons.

Say what you want about his matchmaking but Joe Silva was like a pimp who kept his ho's in check and made them look at the curb when he walked by.

Literally the only one of the above with even a shred of truth is Holly ducking Cyborg. So your core examples are false, leading me to believe that your overall point is shit.

I've always assumed it was Joe Silva, with Dana/Fertitas having veto power.

Edit: the UFC has a long history of making the matches they believe are the most profitable in the short term, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Burt Watson was a big unsung component of arranging fights behind the scenes, since his departure it's been a mess.

burt-watson-babysitter-to-stars-shirt.jpg

Say what you want about his matchmaking but Joe Silva was like a pimp who kept his ho's in check and made them look at the curb when he walked by.

We have always been spoiled. Anyone who criticizes UFC matchmaking always got a thunderous chuckle from me.

Literally the only one of the above with even a shred of truth is Holly ducking Cyborg. So your core examples are false, leading me to believe that your overall point is shit.

I know that a lot is just shit talking and was just setting an example with what is said in the first page of the threads.

But that wasn't the case a year ago. We would just be informed by the UFC of the upcoming fights. Now there's all these he said she said shit going on and the fights are just not happening.

I believe right now it's the "Eeeny Meeny Miny" Mo system. Previously they used the "Bubble Gum Bubble Gum In A Dish" format but that ended up failing.

Khabib wants to fight Ferguson, but it looks like he doesn't want to fight the little FW dude with good TDD

And Ferguson just wants what he deserves and he will fight anyone.

Lol keyboard warriors and their ducking claims! What a tough guy

Holloway just fought recently, he's entitled time off and a full camp.

But that wasn't the case a year ago. We would just be informed by the UFC of the upcoming fights. Now there's all these he said she said shit going on and the fights are just not happening.

Welcome to the new UFC.

The system goes: Dana puts a piece of cheese into the tip of his hram, and let's a mouse eat it. There is an assortment of crackers over the names of fighters within a specific weight class behind the mouse (I heard the crackers were cheese goldfish crackers but I can't testify to that). Whomever 's crackers the mouse ears the cheese with is fighting.

Fighters can decline fights, UFC can't force them to fight. However, I believe UFC have to offer a fight within a time frame or risk voiding the contract. This means, for example, if the UFC thinks Carla Esparza is ducking Claudia Gadelha but wants that fight to happen. They can keep offering the same fight and if Carla continues to duck she won't be making any money and would eventually have to sell her automobiles. Of course, you have some fighters that have enough money to duck the whole roster, such as Nate Diaz.

Back in the day, I think fighters would take fights that they didn't want, knowing that a favor would come back to them later. I think this is why you don't see as many canceled fights, those fighters backing out of unfavorable deals. Now days, you want whoever you match up well with. You climb the ladder, and then fight whoever you want. I agree, I wish it would stop. There are very few "anybody, anywhere" kind of guys that are still fighting.
I know of one for sure.
cerrone.jpg

Back