Who should Kennedy fight now?

Francis Carmont in a loser leaves town match.

Carmont vs Kennedy can be pretty much classified as cruel and unusual punishment. Over five rounds? Good lord no.

I'll go outside the box here and predict Phil Davis vs Tim Kennedy at 205 lbs.

I like this idea! Davis needs a fight to stay active.

My guess is the UFC offered Okami the Munoz or the Kennedy fight and he probably said no, that is why he was fired.

Going over the entire active MW roster these are the only viable replacements:

Alan Belcher
Derek Brunson
Chris Camozzi
Francis Carmont
Rich Franklin
Ed Herman
Brian Houston
John Howard
Lorenz Larkin
Cung Le
Thales Leites
Ronny Markes
Costa Philippou
Yoel Romero
Ronaldo Souza
Brad Tavares

Brunson, Camozzi, Houston, Larkin, Markes & Romero are all possibilities because they're all on the Troops card already but none of them are main event names so they're extremely unlikey which leaves us with

Alan Belcher
Francis Carmont
Rich Franklin
Ed Herman
John Howard
Cung Le
Thales Leites
Costa Philippou
Ronaldo Souza
Brad Tavares

Belcher can theoretically be in a main event but he's lost 2 in a row so that's unlikely. Carmont makes a lot of sense ranking wise but is boring as fuck. Dana wants Rich to retire but Rich still wants to fight. Not sure he could make it son short notice though. Herman already has a fight booked but as we saw with Machida being pulled, he can still fill in and he does have some name value. Howards fight with Hall really sucked and he's just getting back in the UFC. I don't see him being thrown in a main event so quickly. Cung Le is supposed to be doing TUF China soon but maybe he can do them a favor by taking the fight. Leites has name value and is coming off of a great win over Watson. He'd make sense. Costa just lost that snoozer against Carmont. A Jacare rematch makes sense as well but Jacare got hurt against Okami and I don't know the extent of the injury. Tavares has won 4 in a row but hasn't exactly made waves and is not ready for a main event imo.

So, best possible choices imo would be
Rich Franklin
Ed Herman
Cung Le
Thales Leites
Ronaldo Souza

I'm gonna guess Thales gets the fight but would love to see either Franklin or Le take the fight

That's a hell of an analysis. Leites sounds very plausible.

I hope its not Carmont.

Franklin wants a fight, he has always been a company guy, would he step up and take that fight on short notice?

Stann would be a great replacement cause its the fight for the troops card but I dont see it happening.

Carmont is possible but if the UFC thinks Carmont/Kennedy is a main event worthy fight they are nuts.

Jacare is the best option but he is hurt I believe, right?

I think the best option would be UFC signs Mamed to fight Kennedy. Would get the best non UFC MW into the UFC and right into a big main event fight. Might not be the biggest ratings grab main event for a card but it would be interesting.

So Franklin is probably the guy they go with.

Good lord the thought of Carmont being in a 5 round fight.

If Wanderlei is healthy, that would be decent
Cung Le
Rich Franklin

Other guys might make sense, but not for a main event

Carmont vs Kennedy can be pretty much classified as cruel and unusual punishment. Over five rounds? Good lord no.

I'll go outside the box here and predict Phil Davis vs Tim Kennedy at 205 lbs.

Kennedy seems to "play the game" too much to take that sort of risk. I mean, he's willing to be boring as hell in his fights, cuts a lot of weight, and clinches a lot. He'd be outgunned so much in a matchup with Phil Davis that I really doubt he'd take the fight.

The UFC shouldn't waste a top name on Kennedy anyways. Kennedy will look to clinch and idle a lot. It's not a sexy matchup or a worthwhile matchup for a guy like Rich Franklin, Cung Le, or Wanderlei. All of them had made their careers on exciting striking battles. Kennedy is the antithesis of an exciting striker.

Someone who can save us from a speech

My guess is the UFC offered Okami the Munoz or the Kennedy fight and he probably said no, that is why he was fired.

You probably should never ever guess again.

Back