• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is your pick for ‘best that never was’?

Imagine how good Cung Le could have been if he had started MMA in his early 20's instead of his mid-thirties

cung-le-poses-for-a-portrait-during-a-ufc-photo-session-at-hyatt-on-picture-id452695180

Rory Gus jacare are the guys that come to mind.

No it isn't. Masvidal isn't championship caliber. Never has been, never will be
He could be, he was very close to it. You never know, with some changes to his game it's still possible. He isn't far off in either LW or WW for another opportunity if he plays his cards right.

It's Rory for me, I was convinced we were maybe witnessing the GOAT in the making. Still had a great career, but it seemed to me that he was going to the very top and staying there.

Yeah, when he beat Woodley I truly thought he’d always remain in the top 3 for a long time, reality had other plans. That Lawler fight really took something from him. It’s sad, sometimes it’s really just a bad matchup. For all we know, Rory pre-Lawler, might of been champ and some other fighter could have handled Robbie.

Gabriel Gonzaga is definitely one for me

I saw Randy much differently after that fight. Blatant headbutt flattened GG's nose fairly early and from there he was never in the fight. IMO the ref missed a big one that night. He took him down and smashed his head in to the nose. It was deliberate and he should have been DQ'd for it. I've been back and fourth with people about it over the years.

It was deliberate. Not "part of the sport" and was dirty

And about 50 seconds away from the greatest upset in LHW history.

Literally his entire life summed up in an incident....If he won anything, he'd have to cheat or win through the misfortune of another.....And he STILL didn't. Even in politics and real estate it went the same way.

Despite all his charm... And is the PERFECT example of "cheats never prosper".

Even tho the entire sport barring 1 or 2 do.

Gus for sure. After the beat down he put on Jon Jones everybody thought he would be champion. Then came black Fedor and Uber Anthony Johnson

Joe "Daddy" Stevenson. After seeing him in KOTC, I was sure he'd make a big splash in the UFC.

David Terrell has to be up there. He was so talented and advanced for his time but just took off so soon. There are tons of other guys, like Filho, Karo and Kerr, that grappled with addiction issues as well and were robbed of their potential.

David Terrell has to be up there. He was so talented and advanced for his time but just took off so soon. There are tons of other guys, like Filho, Karo and Kerr, that grappled with addiction issues as well and were robbed of their potential.

I don't know much about Filho. (Saw him fight in PRIDE once tho) There are a lot of super talented martial artists that do not like fighting tho. Karo and Kerr both talked about the anxiety fighting gave them. They didn't enjoy fighting and likely used to level themselves out. In Smashing Machine when Kerr had his OD and they switched over to focus on Renzo, the difference was insane. They even talked about it on the DVD audio. That Renzo LOVES to fight. It's just who he is. Some people it just isn't

I don't know much about Filho. (Saw him fight in PRIDE once tho) There are a lot of super talented martial artists that do not like fighting tho. Karo and Kerr both talked about the anxiety fighting gave them. They didn't enjoy fighting and likely used to level themselves out. In Smashing Machine when Kerr had his OD and they switched over to focus on Renzo, the difference was insane. They even talked about it on the DVD audio. That Renzo LOVES to fight. It's just who he is. Some people it just isn't
A lot of fighters hate fighting tho and are open about it, like Nick Diaz and GSP. They do it, they may even love training, but who wants to get in a cage and risk getting humiliated in front of the world? I think with Karo and Kerr, the reason they resorted to opiates was linked to that anxiety. Opiates take that anxiety and edge off like nothing else. Filho also was an absolute beast but got hooked in with oxycontin and that ruined him. Filho was even ranked #1 MW in the world over AS in some polls before he became a junkie.

Kid Yamamoto should've been the Jose Aldo of his time. If we talk pure talent at the highest level. Reasons why he didn't become longtime dominant, was at a elite level for some years. He was in the UFC later, and it was like watching Shogun's post knee injury years.

Back