Who is your BJJ inspiration?

Myself! :icon_chee

Kidding. Travis Stevens because of all the injuries he has been through, and still manages to both train and compete at an elite level in both BJJ and Judo. Also for being able to adopt to the new rules which imo are killing Judo

Other than my instructors I'd say Caio Terra. The first guy to truly show me that a smaller guy can be effective when using jiu jitsu.

marcelo, roger, rodolfo (and his instructor julio cesar pereira).

I get inspired when I go to a tournament and see the over-40 guys competing. Not just the guys who are simply over 40, but the guys who are really good and over 40.

wool_blankets.jpg

Paweł Mistewicz- for giving me example of being a modest, supreme blackbelt a true master of control while having two kids, a loving wife and a PR company doing well. If I can pick my version of success in life, please let me follow his footsteps. This man inspires me a lot.

Krzysztof Lukaszewicz- my main coach for bringing friendship and courtesy to the world of conflicting academies and giving rise to the inter-academy sparrings in Warsaw. Great man, great coach, very friendly, open and intelligent. Another role model for me. If I cannot be a competitor blackbelt World Champ I want to be like him.

and as for names you might be familiar with
Robson- love his use of the Gi
Ryan Hall- for bringing science and taking the dim mak off my view of bjj and grappling in general
Lucio Lagarto Rodrigues- I think of him every time I ecounter some sort of hurdle during my bjj journey. Lately, I was out for a month due to chicken pox. I was bitching aboiut it and my mom told me "Hey, that guy survived cancer"
De La Riva- for being a champion of the "Technique prevails" rule
Bustamante- for playing clean

Terere for his game and his social program for kids.

I have two, and I'll admit, they are both kinda lame, but I'm being honest:

- The guy who beat my in my 1st MMA match. I was an ignorant guy, who said shit like "I don't do SPORT jiujitsu, I do MMA!!" and won my first match, and then got destroyed by a purple belt in my 2nd. He checked my ego for me (big time checked it), and led me to seek out more grappling instruction (I did Muay Thai for 10 years before 1st MMA fight, and almost no true grappling). I haven't fought MMA again, due to getting addicted to BJJ. Him humiliating me was the best thing that ever happened to me in martial arts honestly. It made me know how much I didn't know.

- The second...Frank Mir. I know...hes not the most liked guy in the world. I've never met him either. But, when I started, I was a bigger guy (6'2 / 220) and thought the jiujitsu stuff was just for small guys. Then..I saw the videos of Mir submitting guys, and him submitting two monsters with foot/leg locks (Tank and Brock). He kinda convinced me of big-guy jiujitsu working.

So there it is. Its lame. But that's what sparked my love for BJJ.

B.J Penn, Gracie family, my coach.

Last edited:
Jacare, Marcello, Carlson

Cyborg Abreu- for being a genuinely kind person and being successful. One of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Jacare Cavalcanti- founded Alliance and another super nice person. Has kept a level head despite the dizzying level of success his team has, and continues to have.

Dryesdale- one of the few people who still makes me feel like I can't do anything right.

The drunken jackasses that walk round my neighborhood constantly

if it needs further explaining:
Roger is more then the mount and cross choke. What I want is the positional control and dominance to crush my opponents and atack them with what I want. If they fight to hard then it will give me another gift. Cross choke to crazy ump to back take for example

Mendes - shows what a small person can do against a much larger one if he/she is skillful enough.

Back