• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

Who is the Greatest MMA fighter of all-time?

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened to the sticky All Time GOAT Poll, so I thought lets do a fresh one and see what the numbers will be like now.

Jose Aldo
Jose Aldo.png
Fedor Emelianenko
Fedor Emelianenko.png
Demetrious Johnson

Demetrious Johsnon.png
George St-Pierre
GSP.png
Khabib Nurmagomedov
Khabib.png
Jon Jones
Jon Jones.png
Anderson Silva
Anderson Silva.png
Dominick Cruz
Dominick Cruz.png

Attachments

• 1718448116607.png
    1718448116607.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Anderson Silva.png
    Anderson Silva.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
On paper, it's Jones by a clear margin. It comes down to how much you hold his PED controversies against him.

After that it's harder.

I'd put GSP and Fedor in the next bracket together. Fedor for going undefeated for so long in a division where one punch ends a fight, and GSP for being the most well-rounded fighter ever (alongside maybe MM) along with his longtime divisional dominance and avenging all of his losses.

Anderson would come next in my book. Not as well rounded as the 3 above him and certainly had some PED controversy like Jones, but probably has the best highlight reel in MMA history and at his peak had IMO the best aura of invincibility. His win streak was incredible also.

Demetrious is next. He's a very hard one to rate, as I could see someone making the argument for him being #1, and him being #6. The knock against him is I feel that his division just wasn't as built up with as skilled of fighters that the others on this last had to face. Maybe that's just lack of name value of those fighters, but that's how I see it.

Khabib is another one that is hard to rate. On paper - he's perfect, and probably the most dominant fighter in MMA history (i.e. barely lost any rounds, never hurt). He just doesn't have the long-standing dominance that the others on this list have. He retired after 3 title defenses - many of the fighters on this list have 6+.

I love Jose Aldo, one of my favorites on this list. I just think there is now too much cloudiness around who is actually the best FW of all time (with Max and Volk now also having great runs) so it's hard to have him above anyone else here.

On paper, it's Jones by a clear margin. It comes down to how much you hold his PED controversies against him.

After that it's harder.

I'd put GSP and Fedor in the next bracket together. Fedor for going undefeated for so long in a division where one punch ends a fight, and GSP for being the most well-rounded fighter ever (alongside maybe MM) along with his longtime divisional dominance and avenging all of his losses.

Anderson would come next in my book. Not as well rounded as the 3 above him and certainly had some PED controversy like Jones, but probably has the best highlight reel in MMA history and at his peak had IMO the best aura of invincibility. His win streak was incredible also.

Demetrious is next. He's a very hard one to rate, as I could see someone making the argument for him being #1, and him being #6. The knock against him is I feel that his division just wasn't as built up with as skilled of fighters that the others on this last had to face. Maybe that's just lack of name value of those fighters, but that's how I see it.

Khabib is another one that is hard to rate. On paper - he's perfect, and probably the most dominant fighter in MMA history (i.e. barely lost any rounds, never hurt). He just doesn't have the long-standing dominance that the others on this list have. He retired after 3 title defenses - many of the fighters on this list have 6+.

I love Jose Aldo, one of my favorites on this list. I just think there is now too much cloudiness around who is actually the best FW of all time (with Max and Volk now also having great runs) so it's hard to have him above anyone else here.

Very articulate and well said breakdown. Thank you.

15 years ago this list was different. 15 years from now this list will be different. So any current GOAT list will be irrelevant. It’s all just for talk and arguing.

15 years ago this list was different. 15 years from now this list will be different. So any current GOAT list will be irrelevant. It’s all just for talk and arguing.

I don't know for HW, I don't think anyone will surpass Fedor. He was quite unique fighter/specimen.

But don't get back to what you said, yes that's part of the evolution of this sport or any sport for that matter. You can say that it will always be constantly changing, it's never going to be stagnant the athletes you consider the GOATs of their respective sports.

11 years since GSP retired from WW division and no WW is even close to surpassing him. Not buying your 15 year comment

11 years since GSP retired from WW division and no WW is even close to surpassing him. Not buying your 15 year comment
This is an all time goat poll not ww goat poll. And even if GSP was WW goat now as 15 years ago, what about LW, FW, LHW, HW?

My my comment isn’t just about 15 years, it’s about time passing and things change. In general, fans pick fighters as Goats during the time that they watch them. So in 50 years when we’re all dead, new MMA fans in 2074 is not going to know GSP or Jon Jones are. They are going to know the fighters in their time. And they are more likely to anoint their great fighters Goats or say “Anderson Silva or Khabib doesn’t stand a chance against their guys”.

People in generally wants to anoint fighters in the era that they watch as GOATs because they want to be a part of the best. No one ever wants to be a part of the 2nd best.

This is an all time goat poll not ww goat poll. And even if GSP was WW goat now as 15 years ago, what about LW, FW, LHW, HW?

My my comment isn’t just about 15 years, it’s about time passing and things change. In general, fans pick fighters as Goats during the time that they watch them. So in 50 years when we’re all dead, new MMA fans in 2074 is not going to know GSP or Jon Jones are. They are going to know the fighters in their time. And they are more likely to anoint their great fighters Goats or say “Anderson Silva or Khabib doesn’t stand a chance against their guys”.

People in generally wants to anoint fighters in the era that they watch as GOATs because they want to be a part of the best. No one ever wants to be a part of the 2nd best.
That's silly. People know who boxers are from the 1950s who were good if they actually follow boxing.

Casuals knowing nothing doesn't mean anything. It's ignorant people who don't have any idea of the topic they're pretending they have a clue about.

If you don't know who the greats were from this era, even 50 years from now, it probably means you know fuck all about MMA

Back