Who is the greatest male MOVIE STAR of 1980 to the present?

Who is the greatest movie star? (1980-Present)

• Brad Pitt

• Harrison Ford

• Will Smith

• Tom Cruise

• Robert Downey Jr.

• Johnny Depp

• Tom Hanks

• Leonardo DiCaprio

• Denzel Washington

• Matt Damon

• Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Dwayne Johnson

• Mel Gibson

• Daniel-Day Lewis

• Christian Bale

• Russell Crowe

• Bruce Willis

• Sylvester Stallone

• Matthew McConaughey

• George Clooney

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tom cruise is to me the obvious choice with the silver medal going to Tom hanks. Cruise has been a movie star the entire time I've been alive. Hanks has been a great actor for the same time but really its not the same

For sure. DiCaprio made me a believer over time. People still talk shit about him but his body of work is building up in a serious way.

I really don't hear many negative comments about Leo anymore. He seems to be pretty well embraced at this point.

I really don't hear many negative comments about Leo anymore. He seems to be pretty well embraced at this point.

When you can get raped by a bear on screen and no one makes fun of you you know you've made it. If I got raped by a bear people would think I was a complete moron

It's the two Toms, in fact, I got them bout tied.

Surprised Daniel Day Lewis isn't more popular.<{dootch}>

When you can get raped by a bear on screen and no one makes fun of you you know you've made it. If I got raped by a bear people would think I was a complete moron

Jack-Nicholson-YES-horny.gif

Maybe more so now than in the past. Same thing for Keanu.

Yeah, Keanu is another one who has gained respect as he's continued to work through the years.

It's almost like certain actors have to go through a hazing period first. But if you make it through that, the people will love you.

Surprised Daniel Day Lewis isn't more popular.<{dootch}>

His brand of acting may not always translate into star power or dollars but his tool kit is next level. The guy is incredible.

Yeah, Keanu is another one who has gained respect as he's continued to work through the years.

It's almost like certain actors have to go through a hazing period first. But if you make it through that, the people will love you.

Its all about making that money man, box office is king for most of those guys. People would still be talking mad shit about Keanu if he didn't become Neo and then John Wick. Making Constantine, Speed, and Point Break helped his cause as well. I also liked The Devil's Advocate.

he's a complete fucking nujtob but he picks movie roles QUITE well

I honestly think Tom Hanks has the most impressive body of work.

Honorable mentions: Bruce Willis, Denzel Washington, Christian Bale, Harrison Ford

Saving Private Ryan is the only Hanks movie in my top 50. For some reason I just don't get him or his films. They're okay to me.

For longevity, quality, and general star power, it's a close race between Pitt and Cruise.

For acting, DDL smashes everyone.

Tom Cruise. The whole scientology thing turned some people off but the guy is ridiculous after having done this for 30 years.

Tom Hanks just cranks good movies. He probably get good scripts thrown at him so he can be picky but his body of work is beyond anyone else. He does good work with what he does.

Leonardo has an incredible body of work considering he started just as a pretty boy.

Best actors on that list I think are Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, and Christian Bale. All just breath in any role that they play. By their roles, I have no idea what they are like in person. Gary Oldman's bit role in True Romance was like what the fuck. A fucking brit can play lowlife american scum better than an american.

I would pick Tom Cruise. Harrison Ford has been the biggest money maker having been in two iconic roles. Samuel L. Jackson at number 2 suprises me for total box office draw.

Harrison Ford
Actor, Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Harrison Ford was born on July 13, 1942 in Chicago, Illinois, to Dorothy (Nidelman), a radio actress, and Christopher Ford (born John William Ford), an actor turned advertising executive. His father was of Irish and German ancestry, while his maternal grandparents were Jewish immigrants from Minsk, Belarus...
Total Gross (in millions): $4,871.7 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Samuel L. Jackson
Actor, Pulp Fiction
Samuel L. Jackson is an American producer and highly prolific actor, having appeared in over 100 films, including Die Hard with a Vengeance, Unbreakable, Shaft, Formula 51, Black Snake Moan, Snakes on a Plane, and the Star Wars prequel trilogy (1999-2005), as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe...
Total Gross (in millions): $4,646.8 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Morgan Freeman
Actor, The Shawshank Redemption
With an authoritative voice and calm demeanor, this ever popular American actor has grown into one of the most respected figures in modern US cinema. Morgan was born on June 1, 1937 in Memphis, Tennessee, to Mayme Edna (Revere), a teacher, and Morgan Porterfield Freeman, a barber. The young Freeman...
Total Gross (in millions): $4,433.0 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Tom Hanks
Actor, The Da Vinci Code
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks was born in Concord, California, to Janet Marylyn (Frager), a hospital worker, and Amos Mefford Hanks, an itinerant cook. His mother's family, originally surnamed "Fraga", was entirely Portuguese, while his father was of mostly English ancestry. Tom grew up in what he has called a "fractured" family...
Total Gross (in millions): $4,340.7 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Robert Downey Jr.
Actor, The Avengers
Robert Downey Jr. has evolved into one of the most respected actors in Hollywood. With an amazing list of credits to his name, he has managed to stay new and fresh even after over four decades in the business. Downey was born April 4, 1965 in Manhattan, New York, the son of writer, director and filmographer Robert Downey Sr. and actress Elsie Downey (née Elsie Ann Ford)...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,943.6 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Eddie Murphy
Actor, Beverly Hills Cop
Edward Regan Murphy was born April 3, 1961 in Brooklyn, New York, to Lillian (Laney), a telephone operator, and Charles Edward Murphy, a transit police officer who was also an amateur comedian and actor. After his father died, his mother married Vernon Lynch, a foreman at a Breyer's Ice Cream plant...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,810.4 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Tom Cruise
Actor, Top Gun
In 1976, if you had told fourteen year-old Franciscan seminary student Thomas Cruise Mapother IV that one day in the not too distant future he would be Tom Cruise, one of the top 100 movie stars of all time, he would have probably grinned and told you that his ambition was to join the priesthood. Nonetheless...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,587.2 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Johnny Depp
Actor, Edward Scissorhands
Johnny Depp is perhaps one of the most versatile actors of his day and age in Hollywood. He was born John Christopher Depp II in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June 9, 1963, to Betty Sue (Wells), who worked as a waitress, and John Christopher Depp, a civil engineer. Depp was raised in Florida. He dropped out of school when he was 15...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,366.3 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Michael Caine
Actor, The Dark Knight
Michael Caine was born Maurice Joseph Micklewhite in London, to Ellen Frances Marie (Burchell), a charlady, and Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, a fish-market porter. He left school at age 15 and took a series of working-class jobs before joining the British army and serving in Korea during the Korean War...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,340.5 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Scarlett Johansson
Actress, Lost in Translation
Scarlett Johansson was born in New York City. Her mother, Melanie Sloan, is from a Jewish family from the Bronx, and her father, Karsten Johansson, is a Danish-born architect, from Copenhagen. She has a sister, Vanessa Johansson, who is also an actress, a brother, Adrian, a twin brother, Hunter Johansson...
Total Gross (in millions): $3,332.1 ” - Dibyayan_Chakravorty

Last edited:
Gary Oldman's bit role in True Romance was like what the fuck. A fucking brit can play lowlife american scum than an american.

Drexl was an unbelievable role. You feel like if anyone but Oldman did that it would've been a disaster, but as it is it's one of the most memorable villain performances of the 90's. From like 5 minutes of screentime

My point really is that it seems like Sherdog kind of thing for Bale to pick up at least a vote or two.

Remember that these are the same people who pushed The Dark Knight into the finals in the "Your favorite movie" polls I did.

In fairness to them the Dark Knight is a well loved movie all around, even outside of Sherdog. Not by me though, it's not even my favourite Batman movie. That honour goes to Batman (1989). Keaton. Nicholson. Prince. Can't be topped.

Back