Who is the closest thing to being the George Chuvalo of MMA?

A journeyman who's more famous for getting beat up than actually beating people up.

I really don't understand people's fascination with this guy.
He sent Ali to the hospital from kidney damage in their fight and never even got knocked down his whole career. He's the man.

~DaViD~

I posted 2 punches KO, one from a MW and one from a past his prime former Kickboxer
Chuvalo fought prime George Foreman, Joe Frazier and Ali without be KOd

I'm a MMA fan more than a boxing one, but pls
I don't really put a lot of weight in "surviving" Ali. Ali knew he had the skill gap, and knew Georges was packing heat so I don't get the idea he was pushing super hard to finish with that knowledge in mind. And he just wasn't a power puncher, he only finished like 6 opponents of his last 20 fights or something like that. But surviving Frazier's constant left hook threat, and literally anything Foreman throws was definitely very damn impressive. Especially considering he was only a 6ft even HW and like 220. And foreman was a pretty solid 6'4" 240ish. Frazier wasn't no giant, but that left hook was insane.

Being mentioned as the toughest guy they ever fought by guys like Ali.

While Ali was at the hospital pissing blood after the fight, good Ol'George was dancing with his wife at the club
Agreed, and he didn't always lose. The guy had over 70 wins!

George Chuvalo was a Heavyweight boxer with a ton of fights when Heavyweight boxing had some serious killers, and he was never KO'd. He only lost to prime George Foreman by corner stoppage and Joe Frazier by cut stoppage. He also had 2 decision losses to Muhammed Ali and a decision loss to Floyd Patterson. Not only did the guy never show signs of his chin cracking, he has his wits about him pretty good as an old man.

Who would you say MMA's closest equivalent to Chuvalo would be? For a while, guys like Big Nog and Hendo had never lost via strikes, but their careers lasted long enough to see them get stopped relatively easly.
Eazy...

fuj.jpg

Uh who..?
George Chuvalo is pretty well known if you know anything about boxing history.
  • In 93 professional bouts, he finished with a 73-18-2 record but was never knocked to the canvas.
  • Took a fight on 17 days notice against Muhammad Ali and was the first man to take Ali the distance of 15 rounds.
Ali was well ahead on the scorecards the whole fight but he later described Chuvalo as the toughest fighter he’d faced to that point in his career.

“When it was all over, Ali was the guy who went to the hospital because he was pissing blood,” said Chuvalo. “Me? I went dancing with my wife. No question I got the best of that deal.”

Here is an interesting read if you wanted to know more. He has had an interesting life but one filled with tragedy.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ot...lo-muhammad-ali-s-toughest-opponent-1.3326096

If you think dude got 40 fights through 12 years, losing basically all of them he's either crazy or he got incredible toughness/balls to keep stepping in the cage lol

In some wayis even more impressive than guys with perfect/great records that at some point still in theyr 20s lose once or two and they broke
He is, by his own admission, not a good fighter but he plays a very vital role for small MMA promotions. He will fight anyone and on a moments notice.

Good interview with him from a few years ago
https://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/one-mans-worst-fighter-ever-is-another-mans-band-aid

He came to my high school more 6 years ago. Great guy, has a really shitty life story with his wife and kids committing suicide or something like that. Tough bastard

I posted 2 punches KO, one from a MW and one from a past his prime former Kickboxer
Chuvalo fought prime George Foreman, Joe Frazier and Ali without be KOd

I'm a MMA fan more than a boxing one, but pls
You would probably win the discussion if you show Chuvalo getting a clean hit like Nelson took agaisnt black beast and shaking it off. Because chin goes a long way with a proper defense technique. It's not just black and White.

Bj Penn despite downfall still has a chin on him

Hes a Croat too. Apparently they're a tough HW fighter factory. UFC needs to import some of those guys.

I don't really put a lot of weight in "surviving" Ali. Ali knew he had the skill gap, and knew Georges was packing heat so I don't get the idea he was pushing super hard to finish with that knowledge in mind. And he just wasn't a power puncher, he only finished like 6 opponents of his last 20 fights or something like that. But surviving Frazier's constant left hook threat, and literally anything Foreman throws was definitely very damn impressive. Especially considering he was only a 6ft even HW and like 220. And foreman was a pretty solid 6'4" 240ish. Frazier wasn't no giant, but that left hook was insane.

He was the first guy to go 15 rounds with Ali. Took the fight on 17 days notice. has a record of 73-18-2. His grand-neice stayed in the same university halls as me back in the mid 2000's.

Crazy to contrast Chuvalo with Jerry Quarry, the betting would have been that Chuvalo would have been the one to end up with problems. It wasn't like that at all.

Mark Hunt was the closest thing we had. We've never had a guy on par with Chuvalo though. Boxers of that era were extraordinary. Guy has to be the toughest guy to ever step in a ring or a cage.

Comment actually made me laugh, but not totally fair, Gus beat up Jones and Cormier worse than anybody.

Which I don't disagree with or that he's a great fighter but he still lost everytime he has faced a top level fighter and is more famous for those losses than for any of his wins.

Plus the post was just an obvious joke that had to be made.

Back