• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Is The Biggest Guitar Hero Of This Era?

You know, I thought of a guy I did a gig with some years ago. I'm not sure if he's still active but you guys ever hear of Melvin Taylor?

I was a kid playing in a very mediocre blues band. We got a call to open up for this guy. I had never heard of him in my life and couldn't imagine he was anyone special playing in a little dive in Maine.

Of course, being young musicians, we thought we were hot shit. We played our set, a few old blue standards. Competent enough I guess. The crowd seemed into it. After our set, we were introduced to Taylor and he was a really cool guy to talk to. He complimented the cover of Sweet Home Chicago we did, talked to me and the guitar player about gear, offered us cigarettes. Really down to earth guy, treated us like equals. I have to say though, when he and his band hit the stage, I was humbled.
To this day, one of the best sounding live bands I have ever seen. They did a cover of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson, all instrumental. He used a looper to mimic the keyboard part and then copped the vocals on guitar. I wish I could find a video of them doing it.
Anyone, here's a cover of a ZZ Top song he did.

While none of these might have the chops or technique of jazz musicians and other highly touted guitar players, they all have their very own distinct style that is a culmination of necessary influences and their own creativity.

Dagon from Inquisition

KzR from Bolzer

Nameless Void of Negative Plane

You know, I thought of a guy I did a gig with some years ago. I'm not sure if he's still active but you guys ever hear of Melvin Taylor?

I was a kid playing in a very mediocre blues band. We got a call to open up for this guy. I had never heard of him in my life and couldn't imagine he was anyone special playing in a little dive in Maine.

Of course, being young musicians, we thought we were hot shit. We played our set, a few old blue standards. Competent enough I guess. The crowd seemed into it. After our set, we were introduced to Taylor and he was a really cool guy to talk to. He complimented the cover of Sweet Home Chicago we did, talked to me and the guitar player about gear, offered us cigarettes. Really down to earth guy, treated us like equals. I have to say though, when he and his band hit the stage, I was humbled.
To this day, one of the best sounding live bands I have ever seen. They did a cover of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson, all instrumental. He used a looper to mimic the keyboard part and then copped the vocals on guitar. I wish I could find a video of them doing it.
Anyone, here's a cover of a ZZ Top song he did.

I've seen Melvin probably around 50 times or so. As soon as I turned 21 I started hitting the Chicago blues clubs regularly and Rosa's Lounge was a very regular stop. He used to play a Friday and Saturday there like every month and we'd go see him constantly. Moma Rosa was great behind the bar and the gigs had a really homey feel to them but goddamn did Melvin just tear the roof off of that place every time he took the stage! I've seen him in other settings but Rosa's was "the spot" because he was so regular there for years. Sugar Blue would come play with him sometimes (and typically get loaded.)

Like you said super nice and humble guy with just insane talent. The Slack Band changed lineups fairly regularly over the years but one of my favorite line-ups had Sam Goode on rythym guitar and vocals. Always loved seeing them do The Stones "Miss You."

I've always told people, I've seen plenty of people cover Hendrix or Vaughn but when Melvin does it he doesn't just play it, he actually pays compliment to the songs. He's not stretching his abilities to get by, he's lending his own incredible style to already incredible pieces of music. I mean sure, John Mayer can play some Hendrix but he doesn't bring anything to those songs the way Melvin does. He just plays them, Melvin delivers with a feel for the music that's truly representative of how they were originally composed and played imo. Not to rip on Mayer, I'm not one to say he sucks but I find him highly overrated as his playing is completely derivative of better blues musicians from the past. I've seen him live and he's never "wowed" me. Melvin has made my jaw hit the floor every time I've seen him.

Anyway, I digress. That's awesome that you opened for him. Makes me wonder if I've ever seen your band as I used to hit the blues clubs a lot. Other than Rosa's, Kingston Mines, Blues on Halstead, Fitzgerald's and a place in Evergreen Park I forget the name of (that closed down) were all regular spots for me in my twenties and thirties. In fact my first date with my wife I took her to see Melvin at Rosa's. Ha, kinda forgot about that until just now.

Edit; just noticed you opened for him in Maine so I guess it's not that likely I've seen your band unless you ever played Chicago.

Last edited:
I've seen Melvin probably around 50 times or so. As soon as I turned 21 I started hitting the Chicago blues clubs regularly and Rosa's Lounge was a very regular stop. He used to play a Friday and Saturday there like every month and we'd go see him constantly. Moma Rosa was great behind the bar and the gigs had a really homey feel to them but goddamn did Melvin just tear the roof off of that place every time he took the stage! I've seen him in other settings but Rosa's was "the spot" because he was so regular there for years. Sugar Blue would come play with him sometimes (and typically get loaded.)

Like you said super nice and humble guy with just insane talent. The Slack Band changed lineups fairly regularly over the years but one of my favorite line-ups had Sam Goode on rythym guitar and vocals. Always loved seeing them do The Stones "Miss You."

I've always told people, I've seen plenty of people cover Hendrix or Vaughn but when Melvin does it he doesn't just play it, he actually pays compliment to the songs. He's not stretching his abilities to get by, he's lending his own incredible style to already incredible pieces of music. I mean sure, John Mayer can play some Hendrix but he doesn't bring anything to those songs the way Melvin does. He just plays them, Melvin delivers with a feel for the music that's truly representative of how they were originally composed and played imo. Not to rip on Mayer, I'm not one to say he sucks but I find him highly overrated as his playing is completely derivative of better blues musicians from the past. I've seen him live and he's never "wowed" me. Melvin has made my jaw hit the floor every time I've seen him.

Anyway, I digress. That's awesome that you opened for him. Makes me wonder if I've ever seen your band as I used to hit the blues clubs a lot. Other than Rosa's, Kingston Mines, Blues on Halstead, Fitzgerald's and a place in Evergreen Park I forget the name of (that closed down) were all regular spots for me in my twenties and thirties. In fact my first date with my wife I took her to see Melvin at Rosa's. Ha, kinda forgot about that until just now.

Edit; just noticed you opened for him in Maine so I guess it's not that likely I've seen your band unless you ever played Chicago.
No, I never made it out of Maine. We did OK for what music scene we have up here but thats not saying much.

Yeah, it was a treat opening for Taylor. His bass player blew up my amp. His manager was this little french dude who got sort of pissed that I wanted them to pay for the speakers. He ended up giving me 100 dollars, not really enough to cover my loss but whatever. I wasn't to upset about it

I played with one dude you may have heard of, Jason Hemmens. I was in a band with him and his brother.in fact, that was the band I was in when we opened for Taylor. Jason has done well for himself. His whole family was super talented. His sister was on that show Wildcats, about the cheerleaders a few years back.

Zack Wylde

The question was Who today (someone who is relatively new, someone who debuted in the last 15 years) has the stature of a Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Van Halen, Rhoads, Or Malmsteen?

Zack Wylde made his pro debut on the No Rest For The Wicked Album by Oxxy that was almost 30 years ago. In the 80s we had so many guitar heroes at any given time who had debuted within the last 7 or 8 years that it's really sad that it's so hard to think of a guitar hero now who has debuted in the last 15 years. Even Zack Wylde, though he's good is far from the legendary stature of Van Halen, Rhoads, Malmsteen, etc. Those three made their debuts within 5 years - from 1978-1983.

From the 60's through the 80's electric guitar was still in it's infancy and there was ample room in the music industry for guitar heroes to shine.
These days there's no shortage of amazingly talented guitarists. The trick is discovering them and granting them deserved recognition.
Buckethead and Guthrie Govan are the obvious answers. Less known guitar heroes that i enjoy are Plini, Sean Ashe, and Bumblefoot.

There's no shortage of talent on youtube if you look for it.
Guys like this are both inspiring and make you want to quit guitar at the same time.

Back