Who is the best sleeper grappler in the UFC?

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
You always get these guys who no one has heard of that somehow have more grappling credentials than the somewhat mainstream folk. Pantoja, Gil Burns, Davi Ramos etc.

Anyone stand out?

This is your chance to hipster the fuck out amidst a page full of garbage Cerrone Conor hot takes. Don't underestimate everyone's intelligence and claim Blaydes is a sleeper anything.

Not sure if he counts, but Cláudio ‘Hannibal’ Silva is a bad motherfucker who loves tapping people. I guess he’s fairly well known though, so might not be what you’re looking for, TS.

Nate. People think of him as a relentless boxer but he was tied with Maia for 2nd most UFC subs for about a year. Sub win over Jim Miller which is really impressive. Bjj black belt from Cesar Gracie who is notorious for being really selective on who he gives black belts.

Nate. People think of him as a relentless boxer but he was tied with Maia for 2nd most UFC subs for about a year. Sub win over Jim Miller which is really impressive.
Do they? Everyone knows Nate has scary BJJ.

I think Anthony Pettis is pretty slept on. More known for his crazy standup shit, subbed a lot of great guys. I feel as though even he sleeps on his ground game too some fights. I'm still pissed that he got stood up against Dustin, I think he had that...

Not sure if he counts, but Cláudio ‘Hannibal’ Silva is a bad motherfucker who loves tapping people. I guess he’s fairly well known though, so might not be what you’re looking for, TS.
Nah that's definitely a good one.

OSP. He actually is seriously slick and creative on the ground. I think a lot of people just think he is a athlete who came from NFL and strikes.. but he is actually very crafty on the ground and has tons of wins by submission

I always think that everyone thinks he is a fish on the ground, because his opponents try to take him down, and they don't seem too bothered at all with going to the floor with him and welcome it.

OSP. He actually is seriously slick and creative on the ground. I think a lot of people just think he is a athlete who came from NFL and strikes.. but he is actually very crafty on the ground and has tons of wins by submission

I always think that everyone thinks he is a fish on the ground, because his opponents try to take him down, and they don't seem too bothered at all with going to the floor with him and welcome it.
I usually give him a better chance of winning when it is on the deck. His striking can be sloppy.

I don’t think Alexy Olyneik’s grappling is acknowledged enough. I think it gets over shadowed by his age therefore I consider him to be a sleeper.

people forget he is a 4th degree BB under Ricardo Liborio and had *45* submission wins.

Stipe has never spent more than a few seconds on his back except against cormier and he’s gotten up every time he’s ever been taken down. Dominates positionally and has never lost the grappling aspect of a fight against any fighter

Donald Cerrone.. Dude is a Muay Thai beast but has 17 submission wins and has never been submitted. In fact, he didn't get his first win by KO/TKO until he defeated Charles Oliveira in the UFC

Rodolfo Vieira, aka the black belt hunter, is going to be a problem at MW for a lot of guys. I'm surprised he doesn't have much hype. His credentials are ridiculous

Tai "I am Jiu Jitsu" Tuivasa

If Santiago Ponzinibio could ever get healthy we'd get to see more of his ground game. I find him to be pretty underrated in general.

Donald Cerrone.. Dude is a Muay Thai beast but has 17 submission wins and has never been submitted. In fact, he didn't get his first win by KO/TKO until he defeated Charles Oliveira in the UFC
So not a sleeper?

Valentina Shevchenko. Everyone's afraid of her striking and I don't blame them, but most of the finishes in her career have been by submission.
Not many folks have a win by Ezekiel choke on their records like she does.

Dillon Danis who is outstanding grapler said that Conor is one of the best guys he´s grapled with but it just like Chael says that we never see him having to rely on it because he KTFO everyone he touches with that left hand. Its one of those punches that the fighters he faces look shocked at the power like they cant belieave it.

Back