Votes: 51 15.4%
  • Other (I can't think of anyone else)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

ovbious

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fedor was the HW king of the 2000s. that's a fact even if you think he isn't the GOAT.

But we have a muddier picture in the current decade, with 5 fighters in a somewhat similar position.

If you are into MMA Math, then things get even harder.

I pick Werdum for beating two guys who looked undefeatable at the time and for his path to the title.

But I know an argument can be made for the others.

Definitely this guy
EDOie-Z-W4-AAh8-Ev.jpg

Werdum closely followed by Stipe. Stipe has had an amazing run, but I feel like Werdum has had the bigger impact.

Werdum choked out Fedor and sent sherdog crashing with shertards/fedor nuthuggers still suffering from delusion to this day. Werdum changed the landscape again with another choke victim in Cain Velasquez and rewrote the entire UFC policy on HW sea level fights.

Werdum for me personally.

It's probably Stipe though.

Werdum closely followed by Stipe.

Werdum choked out Fedor and sent sherdog crashing with shertards/fedor nuthuggers still suffering from delusional to this day. Werdum changed the landscape again with another choke victim in Cain Velasquez and rewrote the entire UFC policy on HW sea level fights.
Confirmed cheater too. Null and Void like Jones and Silva.

Werdum. Since the start of the decade he's:
*Become the first man to decisively beat Fedor
*Went on a winning streak that consisted him beating the likes of Big Country, Mike Russow, Big Nog where he avenged an earlier loss as well, Travis Browne when beating him actually allowed you to make a name of yourself and a KO of Mark Hunt that led to him winning the interim title.
*Became the Undisputed HW champ when he defeated Cain when Cain was supposed to be invincible.

Unfortunately the last half of the decade hasn't been as kind to Werdum but 2010-2015 solidified him as Heavyweight of the decade imo.

Has to be Stipe, I think Werdum may have the best two wins but Stipe has beaten Werdum, DC, Dos Santos, Overeem, Ngannou and Arlovski this decade.

Stipe, and this shouldnt even be a question.

Werdum beat a fading Fedor (who went on to get absolutely demolished against Bigfoot afterwards), and a shot cain who fought like once every two years. He got beat by Overeem in a stinker, and then got dropped like a sack of potatoes against Stipe.

Cain, pretty much made a name out of beating JDS twice, and whooping Bigfoot and Lesnar.

Werdum closely followed by Stipe. Stipe has had an amazing run, but I feel like Werdum has had the bigger impact.

Werdum choked out Fedor and sent sherdog crashing with shertards/fedor nuthuggers still suffering from delusion to this day. Werdum changed the landscape again with another choke victim in Cain Velasquez and rewrote the entire UFC policy on HW sea level fights.
You do realize that Stipe KO'd Werdum, right? If it was from 2010-2015 you are probably right but 2016-2020 included no way.

If we look at accomplishments I’d say Stipe...

If we look at resume alone I’d actually say JDS... dudes been through a meat grinder of a schedule, consistency over a longer period, and actually still performing at a quasi-high level past prime (Zombie JDS)

Most people judge Fedor as HW GOAT based on Fedor PRIME. If you judge "Black Fedor" (Cormier) the same way, you take out his 40-year-old fight. That leaves you with Cormier, undefeated heavyweight, who beat PRIME Stipe. Stipe, only a 1-div fighter, has the better HW record, no question, but there is nobody Stipe beat that Cormier could not and would not have beaten had his teammate, Cain, not pushed him into the LHW division.

I'm not sure but Seraldo Babalu is the greatest light heavyweight of the night

Dont forget that on his title run Stipe got em all out of there inside one round until Francis.

Back