Who has better BJJ and standup between Big Nog and Werdum?

hayz

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Werdums stand up is SO improved from where it was a few years ago, he really showcased that versus Roy Nelson and so has Big Nogs stand up improved although he is significantly slower.

BJJ is just a mystery to me, what do you guys think?

I would love it if they engaged in a ground battle, that would either be truly amazing or awful due to them cancelling each other out imo.

Honestly, I think the verdict is still out on how improved Werdum's standup is. He looked good against Nelson, but it's just Nelson, the guy's built to absorb damage.

Nog i think has better boxing and head movement, while Werdum has better Muy Thai.

BJJ edge goes to Werdum, but i doubt it goes to the ground.

Werdum better at both. Bigger advantage on the ground though.

Honestly, I think the verdict is still out on how improved Werdum's standup is. He looked good against Nelson, but it's just Nelson, the guy's built to absorb damage.

Nog i think has better boxing and head movement, while Werdum has better Muy Thai.

I agree. Not taking anything away from Werdum or Nelso though.

Standup edge overall i would give to Nog.

BJJ Werdum.

Nogs left hand would have a field day against Werdums defense. Grappling goes the other way

werdum doesn't have as much power as nog but he can land quit a lot in a short amount of time. Boxing goes to nog, thai boxing goes to werdum, striking about = overall

At this point I think Werdum is the better striker. He is the better grappler, for sure (even though when they fought back in the day it was much closer).

Werdum probably edges him out everywhere.

I think Werdum, Mir and Nog can beat each other standing up on a given day. It is hard to say who has the best stand up.

werdum everywhere ainec

nogs a legend and people get nostalgic but its 2012 folks

Boxing - Nogueira
Overall striking - Werdum
BJJ - Werdum
Chin - Werdum
Speed - Werdum
Power - Nogueira
Takedowns - Werdum

Verdict - Nogueira has a very good chance in beating a top 5 HW but Werdum is the favorite for a reason. If Nogueira knocks Werdum down, he will make an mistake following him, (Mir2, Fedor) so Nogueira needs to be very careful against a dangerous Werdum.

I'm pulling for Nogueira but I see Werdum winning

Standing - Very close, slight edge to Werdum.
Ground - Werdum is likely better.

Verdum has a more diverse striking arsenal. Big Nog is pretty one dimensional with striking (boxing). BJJ?? Hands down, Verdum.

the fight they had Nog won with much better stand up (boxing) that said I think Werdum has improved a ton since then in MT training chute boxe. submission wise I would think it would be close but i might give a slight edge to werdum there having more recent abu dhabi world BJJ success. I would give werdum the edge in stand up now as well. Nog had some of the best boxing in MMA (trained with the cuban national boxing team) but he has taken more punishment and doesnt have the same ability to not get ko'd. Id pick Werdum in a rematch. They are similar Nog just has a lot more mileage on him!

Back