Who gets more revisionist hate, Penn or Tyson?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It seems the youth of today think both are overrated due to the massive fall offs their careers had.

Wish these kids would just stay off my lawn...

Penn. People here continually talk about Tyson like he's the boxing GOAT. Ali had a similar start (great start when he was young then a 3.5 year delay due to his Vietnam stance). He came back and became the champ for years during the greatest era ever in HW boxing. Tyson was a bust when he came back from his jail stint. They were almost exactly the same age when they came back, too (28 for Ali and 29 for Tyson).

Mike Tyson? If so he gets way more hate cause no one know who the Fck BJ Penn(22.5k) is compared to Mike Tyson (5.5m)

I'm assuming you mean Mike Tyson, and the revisionist history surrounding Iron Mike goes in the opposite direction. People nowadays tend to think he was better than he actually was. Pretty much no boxing historian thinks Mike was the best HW of his generation, and certainly not one of the HW GOATs; yet plenty of casuals think he's in the GOAT discussion, or that he would have been if he didn't go to jail. Teddy Atlas, Mike's former trainer, explained it perfectly on the JRE. Mike had amazing physical talent, but he didn't have the mental makeup to be one of the greats. He was the classic front-runner who looked like a world-beater against over-matched competition, but he'd come undone when faced with resistance.

Penn obviously. In his prime, he was the best LW ever. Tyson's best wins are an old Holmes, who lost his last 2 fights and was coming out of retirement, and LHW Spinks. Yet casuals think he is boxings GOAT

Tyson WITH Cus'Damato and Kevin Rooney was one of the best ever.

They were the Tyson whisperers and with them I think he beats prime ali.

Penn. People here continually talk about Tyson like he's the boxing GOAT. Ali had a similar start (great start when he was young then a 3.5 year delay due to his Vietnam stance). He came back and became the champ for years during the greatest era ever in HW boxing. Tyson was a bust when he came back from his jail stint. They were almost exactly the same age when they came back, too (28 for Ali and 29 for Tyson).

Revisionist spotted! Tyson came out of jail, went on a streak and won the belt back.

Idiots look at Penn and think he sucks because of his W/L record

There were kids who didn't even have him in their top 3 LW of all time lists
<Deported1>

Tyson has been massively retconned to be a better boxer and a better person.

In terms of percentage of each fan base Penn, in shear numbers Tyson.

Revisionist spotted! Tyson came out of jail, went on a streak and won the belt back.

He beat Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon, LOL. That's absolutely nothing like beating Joe Frazier, the 1970s George Foreman, Ken Norton, Ernie Shavers, etc. Once Tyson faced elite competition (Holyfield and Lewis), he lost. And it wasn't due to age. Holyfield is older than he is and Lewis is the same age.

Lol Tyson is super overrated though, escpecially by clueless Mma fans who love to romanticize his punching power and don't have a good grasp of the depth of greatness in boxing history.

Idiots look at Penn and think he sucks because of his W/L record

There were kids who didn't even have him in their top 3 LW of all time lists
<Deported1>
I saw one that didn't have him in the Top 10.

I almost lost my shit.

Tyson WITH Cus'Damato and Kevin Rooney was one of the best ever.

They were the Tyson whisperers and with them I think he beats prime ali.

He never fought anyone close to Ali's level so there's no way of knowing. Foreman and Ernie Shavers both saw weaknesses in prime Tyson so that's why they made comebacks. Tyson never could deal with someone who hit hard and bully him back...but never faced anyone like that in the 80s. The best guy he beat was Michael Spinks who was LHW sized...the 2nd best fighter was a fat, out-of-shape Larry Holmes who said he was laughing all the way to the bank after the fight (meaning he knew he wasn't really prepared and a shelf of his former self).

Back