Who do you want to model your grappling style too?

VTJas81

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the way Diego Sanchez grapples. He constantly pressures and never gases. He likes the top game and he doesn't stay in his guard long. He doesn't fall into guard and try sweeps to reverse. He's like a pitbull. I think his jj is good for MMA and streetfights because he's ultra aggressive. Ppl who pull guard I notice tend to be more passive. Im not a big guy either and small guys tend to play the guard game a lot.

Haven't really got one as of yet. I'm not too strong at my guard pass at all. Once I'm in side I'm sorta ok.

I'd like to model my game after Eddie Bravo but I don't have the flexibility in my knees. But I've seen some of his matches and just got his book. Haven't had a chance to drill and practice the moves yet but yet, I'd like to give it a shot. Try more halfguard moves cos I seem to be able to catch a lot of people in it when they try to mount.

Without GI=Fedor. He has excellent weight shifting, jerky movements that are very effective.
With GI=Royce or someone of the like.

i like matt lindland's style he is very methodical and controlled, opp can't reverse or eff sweep him; what is more impressive is he renders them unable to setup or explode into subs.
he turns what should be competitive grappling matches into onesided wrestling matches, it is amazing how he shuts these guys down..not just avg grapplers, but top name guys.

almaeda..doerkensen..are just two top grapplers who could do nothing to or with matt and that is impressive in itself..not exciting but def eff.

I used to model my game after Nogueira, but I got sick of working from the bottom.

Now I try to use lots of trips and throws, and work from the top. I guess I try to combine Bustamante's slick BJJ with Fedor's great control and throws and setups for striking.

i like royce's tight relaxed game, and used to try to emulate it, but im more into saku's style now, its more fluid with lots of twists and spins.

devante said:
i like matt lindland's style he is very methodical and controlled, opp can't reverse or eff sweep him; what is more impressive is he renders them unable to setup or explode into subs.
he turns what should be competitive grappling matches into onesided wrestling matches, it is amazing how he shuts these guys down..not just avg grapplers, but top name guys.

almaeda..doerkensen..are just two top grapplers who could do nothing to or with matt and that is impressive in itself..not exciting but def eff.

Obviously you haven't seen Saulo Ribeiro vs Matt Lindland and Fabricio Werdum vs Matt Lindland.................

I don't emulate. I don't want to be the "next" anyone. I want to be the first me...

Fabricio Werdum vs Matt Lindland was...... can't even describe it. Past the takedown, Lindland could not get anything going at all. His wrists were controlled and he was on the back foot stuck in Werdum's guard and could not pass, or counter or anything.

Haven't seen Saulo vs Lindland though

I don't want to model my grappling syle to anyone, I plan to just keep training, improve my grappling and find out what works for me. Also I don't think I'm anwhere near the level I need to be to effectively emulate a pro fighters style.

I would like to be Like Mir and be good from top and bottom, and like Frank Shamrock and have a very aggressive guard alwyas lookinhg for holds.

diego definately. wrestler take downs with bjj rear naked chokes

Back