• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Who do you think won Lyoto Machida VS Phil Davis?

You lost the argument the moment you tried to say that a fighter should be deducted a point for taking someone down.

If you try to take your opponent down, and you succeed...point. Again, that simple.

Machida lost. Davis won. Move the hell on.

Just because something ridiculous happens, doesn't mean everyone should just accept it. It was a bad decision and almost everyone knows it. Takedowns are highly over rated.

The scoring system is a joke and is ruining this sport. I know several people who doesn't watch as much MMA as they did before because of this shit.

You lost the argument the moment you tried to say that a fighter should be deducted a point for taking someone down.

If you try to take your opponent down, and you succeed...point. Again, that simple.

Machida lost. Davis won. Move the hell on.

You don't get points for doing anything in MMA, you get deducted a point based on either breaking the rules or what your opponent does to you. Both fighters begin the round at 10 points each, then depending on how the round goes, 1 point or maybe more is deducted from one of the fighters.

So a takedown does not score you a point, otherwise you wouldn't be capped at a limit of 10 points based on what you do in a fight. I think the dumbest thing is when Rogan or Goldberg sees someone landing shots and says "he's scoring points".

Still haven't seen this fight, was out of town, screwed up one of my parlays though.

Machida clearly, not even worth a poll.

the fight was boring and so is Machida's style.

So little happened it could have been scored a draw, both were about equally ineffective at doing any significant damage at all. But there is no way Phil Davis won that fight outside of the small empty space in the judges heads.

I think Machida won but sometimes I think the judges will throw one out there to get people talking and make big money rematches/change future fighters gameplans.

Holy shit sticks this thread is still going strong. The MMA community got this one right, Machida won. Sadly the judges had a terrible night.

Phil Davis won that match. If they were to ever fight again Davis would finish him.

Davis did nothing but throw strikes that were blocked and try and stel rounds with late takedowns.

Would've loved to see a 5-rounder.

I'm not sure why people are THIS upset over this decision.

This isn't the Quinton/Machida fight. Machida never had Phil in any type of danger, whatsoever.

At 35, I don't see Machida changing the way he does things very much. Unless he can adapt and be a little more aggressive, he's going to continue finding himself on the short end of these close fights.

the night of the fight I voted for phil. Havn't rewatched but have heard some good arguments for machida.

This could be the most commented-on boring fight in history. Nobody cares. Neither fighter came to fight and the judges flipped a coin with what they had to work with. Even if the decision was bad, it wasn't so cut and dry...far from a robbery.

Machida fans just won't let this thing die.

This is still going on?
Davis 29-28 to put it to rest. On an average Brazil card there's often more blatant "robberies" deserving of discussion that people forget within days. Granted this was a high profile match with higher stakes than usual, but I hope this will encourage Mr. Dragon to step it up a notch in the fire-breathing department.

Only the people who dislike Machida or are fans of Davis scored it for Phil in the poll. This fight is a great example of what is wrong in MMA judging.

Obviously it wasn't a good fight, but there was still a clear winner here.

This is still going on?
Davis 29-28 to put it to rest. On an average Brazil card there's often more blatant "robberies" deserving of discussion that people forget within days. Granted this was a high profile match with higher stakes than usual, but I hope this will encourage Mr. Dragon to step it up a notch in the fire-breathing department.

Oh thank god that taedium finally came and put the matter to rest. Nothing to see here guys. taedium has spoken.

Back