Who Did It Better UFC 166 or Pride FC 33: The Second Coming?

Shaky Bones

White Belt
Reaction score
So there is probably little doubt by now that what we witnessed was probably the best UFC event ever. There were maybe two fights that weren't fantastic but really ALL the fights tonight were spectacular with Gilbert vs Diego not only being the stand out but probably the most epic (while not the most technical) MMA (or at least UFC) fight ever.

However in my mind at least until tonight Pride FC 33: The Second Coming was the single greatest event in MMA history.

But does after tonight in retrospect make UFC 166 the new king of events?

To remind those who may not remember Pride 33 included:

- Dan Henderon's epic KO victory of Wanderlei Silva to secure two Pride titles
- Nick Diaz's sensational dismantling of Takanori Gomi
- Sokoudjou's flash and violent knock out of Little Nog
- Shogun's epic war and Ko of Alistair Overeem
- Among other great fights

Of course tonight we witnessed:

- The Epic war of heart, conditioning and pure desire of Gilbert Melendez and Diego Sanchez
- The clinic of skill by Cain Velasquez and the heart of Jr. Dos Santos
- The Violence of Hector Lombard against Nate Marquardt
- The sensational performances by Gabriel Gonzaga and John Dodson
- Amongst a stacked main and prelim card.

So who did it better? Is UFC 166 the greatest MMA event ever? Is Pride 33 still the champ? Or am I wrong with both of these events was something or some other promotion the greatest MMA even ever?

Last edited:
A card where the main event underwhelms is not that great of a card no matter what.

Cain-JDS was boring and predictable and basically a repeat of the second fight.

Not to be a dick, but Bushido 9 is basically the standard when it comes to MMA events

Mikey so I guess you didn't like tonights fights? If so do you agree with Pride 33 as the greatest even ever or is there another event that you consider the best ever?

To remind those who may not remember Pride 33 included:

- Dan Henderon's epic KO victory of Wanderlei Silva to secure two Pride titles
- Nick Diaz's sensational dismantling of Takanori Gomi
- Little Nogs flash knock out of the seemingly 'next big thing' Sokoudjou
- Shogun epic war and Ko of Alistair Overeem
- Among other great fights

Not sure if this was just a typo but, it was Sokoudjou that scored a flash KO of Lil Nog, not the other way around.

And I would hardly call the Shogun/Overeem fight an "epic war." Good fight, but "epic war" is a stretch.

Diaz/Gomi was everything and then some and still may rank as my favorite fight ever. Maybe not the greatest, but definitely my favorite.

Last edited:
Personally I still rate Pride 10 as my all-time favorite.

Sakuraba breaking Renzo's arm.

Crazy battle between Fujita and Ken Shamrock.

Ryan Gracie demolishing somebody.

Igor beating down Enson Inoue.

Mark Kerr nearly breaking some russian guys spine with a can opener.

Yvel brutally ko'ed Goodridge with a headkick.

Wanderlei vs Mezger was another classic.

A card where the main event underwhelms is not that great of a card no matter what.

Cain-JDS was boring and predictable and basically a repeat of the second fight.

I guess I watched a different fight JDS/Cain III was a WAR.

ufc 166 wasn't even close to the best card ever. It was a solid card, and much better than most of the garbage cards the ufc has now days, but in terms of history it's average.

ufc 166 wasn't even close to the best card ever. It was a solid card, and much better than most of the garbage cards the ufc has now days, but in terms of history it's average.

Seriously? Im fine if you think there have been better cards but its easily in the discussion of best ever.

Card had everything

-2 prospects debuted in the prelims and looked great in Horiguchi and Fili. Built hype trains
-Multiple vicious knockouts in Lombard, Dodson, Amagov, Gonzaga
- an Absolute throwback WAR between Gil and Diego

-The Decisions were all good. Sotoropoulus-Noons was surprisingly good/interesting. Cormier vs. Nelson was not a bad fight and Cormier looked great. Kauffman vs. Eye is getting no love and the fight was great. I personally had it Kauffman 2-1 rounds but wasn't entirely upset that Eye took it. Neither girl deserved a loss for that effort. I think anyone that thinks the girls can't throw hard leather should watch this fight. Dolloway Boetsch was not bad either.

-JDS and Cain although one sided still had some good exchanges and was fun to watch.

The just bleed god received a good deal many sacrifices tonight.

The only downfall was the event had only one submission but even then, it was a sick choke.

I'd say even between PRIDE 33 and UFC 166 in terms of fight excitement.

I still have the Gomi vs Diaz fight > Melendez vs Sanchez. That fight had unreal drama going on from beginning to end, with Gomi turtling up a helpless Diaz for the first 3 min and then Diaz coming on strong later on mixed with an occasional big bombs from Gomi stemming the surge.

Hendo vs Wanderlei = Cain Velasquez vs JDS.

But best card deliverance so far? It's still got to be 2005 PRIDE Bushido 9, the LW and WW tournanments, like somebody said earlier.

Back