1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Who did better against Tecia Torres: Weili or Joanna?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Seiryoku Zenyo, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Seiryoku Zenyo We are all one

A common opponent might give an idea for their upcoming fight.

Plus, do you believe Zhang would beat Rose? She was schooling Andrade before the clinch-slam-ko.

2. Spacetrucker Green Belt

I certainly believe Zhang would bully Rose - Zhang is too strong and explosive, plus has damn solid technique.

3. reddhelium Black Belt

it might... but it might not.

leading up to the poirier-gaethje fight, you might think gaethje would be a lock to defeat poirier, since michael johnson (common opponent) starched poirier in 1 round, but gaethje finished michael johnson in 2 rounds.

but then poirier went out and finished gaethje.

poirier>gaethje>m.johnson>poirier

mmamath doesnt work.

4. TheJohnnyWalkerEra Black Belt

Weili is going to punch, elbow, and knee Joanna's Tony Hinchcliffe head right back to Olsztyn

5. Cylence Flying Arlovski Belt

Joanna did better against her, over the course of a longer fight. That said, I put very little stock into common opponents. Styles make fights. I'm picking Joanna for entirely different reasons.

Zhang is all wrong for Rose and would whoop her. Too big, too strong. Rose might have a successful round or two, but Zhang would eventually overwhelm her.

6. EXOICHO PRIDE

Weilli has shown that she has trouble with people who know how to handle distance. Her accuracy is nothing impressive and she slows down in longer fights.

As long as Joanna doesn't get caught early I see it looking like Joanna vs Gadelha / Andrade

7. capnlarge Silver Belt

I think Joanna is on the decline, so her past fights may not be that relevant

8. aerius Silver Belt

Zhang vs. Rose is interesting, and depends a lot on how Zhang chooses to fight. If she tries to play a technical outside striking game like she did against Torres and allows Rose to fight at her pace, she'll get badly outpointed and lose a decision. She has not shown the technical skills to hang with Rose's speed, footwork, and setups. If she uses an aggressive pressure game she can melt Rose and finish her sometime in the 2nd half of the fight. Put the pressure on Rose and she always gets melted sooner or later.

As for who did better against Torres, it's close enough that it doesn't mean anything. Zhang & Joanna were both in solid control against Torres. It's not like one of them squeaked out a decision while the other 30-24'd her.

9. Better Every Day Zhang finishing Andrade avatar Platinum Member

This would be a fight between my two favorites. I'd love to see this fight happen, but I'd be emotionally torn: happy for whoever wins; sad for whoever loses. If forced to put some money down, I'd bet on Weili.

10. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

How they did against Tecia doesn't give much insight into how their fight will go imho.

11. ignorant MMA fan Creator of shit thread

The only value I find in the Torres/Zhang fight is that Zhang couldn't finish Teicia and maybe aside from one occasion was unable to get much going on the ground. The relevance for me is that I don't expect Joanna to be kept down either, which makes me believe this is going the full 5 rounds. And if Zhang gets stuck on the outside, Joanna is going to pick her apart at her range and win rounds on the scorecards.

If Zhang wins, it will be initiated by an elbow in the clinch up against the fence. If she connects, she may be able to follow it up with GnP or a RNC.

12. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

Joanna has to survive the initial onslaught. Once we get to rd 3 or so she can start to make a bigger distance and chip away as Zhang's starts to slow down