Who coined the term haymaker?

Hester65

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know what a haymaker is, but I don't know who started its use or where it came from. I guess this is a bit of trivia.

The reason I ask this is because I was asked myself and I had no clue.

From "Listening to American" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, New York, 1982): "haymaker, for a knockout punch, appeared in 1912, perhaps from the 1880 'hit the hay,' go to sleep."
"haymaker" (a powerful boxing punch which mimics the motion of cutting hay with a scythe).

I know what a haymaker is, but I don't know who started its use or where it came from. I guess this is a bit of trivia.

The reason I ask this is because I was asked myself and I had no clue.

Umm, partially because his last name is Haye and he throws bombs so that's how he got the nickname HayEmaker

Umm, partially because his last name is Haye and he throws bombs so that's how he got the nickname HayEmaker

I wasn't asking about David Haye's nickname....

but thanks for trying to help

From "Listening to American" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, New York, 1982): "haymaker, for a knockout punch, appeared in 1912, perhaps from the 1880 'hit the hay,' go to sleep."
"haymaker" (a powerful boxing punch which mimics the motion of cutting hay with a scythe).

Thanks, know I can tell the person who asked me about it where it came from...

Also, thanks for adding to my boxing knowledge

Back