Who’s to blame for Woodley always getting stuck on the cage?

He needs some EPO or move his camps to high elevation to increase his red blood cell concentration level. We never saw him use much of that new left hand he was talking about, didn’t see much of his thunderous leg kicks either. That overhand right is pretty predictable now given that his only method to set it up is by the pull-back counter.

He definitely needs to work on his cardio and slim-down if he wants to win. Overeem has switched camps many times and is way slimmer than his prime but he still finds a way to win

I would have to blame

tenor.gif

Barack Obama

It’s just not a good tactic. It made more sense against WB because of the style match up, but I struggle to understand why he is constantly against the cage. He will sometimes actually put himself there; it’s not like he always gets pressured and is forced onto it.

Anthony Pettis - same camp - always finds himself against the cage too and it makes me want to scream. In Pettis’ case his hands aren’t that good and he doesn’t have the crazy power to deter people. He’s also physically weak and shines at kicking range.

Is it a coaching issue or are these fighters just lacking in fight IQ and skills such as footwork? You’d obviously want your coaches to correct those things, but some fighters aren’t fixable. I will hear their coaches saying in between rounds for the fighters to get off the cage, but it never happens. Woodley did also have this issue before going to Roufusport. It’s also annoying how insistent Woodley is on throwing only singular punches. It’s rare to see him throw a real combination.

Racism probably

He has good hands but lacks the footwork to close the distance so he backs up and plays counterstriker, hoping to catch his opponent.
this
and he's done it for most/all of his recent fights, and yet people still act surprised when they see this kind of performance time and time again.

This is nothing new, he's always been very gun shy even though he has terrific power in his hands, kind of always lived on that. But when he's had to bite down and fight like he's been forced to do in his two last outings, he's settled for surviving, I didn't like the body language in this fight, he was giving burns a high five at the end of the round while burns was trying to take his head off, it was kind of like an attempt for an agreement, i'm not gonna fight and you are not gonna kill me okay?

Everytime Woodley gets blasted, he simply freezes and sticks his hands out, he's not rolling with punches, he's not blasting back, I think he never really got over that barrier of fear of getting hit.

The thing that baffled me was in round 4 and 5 Woodley was perfectly fine with hanging out in the bear hug clinch. Even turned it around and pushed Gilbert's back too the cage. IDK whut the Hell that was he needed too KO Gilbert.

Tyrone was scared of being finished so he thought it would be a moral victory to make it to the end. He can always talk about rust and doing better next time.

Back