• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

White Tea and Fat Loss

MikeMartial

Black Belt
Reaction score
White Tea extract induces lipolytic activity and inhibits adipogenesis in human subcutaneous (pre)-adipocytes

Jorn Sohle , Anja Knott , Ursula Holtzmann , Ralf Siegner , Elke Gronniger , Andreas Schepky , Stefan Gallinat , Horst Wenck , Franz Stab and Marc Winnefeld
Nutrition & Metabolism 2009, 6:20doi:10.1186/1743-7075-6-20

Published: 1 May 2009 Abstract (provisional)

Background

The dramatic increase in obesity-related diseases emphasizes the need to elucidate the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying fat metabolism. To investigate how natural substances influence lipolysis and adipogenesis, we determined the effects of White Tea extract on cultured human subcutaneous preadipocytes and adipocytes.
Methods

For our in vitro studies we used a White Tea extract solution that contained polyphenols and methylxanthines. Utilizing cultured human preadipocytes we investigated White Tea extract solution-induced inhibition of triglyceride incorporation during adipogenesis and possible effects on cell viability. In vitro studies on human adipocytes were performed aiming to elucidate the efficacy of White Tea extract solution to stimulate lipolytic activity. To characterize White Tea extract solution-mediated effects on a molecular level, we analyzed gene expression of essential adipogenesis-related transcription factors by qRT-PCR and determined the expression of the transcription factor ADD1/SREBP-1c on the protein level utilizing immunofluorescence analysis.
Results

Our data show that incubation of preadipocytes with White Tea extract solution significantly decreased triglyceride incorporation during adipogenesis in a dose- dependent manner (n = 10) without affecting cell viability (n = 10). These effects were, at least in part, mediated by EGCG (n = 10, 50 muM). In addition, White Tea extract solution also stimulated lipolytic activity in adipocytes (n = 7). Differentiating preadipocytes cultivated in the presence of 0.5% White Tea extract solution showed a decrease in PPARgamma, ADD1/SREBP-1c, C/EBPalpha and C/EBPdelta mRNA levels. Moreover, the expression of the transcription factor ADD1/SREBP-1c was not only decreased on the mRNA but also on the protein level.
Conclusions

White Tea extract is a natural source that effectively inhibits adipogenesis and stimulates lipolysis-activity. Therefore, it can be utilized to modulate different levels of the adipocyte life cycle.

Nice (adds new tea to list)...I love me some tea

Is there any reason to drink green tea if you're drinking white? They both come from the same plant.

All tea, sans herbal varieties, comes from the same plant. They are vastly different because of the processing methods.

Thanks for the study Mike.

Slightly off topic but I had a gorgeous cup of green tea with strawberry and chocolate flavourings from a local tea shop locally. It was bliss, God bless green tea.

Is there any reason to drink green tea if you're drinking white? They both come from the same plant.

Because of the oxidation process, I think different teas have different properties. I would say that white tea is probably the best, because it's the oxidized out of the 4 different types. (I have no scientific evidence to support this, just a guess).

I drink green and black out of convenience.

I take black tea on mornings, white tea on afternoon / night and green tea / EGCGs when fasting.

White tea is a good Alpha-glucosidase inhibitor and it's low in caffeine. Great stuff.

As I read this thread, I'm sitting at my desk with a fresh cup of white tea! Perfect!

I did find it interesting that they used an extract

For our in vitro studies we used a White Tea extract solution that contained polyphenols and methylxanthines

I've heard that extracts are absorbed a lot better than by drinking straight tea. Anyone know of any truth to this?

Hot water is a viable extraction method.

I couldn't find the study the article I read mentioned. Damn internets. All i could find was this:
Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of tea flavanols after consumption of green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement.

Henning SM, Niu Y, Lee NH, Thames GD, Minutti RR, Wang H, Go VL, Heber D.
Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine and the Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095, USA. [email protected]
BACKGROUND: Green and black tea polyphenols have been extensively studied as cancer chemopreventive agents. Many in vitro experiments have supported their strong antioxidant activity. Additional in vivo studies are needed to examine the pharmacokinetic relation of absorption and antioxidant activity of tea polyphenols administered in the form of green or black tea or tea extract supplements. OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to compare the pharmacokinetic disposition of tea polyphenols and their effect on the antioxidant capacity in plasma 8 h after a bolus consumption of either green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement. DESIGN: Thirty healthy subjects were randomly assigned to 3 different sequences of green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement in a 3 x 3 crossover design with a 1-wk washout period in between treatments. RESULTS: Flavanol absorption was enhanced when tea polyphenols were administered as a green tea supplement in capsule form and led to a small but significant increase in plasma antioxidant activity compared with when tea polyphenols were consumed as black tea or green tea. All 3 interventions provided similar amounts of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate. CONCLUSIONS: Our observations suggest that green tea extract supplements retain the beneficial effects of green and black tea and may be used in future chemoprevention studies to provide a large dose of tea polyphenols without the side effects of caffeine associated with green and black tea beverages.
PMID: 15585768 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Back