white rice is it good for u

tankfan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
i eat that every day at work 3 days a week im asking cause a coworker told me white rice was not very healthy for you. and i thought it was okay for health type food

I wouldnt say its "not very healthy". Brown rice is generally better though - slightly fewer calories, more fiber, less carbs. There are more vitamins and minerals in brown rice compared to white rice (naturally, enriched white rice may have more actually).

Its not that bad, many worse things you can eat. The reason why people say white rice is bad is that it can be considered a "processed," or "refined" food.

The processing is that the natural bran component of the rice grain has been removed. This eliminates the natural fiber, various Vitamin Bs, and other nutrients that are good for you. The white rice folks will then spray vitamins and minerals back on the rice to try to put back the nutrition they removed in the first place.

They still miss some things, and the most glaring omission is the fiber.

Why take off the bran and attempt to make up for it with artificial vitamin addatives? Because the fiber contained in the bran coating on natural brown rice makes the texture slightly more chewey, and it also makes it take twice as long to cook, both considered negatives by the vast majority of rice consumers.

When you eat white rice, since the fiber for the most part removed, your system digests the grain very rapidly, breaking the rice starches down into glucose (sugar) much more rapidly than if you ate brown rice (the bran coating of fibers slows digestion down significantly).

Essentially, what you get with white rice is an influx of sugar in your bloodstream that is not mitigated by the natural slowing action of the bran fiber. This is why some consider white rice not terribly healthy.

I can't help but consider the Japanese people every time someone whines about how unhealthy white rice is...

I can't help but consider the Japanese people every time someone whines about how unhealthy white rice is...

I've never understood this.

How the hell can asian cultures not be afflicted with skyrocketing weight and diabetes rates when 80% of their staple diet is white rice and bleached noodles?

yea, most asians i know eat tons of white rice. lol goes well with General Tsao chicken. (I always get an extra order of rice on the side) haha

I eat white rice every single day as does the vast majority of Asia and Hawaii. Usually, only people into weight loss tend to call rice unhealthy because in terms of nutrition it has a lot less than other foods while containing a lot more calories. If you're a person who doesn't give a shit about lowering your calorie intake, there's not much reason not to eat white rice but there certainly are more nutritious alternatives. And even if I was fat as hell and didn't have my fast as shit metabolism, I would still eat white rice aww day err day son.

Essentially, what you get with white rice is an influx of sugar in your bloodstream that is not mitigated by the natural slowing action of the bran fiber. This is why some consider white rice not terribly healthy.

Which is a silly thing to think because there really isn't that much fiber in the brown rice anyway and other macros like fat and protein slow down digestion. Who eats rice by itself anyway?

I eat white rice every single day as does the vast majority of Asia and Hawaii. Usually, only people into weight loss tend to call rice unhealthy because in terms of nutrition it has a lot less than other foods while containing a lot more calories. If you're a person who doesn't give a shit about lowering your calorie intake, there's not much reason not to eat white rice but there certainly are more nutritious alternatives. And even if I was fat as hell and didn't have my fast as shit metabolism, I would still eat white rice aww day err day son.

Same here. They started making brown rice sushi rolls for the health-conscious. Tastes horrible. The flavor/texture sacrifice switching to brown rice from white just ain't worth it for the paltry fiber boost.

No they don't.

If you ever lived out in asia for any period of time you'll know that they absolutely do eat less. Portion size is probably the most significant reason why asian people are generally skinny. There's also a much worse social stigma against being fat over there ( a lot worse than in Western countries).

No they don't.

In Thailand, Laos and Malaysia (IIRC), when they give a serving of rice, they scoop it from the cooker with a small metal cup, about the same capacity as a tea-cup. One serving is about that size- a really small size compared to what westerners usually eat. In normal Thai restaurants, a dish with shrimp might have 4-5 small shrimps, and a dish with chicken might have 7-8 small strips of chicken.

This picture is quite typical of a portion of food in Thailand, in a restaurant aimed at Thai people, rather than tourists:

food-in-chiangmai.jpg

My experience of Japan and Korea is that portions there are a bit larger, but still small compared to Western-sized portions.

Rice is fine if you ask me, white or brown. People do not get fat eating rice, people get fat because they eat way too much junk and are lazy asses.

Yes, they do. And it's easy to confirm: surveys of typical caloric intake in different nations are available for you to go read.

Guess you've never eaten in resturants in chinatown.

If you ever lived out in asia for any period of time you'll know that they absolutely do eat less. Portion size is probably the most significant reason why asian people are generally skinny. There's also a much worse social stigma against being fat over there ( a lot worse than in Western countries).

Well I've been to Hong Kong and I can tell you that when you walk into any eating establisment there the portions are huge and the clientel are putting away volumes of bleached rice and noodle dishes, along with plenty of beef and fish.

Well I've been to Hong Kong and I can tell you that when you walk into any eating establisment there the portions are huge and the clientel are putting away volumes of bleached rice and noodle dishes, along with plenty of beef and fish.

But that is at a restaurant, not home. There is a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back