White Belt Tourney Strategy Help

kennythekoala

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking to compete in February in a large state tournament and was wondering if anyone could me with my game plan. I know many people don't believe in them, but if I have a clear path to victory and can work towards it I can focus my training and clear up some jitters. I'm in the 154.5lb division if that matters!

So right now i'm thinking...

1) Get take down either by double leg or throw/ let them pull guard

2) Pass guard by Knee in butt pass or let them throw up a triangle/ arm bar and crush pass them.

3) Baseball slide to high slide control

4) Transition to side mount

5) transition to side control with hips facing opponents feet,

6) trap opponents arm

7) transition back to side mount and pin opponents wrist to mat

8) Leg over opponents head and Kimura

Obviously this will not be easy, I'm just wondering if anyone who has competing experience can comment on where I will be given a lot of trouble in this gameplan and what to be ready for! Also if you have suggestions I'd love to hear.

Everything works great against a non-resisting opponent...It is important to have a strategy and to know where your A Game is, but you need to expect and prepare for variances.

The things I'd recommend are: 1.) Be aggressive. You'd be surprised how timid a lot of white belts can be, and how many of them don't flip the switch between learning/rolling in the gym and having a competition match. 2.) Work your escapes. All the game planning in the world won't help you if you find yourself in a position that you don't know how to get out of. 3.) Work your cardio with wind sprints. 5 minute matches can be grueling, especially if you find yourself in a disadvantageous position. Don't be the guy that dies tired. A good gas tank will do so much for you at this level, and if you can survive until the other guy breaks, you will find many, many more opportunities to finish. 4.) Have fun. This is a white belt tournament, not the worlds. The only person who cares, and will remember, if you win or lose is you. Winning feels great, losing provides the opportunity to identify your own weaknesses/areas for improvement.

Regardless of your results, be humble, continue to work hard, and become the best you. It is easier to stay ready than to get ready.

Good luck at the tournament. Stay hydrated and bring snacks. Oss.

I think you're over thinking things, what always works best for me in competition is what comes naturally.

If you have a step by step plan of what you want to do then you'll just panic when it inevitably doesn't work.

Just take it slow when you're competing, one step at a time. It takes more than one competition before you stop spazzing out and actually work your own game anyway.

I'm sure a lot of people will say its pointless having a gameplan. I'd agree to the extent that there is no way 8 points is going to cover the range of things that can happen in that five minutes, and that you will probably be so full of adrenaline that the whole thing will be a blur.

I would say from looking at what you've written, that there is an assumption that you're going to end up on top and no plan for if (likely when) this doesn't happen. if you've set out a best case scenario like this and its scuppered when he stuffs your take down and ends up on top/on your back/in your guard then its going to leave you feeling lost.

Run through a plan B where things dont go your way, and have fun.

Warm up really really well. You need to feel like it would be the last roll of the day.

Do the same things that you do in the class. That should be your gameplan.

Decide if you are going to pull guard or go for a takedown. For whitebelts usually just not pulling guard and yanking the collar heavily is enough to convince the opponent to pull.

If you are going for a takedown, avoid settling into closed guard.

If you want to win, you need to score first. WB mathces are always won by the person that scores first points.

Solid advice so far. My only comment is if your regular training is very different from a competition, work out any gaps in your game and try to fill them the best as you can. Most of the time this is usually takedowns, if when you roll you start from knees.

Strategy... don't lose.

Because once you step out there, to be fair, you're probably not skilled enough to execute a detailed gameplan at whitebelt.

Id agree with what everyone else says. Im hardly full of loads of experience on competing but I don't think its wise to worry about a gameplan. You will know from rolling in class what youre strong points are, but you will also know that you don't always get to work them in a live roll. Just go out and enjoy the match. Its not the end of the world if you don't win it.

If you get takedown points early and end up in his guard, don't be in a hurry to "force" a pass. This sometimes leads to be off balance and swept. If you're on top and up on points, your opponent has to open up to sub/sweep. This often times leads to a pass.

Be aware of the points and time. Know when your opponent is going to have to go for broke.

If swept, DO NOT EXCEPT IT!!!!!! to many people once they are being swept except it and start trying for half guard, fuck that! Scramble like hell!

If swept, DO NOT EXCEPT IT!!!!!! to many people once they are being swept except it and start trying for half guard, fuck that! Scramble like hell!

...but, but... "Keep It Playful"....my #HelioFilter......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1) Breathe. Control your breathing.

2) Don't let the chaos of combat and the fear of the unknown consume you. Your opponent is just as nervous looking at you as you are at them..unless you are a little guy in the absolute division facing a super heavy..then..he may be a little less nervous than you..

3) Know where you are comfortable, and get there..if you know sweeps from half guard, and you are in trouble, instead of thinking "oh sh** he passed my guard" or "oh sh** he mounted me" think "get back to half guard" then "get the underhook" etc..I guess the lesson here is to be very concrete, specific, and actionable in your thinking.

4) Match awareness..listen to your coaches..

The biggest thing, is to go out there and have fun.
If you can maintain that mentality, you will preform better.

If you are planning to start your match with a takedown or a throw, then you either need to have an awesome judo game, or you better not let your opponent get his grips. If your opponents gets his grips, then it can quickly turn into a snooze-fest stalemate, especially if neither of you want to pull guard.

Also, it sounds like your game plan involves ending up in your opponent's closed guard? If so, that is a horrible idea, especially if your guard break strategy involves letting your opponent go for a triangle or arm bar. Those are last ditch types of guard escapes. You shouldn't be doing any type of takedowns that make it easy for your opponent to close the guard.

Your gameplan at white belt or novice nogi shouldnt involve a lot of specific technical goals like you listed.

Just the live competition and adrenaline dump will be challenging. Always is.

Focus on a few broad goals:

- For 15-20 seconds standing at first..MOVE and breathe. Dont even think takedown. If he rushed you...ok...defend. But let the moment settle in..breathe..regain focus...then engage.

- Keep it basic. Unless you fall into an obvious submission focus on position and BREATHE!

- HUGE advice- dont overreach on submission attempts. Dont get overly excited and try a sloppy submission. Be tight and deliberate.

I know its hard not to be overly aggressive. But honestly unless you never plan to compete again..your first couple tournaments will be more about figuring out how your body and mind react to competition and dealing with adrenaline and stuff. Kinda separating your training self and competition self.

But have fun! Theres really no losing. You'll win or learn haha.

Back