Which part of the leg do you like to target the most?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by roventu, Jul 28, 2016.

1. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Just wondering what people prefer to target, and why?

1. Top part of thigh above knee (outside kick)
    2. Bottom part of thigh (inside kick)
    3. The knee pit, ie. the part on the other side of leg opposite the knee.
    4. The calves

I usually target the inside thigh for damage (more vulnerable to southpaw rear roundhouse), and the knee pit to make them buckle/off-balance.

2. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

You can also kick the thigh just below the hips

3. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

I don't usually leg kick too much, but when I do...it's to the inside part of the lead leg. Harder to check.

roventu likes this.
  4. cshireman4

cshireman4 Purple Belt

I like the outside thigh just above the knee for the most part. I feel like if you go for it, you have to do it consistently though. More of an accumulating effect, but definitely pays off with persistence and accuracy. I'll kick the calves to break rhythm of an opponent when they are trying to string combos together.

AndyTran likes this.
  5. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

I try to avoid the knee because if they are good blocker that could go seriously wrong. Teep to knees are much less risky imo
    everywhere else is good to go, i am really happy leg kicking <cheer>

6. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

thats exactly my opinion on leg kicks too. if you do them, you have to do them regularly on the same spot. its like exponential damage, first kick is ok, second kick is okay, third kick is stinging, then out of no where 4th is painful, then 5th is really painful etc. 6th you start walking funny lol

ive never really targetted the calf, unless its for a sweep. ive never faced anyone that kicked my calves either. im not sure why its not more popular

7. Pennywise83

Pennywise83 White Belt

I've seen people do this in pro fights but I always thought it was cheap and very dangerous because I figured you could blow out or break their knee. In all fairness, I don't know anything about it. It just looks dangerous to me. I haven't seen any of our gym members do it before. Is it an acceptable kick? Do people not care at all or is it frowned upon?

8. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

Teeps to the knee are not that bad throwing lightly without bad intention and you stand 50-50 or 30-70 rear leg heavy ready to check leg kick,not putting all weight on the front foot. We use it like a foot jab and only between more experieced members. We spar with knees as well

Teep to rear leg's knee when the other person is kicking is a big NO though

9. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

not acceptable in my gym ot purposely target the knee. already a lot of guys in my gym with bad knees, maybe thats why xD

10. MrJak

MrJak .

I like to target the femoral artery with a double dragon sitting crane technique 4 x in quick succession. Muay Thai is for pusses

Pennywise83 and bobthebuilder like this.
  11. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

totally bro
    just wondering what double dragon sitting crane technique is? I would love to learn <cheer>

12. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    I either go for just above the knee with a straight kick, usually a muay thai push kick to the knee like they often do, or the side kick, OR I go for the lower thigh with round kicks that I tend to chop down on.

13. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

just wondering, does it have a much different effect than kicking the thigh just above the knee?

I teep right at the hip bone, but not round kicks in that area

14. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

Not sure what different effect it would have on the othe guy but Thepnimit taught me kick either above knee or under the hip for the KO. Above the knee seems to hurt more but depending on the situation sometimes I find it more convenient to kick below the hip. I feel like it gives me more reach and is quicker. Its more like a roundhouse kick (upwards), whereas when you kick above the knee its more horizontal and you take a small step first to get power and reach.

15. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

Kicking above the knees definitely hurtd the most since it is the tendon. Tendons take more time to heal than muscle (thigh) I think. Leg kick the rear leg also deals more damage since it is usually not as conditioned as the front leg.

16. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Outside and inside thighs.

I have a pretty decent lead keg kick, I don't need to do a switch, so I use those alot. It throws them off balance as well, so thats a plus.

17. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Inside of the leg in any spot hurts a hundred times worse than the outside, at least for me. Outside is just naturally a lot sturdier for whatever reason. More big muscles and less nerves I guess. Same with the arms, outside is unhurtable and inside is like glass.

18. UWanaPlayDaGame

UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

I like the standard outside round kick to the thigh the most. it's the most reliable strike IMO. most punches are blocked, most higher kicks too; but the leg kick connects clean all the time if you set it up right.

19. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

And getting hit more on the outside compared to the inside, so your quads are more "conditioned" compared to the adductors

20. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

well in southpaw vs orthodox, the lead kick to the outside thigh is often open, you can land that really easily. but its more of a slap really. and if you step into it for power, the angle for the kick is much worse.

im thinking i should try the lead kick to the calf/achilles instead of the outside thigh.