Which part of the leg do you like to target the most?

roventu

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just wondering what people prefer to target, and why?

1. Top part of thigh above knee (outside kick)
2. Bottom part of thigh (inside kick)
3. The knee pit, ie. the part on the other side of leg opposite the knee.
4. The calves

I usually target the inside thigh for damage (more vulnerable to southpaw rear roundhouse), and the knee pit to make them buckle/off-balance.

You can also kick the thigh just below the hips

I don't usually leg kick too much, but when I do...it's to the inside part of the lead leg. Harder to check.

I like the outside thigh just above the knee for the most part. I feel like if you go for it, you have to do it consistently though. More of an accumulating effect, but definitely pays off with persistence and accuracy. I'll kick the calves to break rhythm of an opponent when they are trying to string combos together.

I try to avoid the knee because if they are good blocker that could go seriously wrong. Teep to knees are much less risky imo
everywhere else is good to go, i am really happy leg kicking <cheer>

I like the outside thigh just above the knee for the most part. I feel like if you go for it, you have to do it consistently though. More of an accumulating effect, but definitely pays off with persistence and accuracy. I'll kick the calves to break rhythm of an opponent when they are trying to string combos together.

thats exactly my opinion on leg kicks too. if you do them, you have to do them regularly on the same spot. its like exponential damage, first kick is ok, second kick is okay, third kick is stinging, then out of no where 4th is painful, then 5th is really painful etc. 6th you start walking funny lol

ive never really targetted the calf, unless its for a sweep. ive never faced anyone that kicked my calves either. im not sure why its not more popular

I try to avoid the knee because if they are good blocker that could go seriously wrong. Teep to knees are much less risky imo
everywhere else is good to go, i am really happy leg kicking <cheer>

I've seen people do this in pro fights but I always thought it was cheap and very dangerous because I figured you could blow out or break their knee. In all fairness, I don't know anything about it. It just looks dangerous to me. I haven't seen any of our gym members do it before. Is it an acceptable kick? Do people not care at all or is it frowned upon?

I've seen people do this in pro fights but I always thought it was cheap and very dangerous because I figured you could blow out or break their knee. In all fairness, I don't know anything about it. It just looks dangerous to me. I haven't seen any of our gym members do it before. Is it an acceptable kick? Do people not care at all or is it frowned upon?

Teeps to the knee are not that bad throwing lightly without bad intention and you stand 50-50 or 30-70 rear leg heavy ready to check leg kick,not putting all weight on the front foot. We use it like a foot jab and only between more experieced members. We spar with knees as well

Teep to rear leg's knee when the other person is kicking is a big NO though

not acceptable in my gym ot purposely target the knee. already a lot of guys in my gym with bad knees, maybe thats why xD

I like to target the femoral artery with a double dragon sitting crane technique 4 x in quick succession. Muay Thai is for pusses

I like to target the femoral artery with a double dragon sitting crane technique 4 x in quick succession. Muay Thai is for pusses

totally bro
just wondering what double dragon sitting crane technique is? I would love to learn <cheer>

I either go for just above the knee with a straight kick, usually a muay thai push kick to the knee like they often do, or the side kick, OR I go for the lower thigh with round kicks that I tend to chop down on.

You can also kick the thigh just below the hips

just wondering, does it have a much different effect than kicking the thigh just above the knee?

I teep right at the hip bone, but not round kicks in that area

just wondering, does it have a much different effect than kicking the thigh just above the knee?

I teep right at the hip bone, but not round kicks in that area
Not sure what different effect it would have on the othe guy but Thepnimit taught me kick either above knee or under the hip for the KO. Above the knee seems to hurt more but depending on the situation sometimes I find it more convenient to kick below the hip. I feel like it gives me more reach and is quicker. Its more like a roundhouse kick (upwards), whereas when you kick above the knee its more horizontal and you take a small step first to get power and reach.

Kicking above the knees definitely hurtd the most since it is the tendon. Tendons take more time to heal than muscle (thigh) I think. Leg kick the rear leg also deals more damage since it is usually not as conditioned as the front leg.

Outside and inside thighs.

I have a pretty decent lead keg kick, I don't need to do a switch, so I use those alot. It throws them off balance as well, so thats a plus.

Inside of the leg in any spot hurts a hundred times worse than the outside, at least for me. Outside is just naturally a lot sturdier for whatever reason. More big muscles and less nerves I guess. Same with the arms, outside is unhurtable and inside is like glass.

I like the standard outside round kick to the thigh the most. it's the most reliable strike IMO. most punches are blocked, most higher kicks too; but the leg kick connects clean all the time if you set it up right.

Inside of the leg in any spot hurts a hundred times worse than the outside, at least for me. Outside is just naturally a lot sturdier for whatever reason. More big muscles and less nerves I guess. Same with the arms, outside is unhurtable and inside is like glass.
And getting hit more on the outside compared to the inside, so your quads are more "conditioned" compared to the adductors

well in southpaw vs orthodox, the lead kick to the outside thigh is often open, you can land that really easily. but its more of a slap really. and if you step into it for power, the angle for the kick is much worse.

im thinking i should try the lead kick to the calf/achilles instead of the outside thigh.

Back