Media Which Lightweight *Champ* Had The Best Win To Get The Title? (RDA - NOW)

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 545701

Going to start with RDA since he's still in the mix at 155 lbs & brought it up last night.

RDA beat Anthony Pettis via UD

Scorecard: 50-45, 50-45, 50-45
tumblr_nv7mgxxpM61ueu615o3_250.gif

Pettis streak / title reign / championship history:

WEC Lightweight champion
UFC Lightweight champion
Pettis beat 1 current/former UFC Champion at that time
1 title defense in the UFC
5 fight win streak

Notable wins going into RDA fight: Donald Cerrone, Benson Henderson, Gilbert Melendez, and Joe Lauzon.

Eddie Alvarez beat Rafael Dos Anjos via TKO

Scorecard: N/a (first round tko)

giphy-downsized-large-8.gif

tumblr_o9ztahDi5l1qa33wlo3_500.gif

RDA streak / title reign / championship history:

UFC lightweight champion
Beat 2 former / current UFC champions at that time
1 title defense in the UFC
5 fight win streak

Notable wins: Benson Henderson, Donald Cerrone, Nate Diaz, and Anthony Pettis.

Conor McGregor beats Eddie Alvarez via TKO

Scorecard: n/a (TKO)

PeriodicEuphoricGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

Alvarez streak / title reign / championship history

2x Bellator Lightweight champion
UFC lightweight champion
0 title defenses in the UFC
Alvarez beat 2 former / current UFC champions
3 fight win streak

Notable wins: Gilbert Melendez, Anthony Pettis, Rafael Dos Anjos, and Michael Chandler (outside of UFC).

Tony Ferguson beats Kevin Lee via submission

scorecard: n/a (submission)
giphy.gif

Lee streak / title reign / championship history

#7 ranked LW
5 fight win streak

Notable wins: Francisco Trinaldo, Michael Chiesa.

Khabib Nurmagomedov beats Al Iaquinta via decision

Scorecard: 50-44, 50-43, 50-43

Takedown-vs-Iaquinta.gif

Iaquinta streak / title reign / championship history

5 fight win streak
1 Day notice
#11 ranked LW

Notable wins: Jorge Masvidal, Kevin Lee, Joe Lauzon, and Diego Sanchez

Dustin Poirier beats Max Holloway via decision

Scorecard: 49-46, 49-46, 49-46
giphy.gif

Holloway streak / title reign / championship history

13 fight win streak
UFC Featherweight champion
Beat 2 former / current UFC champions
2 title defenses as 145 lb champion at the time

Notable wins: Charles Oliveira, Jose Aldo 2x, Brian Ortega, Cub Swanson, Jeremy Stephens, and Anthony Pettis.

Justin Gaethje beats Tony Ferguson via TKO

Scorecard: n/a (TKO)

CompleteBlaringHaddock-size_restricted.gif

Ferguson streak / title reign / championship history

UFC Interim LW champion
12 fight win streak
Beat 2 current / former champions

Notable wins: Kevin Lee, Anthony Pettis, Edson Barboza, Donald Cerrone, and Rafael Dos Anjos.

I would say for what Holloway was going into their fight, Poirier's win over him was probably the most impressive. Max is not a legitimate lightweight though, so I would probably say Alvarez beating RDA was the best win. Gaethje beating Ferguson was also impressive due to Ferguson's streak & the way he did it.

Also I probably fucked a few things up so just point something out if it's not correct

Conors was the most flawless, but RDA was the most impressive. That version of Pettis looked unstoppable at that time. RDA was +400 that night

Also Edgars win to beat BJ was the biggest one at LW considering BJ Penn was considered LW GOAT at that time.

Yeah if we're talking about pre RDA lightweight champions then Edgar beating Penn is probably at the top. I only did RDA & beyond because Dos Anjos brought it up last night at the pressers regarding there only being 2 real champions & the rest are interim.

Yeah if we're talking about pre RDA lightweight champions then Edgar beating Penn is probably at the top. I only did RDA & beyond because Dos Anjos brought it up last night at the pressers regarding there only being 2 real champions & the rest are interim.

Edgar Penn 1 was a robbery win for Frankie. Yes he did win the 2nd and 3rd.

But no way Frankie won that first fight. Wasn't even close enough to warrant a rematch. We should have seen BJ vs Maynard next.

This thread just summed up what was so wrong with the division.

Also Edgars win to beat BJ was the biggest one at LW considering BJ Penn was considered LW GOAT at that time.
Yea no kidding. The odds for Edgar went up to like +700 at one point on some betting sites.

Eddie Alvarez beat Rafael Dos Anjos via TKO
I think about how much of the weight cut affected RDA (he was fainting the night before).

Conor McGregor beats Eddie Alvarez via TKO
Alvarez defeating a compromised RDA while having a lackluster run doesn't make it stand out to me.

Tony Ferguson beats Kevin Lee via submission
Not impressed.

Khabib Nurmagomedov beats Al Iaquinta via decision
Not impressed, also short notice diminishes it.

Dustin Poirier beats Max Holloway via decision
Featherweight.

Justin Gaethje beats Tony Ferguson via TKO
I think about how much of the multiple weight cuts affected Ferguson.

RDA beat Anthony Pettis via UD
I only pick this one due to process of elimination on the above.

Why are we counting all interim titles wins (Tony/Dustin/Justin) but not counting Khabib's wins unifying the belts against the interim holders like Dustin and Justin?

Why are we counting all interim titles wins (Tony/Dustin/Justin) but not counting Khabib's wins unifying the belts against the interim holders like Dustin and Justin?

1. counting interim because of the topic of the thread, which is what RDA brought up last night. He said there are only 2 real champions, and the rest were interim. So i wanted to see which wins were actually the most impressive.

2. Khabib was already champion when Dustin and Justin won, so we're comparing the actual wins to get the title.

Khabib is the best lightweight within this thread, not really a debate.

For me its RDA vs Pettis in terms of the performance itself but Gaethje vs Ferguson is either tied or a close second.

For me its RDA vs Pettis in terms of the performance itself but Gaethje vs Ferguson is either tied or a close second.

The blueprint to beat Pettis had already been established. RDA just followed the playbook.

1.gif

1. counting interim because of the topic of the thread, which is what RDA brought up last night. He said there are only 2 real champions, and the rest were interim. So i wanted to see which wins were actually the most impressive.

2. Khabib was already champion when Dustin and Justin won, so we're comparing the actual wins to get the title.

Khabib is the best lightweight within this thread, not really a debate.
Ok not shit stirring, I just wasn't getting the rules of the thread at first

Speaking of Khabib, this list reminds me of this:

Lol I remember this back in the day. Everyone was riding the Pettis train HARD and were dismissing RDA. Khabib knew his elite skill level though after being in there with him / knew what was going to happen to Anthony

For me it’s poirer vs Holloway. I’m biased because I’m a big Poirer fan. But I mean cmon, it’s max fucking Holloway and it was a fantastic fight.

Back