Which is more effective style muay thai or boxing

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is more effective muay thai or boxing for mma? I've seen people like jose aldo, anderson silva, donald cerrone, alistair overeem...etc use muay thai and people like junior dos santos, conor mcgregor, vitor belfort...etc use boxing. I personally prefer muay thai then boxing, but what does everyone think is more effective in the cage?

Muay thai has elbows, knees, punches, and kicks. Muay thai has been around since, 1400's, and it's use of the elbows and knees makes it really deadly. Their are muay thai fighters like anderson silva who have transitioned to mma, and people like donald cerrone and alistair overeem. And they have been very sucessful in mma.

Boxers in mma have also been sucessful. Ther use of punches and knockout power makes them dangerous. Their slipping and footwork. People like nick diaz and nate diaz, junior dos santos, i think conor mcgregor also is a boxer and alexander gustafsson.

So which do you guys think is more effective? And tell me if you guys train in either of those fighting styles?

What is more effective muay thai or boxing for mma? I've seen people like jose aldo, anderson silva, donald cerrone, alistair overeem...etc use muay thai and people like junior dos santos, conor mcgregor, vitor belfort...etc use boxing. I personally prefer muay thai then boxing, but what does everyone think is more effective in the cage?

Muay thai has elbows, knees, punches, and kicks. Muay thai has been around since, 1400's, and it's use of the elbows and knees makes it really deadly. Their are muay thai fighters like anderson silva who have transitioned to mma, and people like donald cerrone and alistair overeem. And they have been very sucessful in mma.

Boxers in mma have also been sucessful. Ther use of punches and knockout power makes them dangerous. Their slipping and footwork. People like nick diaz and nate diaz, junior dos santos, i think conor mcgregor also is a boxer and alexander gustafsson.

So which do you guys think is more effective? And tell me if you guys train in either of those fighting styles?

This is the stupidest question ever. Boxing uses 2 fists, Muy Thai uses 8 contact points....what do you think is more dangerous ?

Also McGregot kicks a lot and is not a classical boxer.

This is the stupidest question ever. Boxing uses 2 fists, Muy Thai uses 8 contact points....what do you think is more dangerous ?

Also McGregot kicks a lot and is not a classical boxer.

I didn't ask which is more dangerous i asked which is more effective. Because i've seen people go into mma with just boxing before.

Boxing is more effective, except for fighting in an elevator I guess.
That's why there are western fighters with mainly boxing background and very basic training in kicks/knees/elbows who transitioned to Muay Thai and soon climbed to the elite and beat Thai fighters that had been working on traditional Thai tecniques their whole life.
And that's also why Thai gyms have evolved so much in boxing in recent years. They realized they need to focus on boxing tecnique, or they would be surpassed by western fighters with better boxing base, even at their own game.
*Thai fighters used to be particularly tough, maybe in part due to their training methods, but I guess you are asking exclusively for tecnique

Of course you need to be aware of how to block a kick, or how to defend yourself in the Thai clinch, but the better boxer will probably be the one who set the pace in the fight.

Oviously if you know to use the hands as good as the better boxer and your legs as good as the better Thai then that's the more effective mix but I don't think that's really the answer you are looking for

Last edited:

You can check the fight between Ramon Dekker (Muay Thai legend) and François Penachio (Savate champion) in which Penachio outclasses Dekker with lateral movement, punch-kick combos, and counterkicks that dropped Dekker several times.
Another example is Farid Khider (savate champ) beating Yuya Yamamoto (kickboxing champion) in K1 using savate tecniques in what is a thing of beauty.

It could be arguments for savate as a more effective style than muay thai, but I think is just a fight between two men that does not reveal the more effective style. Much less if we are talking about a 10 years past his prime Ray Mercer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dekker+savate

Boxing is more effective, except for fighting in an elevator I guess.
That's why there are western fighters with mainly boxing background and very basic training in kicks/knees/elbows who transitioned to Muay Thai and soon climbed to the elite and beat Thai fighters that had been working on traditional Thai tecniques their whole life.
And that's also why Thai gyms have evolved so much in boxing in recent years. They realized they need to focus on boxing tecnique, or they would be surpassed by western fighters with better boxing base, even at their own game.
*Thai fighters used to be particularly tough, maybe in part due to their training methods, but I guess you are asking exclusively for tecnique

Of course you need to be aware of how to block a kick, or how to defend yourself in the Thai clinch, but the better boxer will probably be the one who set the pace in the fight.

Oviously if you know to use the hands as good as the better boxer and your legs as good as the better Thai then that's the more effective mix but I don't think that's really the answer you are looking for
That is bullshit. Can you name one boxer that went to thailand and beat elite fighters? On the other hand there are alot of thai fighters who high level boxers aswell, even if they might not use their hands that much in muay thai fights.

That is bullshit. Can you name one boxer that went to thailand and beat elite fighters? On the other hand there are alot of thai fighters who high level boxers aswell, even if they might not use their hands that much in muay thai fights.

I sayd westerns with boxing background who then learned kickboxing, in opposite to Thais trained under the traditional MT training. Albert Kraus is an example of it. He beat the nº1 Thai in Buakaw, and he did so by imposing his boxing.

And we are talking about Kraus, not an elite boxer, because if you are expecting a recognizable boxer name, you obviously won't get it, since he would make much more money in boxing than competing in kickboxing, even in K1, let alone fighting Thai crushers in the Thai circuit.

As I sayd, Thai fighters have evolved a lot in boxing in the last decade and now are actually pretty good in some divisions. How many Thai fighers were good at boxing in the 90's? Thai gyms didnt focus enough on it before. It has changed, and it has changed because they realized that boxing is the most effective weapon if you excell at it.

there was only 1 really good Thai to Western boxing champ.

Boxing pays more

I sayd westerns with boxing background who then learned kickboxing, in opposite to Thais trained under the traditional MT training. Albert Kraus is an example of it. He beat the nº1 Thai in Buakaw, and he did so by imposing his boxing.

And we are talking about Kraus, not an elite boxer, because if you are expecting a recognizable boxer name, you obviously won't get it, since he would make much more money in boxing than competing in kickboxing, even in K1, let alone fighting Thai crushers in the Thai circuit.

As I sayd, Thai fighters have evolved a lot in boxing in the last decade and now are actually pretty good in some divisions. How many Thai fighers were good at boxing in the 90's? Thai gyms didnt focus enough on it before. It has changed, and it has changed because they realized that boxing is the most effective weapon if you excell at it.
He beat buakaw on paper, although most people would say buakaw clearly won. IN KICKBOXING. Not in muay thai. Under muay thai rules he would eat too many elbows and knees.

I'm just gonna quote Cokakillbanana on this one:
here are 3 former Lumpinee Muay Thai champions (Amnat Ruenroeng, Wanheng Menayothin, Knockout CP Freshmart) who hold world titles in boxing RIGHT NOW, and a couple more elite fighters (Jomthong chuwattana, Panomrunglek Kiatmuu9) who have fought for world titles in the last year or so. Many more over the years.

Somrak Khamsing was an elite Muay Thai fighter and won an Olympic gold in boxing in 1996. Wijan Ponljd was a Muay Thai champion and won gold in the Olympics in boxing. Isarra Sakkreerin Muay Thai champion who won an Olympic medal. More Muay Thai fighters who have been in the Olympics and world championships. Right now Superbank Sakchaichote will be qualifying for the Olympics next month.

You're making the classic mistake of not understanding that what works in boxing is not applicable to Muay Thai. Head movement and slick boxing movement is irrelevant for Muay Thai.
And then we have Samart who was WBC junior featherweight champion in 1982

He beat buakaw on paper, although most people would say buakaw clearly won. IN KICKBOXING. Not in muay thai. Under muay thai rules he would eat too many elbows and knees.

I'm just gonna quote Cokakillbanana on this one:

And then we have Samart who was WBC junior featherweight champion in 1982

Interesting stuff by Cokakillbanana.
Cokakillbanana dont agree about Thai gyms evolving in boxing training in the last 10-15 years? Do you?

Yes Kraus-Buakaw was close and under restricted Muay Thai rules, since kickboxing don't allow knees.
Anyways, we are talking about a meh boxer by elite boxing standars in Kraus who, using basically his hands, is taking a n1º Thai fighter to close decisions, and beating Lumpinee champions by 1st round punch KOs, which he has done. Kraus has Muay Thai titles by the way, pretty sure it wasnt for his knee/elbows game.

Im not trying to downplay Muay Thai or Thai fighters at all. Im just trying to give an answer to the question in the OP. And I think, excellence in boxing is the most effective fighting style. I have seen plenty of times traditional Thai fighters having problems dealing with a good composed boxer with a good uppercut who is walking them down.

Maybe you think on Mayweather or Cuban boxers when talking about boxing, Im thinking about Gennady Golovkin, or many other "Soviet" style boxers walking down a fighter trained under the traditional Muay Thai style, under whatever rules you want....You (Cokakillbanana) say Golovkin skills woulb be "irrelevant"...lol, Golovkin is placing his hands in the right place sooner than later.I would bet on it.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff by Cokakillbanana.
Cokakillbanana dont agree about Thai gyms evolving in boxing training in the last 10-15 years? Do you?

Yes Kraus-Buakaw was close and under restricted Muay Thai rules, since kickboxing don't allow knees.
Anyways, we are talking about a meh boxer by elite boxing standars in Kraus who, using basically his hands, is taking a n1º Thai fighter to close decisions, and beating Lumpinee champions by 1st round punch KOs, which he has done. Kraus has Muay Thai titles by the way, pretty sure it wasnt for his knee/elbows game.

Im not trying to downplay Muay Thai or Thai fighters at all. Im just trying to give an answer to the question in the OP. And I think, excellence in boxing is the most effective fighting style. I have seen plenty of times traditional Thai fighters having problems dealing with a good composed boxer with a good uppercut who is walking them down.

Maybe you think on Mayweather or Cuban boxers when talking about boxing, Im thinking about Gennady Golovkin, or many other "Soviet" style boxers walking down a fighter trained under the traditional Muay Thai style, under whatever rules you want....You (Cokakillbanana) say Golovkin skills woulb be "irrelevant"...lol, Golovkin is placing his hands in the right place sooner than later.I would bet on it.
Buakaw was never an elite muay thai fighter. What are you trying to prove anyways? Kraus KOing kaolan doesnt prove anything. Even aikpracha beat kraus. Superbank never punches in his muay thai fights altough he is a decent boxer. Actually thai fighters used more hands back in the 80s compared to now. Jomthong (who is a better boxer than kraus) had just won the OBPF title in boxing but got embarrassed against Pakorn. 2 of the best kickboxers right now are kaew and sittichai, and even petrosyan was originally a muay thai fighter.

Last edited:
What is more effective? Using one or two arms for fighting?

I didn't ask which is more dangerous i asked which is more effective. Because i've seen people go into mma with just boxing before.

yeah and they lost. just cancel your account man youre destroying sherdogs reputation. anybody that can effectively kick and punch will win.

Karate has more than eight contact points sweeps, takedowns, groundnpound and standing submissions. Also Kempo karate is Ju Jitsu + Karate.
Ergo using the logic of many people in this thread saying 8 contact points greater than two, neither Karate is more effective or Kempo Karate is the most effective.

Karate has more than eight contact points sweeps, takedowns, groundnpound and standing submissions. Also Kempo karate is Ju Jitsu + Karate.
Ergo using the logic of many people in this thread saying 8 contact points greater than two, neither Karate is more effective or Kempo Karate is the most effective.

Indeed, the 8 contact points being greater than anything else is such a simple logic.

yeah and they lost. just cancel your account man youre destroying sherdogs reputation. anybody that can effectively kick and punch will win.

So someone who can box as the better boxer and kick as the better kicker is the best combination...well done, man, you are brilliant. But that's not really what the thread is about.

Buakaw was never an elite muay thai fighter. What are you trying to prove anyways? Kraus KOing kaolan doesnt prove anything. Even aikpracha beat kraus. Superbank never punches in his muay thai fights altough he is a decent boxer. Actually thai fighters used more hands back in the 80s compared to now. Jomthong (who is a better boxer than kraus) had just won the OBPF title in boxing but got embarrassed against Pakorn. 2 of the best kickboxers right now are kaew and sittichai, and even petrosyan was originally a muay thai fighter.

I was trying to prove that boxing is the most effective style, in general, and for mma, in concrete, which is the question in this thread. My arguments weren't solid enough for your taste, wich it's ok.

What I was trying to prove is that a fighter with excellent boxing base who makes the transition to Muay Thai will fare fairly good, despite very little training and prowess in kicking/knee/elbows game.
On the other hand, a fighter with excellent traditional Muay Thai base will have huge problems dealing with an elite boxer in boxing, depiste punching being an asset in MT.
If you talk about a Thai fighter who has won main boxing belts, then that guy has done specific boxing training for a long time, and is just a good boxer also. But that goes off the topic we are talking about here

And talking about mma at the highest level, I think a solid boxing base will help you to impose your pace and range, wich is at the end the most important aspect in fighting at highest levels, more than a good Muay Thai base would help you. Not to mention if you are facing a wrestler, by the third time you throw a power kick you are likely being taken down. But that's just my opinion

Another example of how effective boxing is, it's that there was time when solid pure boxers started entering savate tournaments and even won them just using their hands.

Since then, rules in savate were changed, and there is a certain number of savate kicks (with the foot, not the shin) you need to throw (and land) in order to win a combat.

And if someone thinks savate isn a effective style of fighting in the first place, I recommend to watch the fight between Penachio and Ramon Dekker (a muay thai legend), to understand how effective it can be

Last edited:
Back