Which fighters knew how to make a living after retirement?

GSP, Couture & Gina went to Hollywood.
Most of them coach somewhere.
other find a job with the ufc or other Org.
but still too many end broke, in jail or with addiction problem. sad

Most of the wrestlers who come into the sport have 4 year degrees. That would be my advice is get a degree while training/fighting. Carwin was an engineer and iirc kampman was working towards his degree as well. Most fighters have to find careers after they're done fighting. Only the top fighters set themselves up financially, and even then they have to be careful with their money. I couldn't imagine a career where on average my prime earning years are 23-35. I haven't hit my prime earning years yet. That's very young to have the foresight to prepare for the future.

A lit of them tat opened gyms and didn't pull a Here's Franca.

Ronda Rousey seems to be doing very well in retirement

MLB10316745.jpg

Cro Cop was also special forces before/during his MMA career.

For the most part, the guys who seem to struggle are the guys that probably wouldn't have done much without MMA anyway. I see a guy like Leben, and I don't picture him being a big earner in the real world. Best case scenario for a guy like that is trade work. It's not a knock against the guy, because he gave a lot to MMA, and I'm appreciative of that, but not everyone is born business savey.

Leben mentioned something about wanting to be a truck driver not long after he retired from MMA. Leben is one of my favorite fighters but I have to agree he just doesn't come across as incredibly smart or someone of many talents. If I had to guess as to what Leben would have done in life if he wasn't fighting, I'd say either a bouncer, or lumberjack. Something where he doesn't have to directly interact with a majority of the public, and would facilitate any substance habits he might pick up along the way.

GSP

There are other guys who are making a good living off analyst jobs or podcasts as well

Not saying it pays great but when Tiim Credeur isn't fighting or getting arrested for gun posession, he trains fighters

Couture has his gym, Miesha is part of it, she's getting a title shot.

Schaub was forced into retirement by Rogan, and he's doing his podcast, live shows and getting banned from fox as quickly as possible.

I only view Gina and Cung Le as the only viable fighters who have a Hollywood career. All the rest just make cameos

IMO, Brian Stann. He retired and became an analyst. That's a decent gig which opens up to other prospective offers later on too.

Lee Murray almost made 53 million pounds outside his UFC activities

Serra seems content and well fed.

Genki Sudo is prospering beautifully.

yFPYGbP.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back