Which fantasy UFC 300 match-up is more competitive: Gane vs Lesnar or Shevchenko vs Rousey (WFW)?

Depends. Ronda vs Shevchenko at 145? I think Ronda would give her a lot of trouble at 145.

Lesnar in his prime could probably beat Gane. I suspect Lesnar would be able to get the takedown.

Brock Lesnar was a WWE champion, the highest achievement one can earn in wrestling (on par with Olympic Gold)
He would not fail take secure a take down on Gane

Win or lose, prime Lesnar gets a takedown. Today, I'm less confident but wouldn't be surprised. I don't think he can win today, though.

List what you think the line would be. Here's my prediction:

Heavyweight:

Gane
(-450)
vs Lesnar
(+400)

Women's Featherweight:

Shevchenko
(-600)
vs Rousey
(+450)

IMO, the Rousey fight is more competitive (and the better bet) primarily because of Brock's age (46). Both match-ups are essentially the same (striker vs grappler). In their respective primes, assuming both fights actually got to the ground, I give Rousey a better chance of getting a submission, given her Olympic pedigree. However, I give Brock a better chance of securing a takedown.

I think both fights go down the same way, with Brock getting finished via TKO early after failing to secure a takedown or tiring after Gane gets up in rounds 1 or 2. I think Rousey could make it to a lopsided decision, due to Valentina's low volume counter-striking, but I think a stoppage via TKO is more likely, perhaps a little later than the Brock fight.

The difference with the Rousey fight is that I do think (at least in her prime) she could give Valentina serious problems on the ground because of her size and skill--if she could get it there. Valentina like to clinch at times, that would be a huge mistake against Ronda.
Gane couldn't handle Frank's "Red Hot" wrestling so he isn't getting up from under "Prime" Brock if he gets taken down. I do believe he could keep it on the outside and tire Brock out from face punching.

Gane couldn't handle Frank's "Red Hot" wrestling so he isn't getting up from under "Prime" Brock if he gets taken down. I do believe he could keep it on the outside and tire Brock out from face punching.

Cogent. I take it you don’t think Ronda has anything for Val (at any point)? I don’t favour her, but Ronda is almost as big as Nunes and she’s good on top. Val’s also less aggressive than Nunes and less powerful (well besides kicks). Fight could look weird/boring 3/10 times, Val TKO 5 or 6/10; can Ronda (prime) throw the smaller fighter from the clinch and set up an armbar once or twice /10?

Honestly I think both matches end up like this: Gane loses to Brock and Shevchenko KO’s Rousey,

Cogent. I take it you don’t think Ronda has anything for Val (at any point)? I don’t favour her, but Ronda is almost as big as Nunes and she’s good on top. Val’s also less aggressive than Nunes and less powerful (well besides kicks). Fight could look weird/boring 3/10 times, Val TKO 5 or 6/10; can Ronda (prime) throw the smaller fighter from the clinch and set up an armbar once or twice /10?
I don't think Rhonda has anything for Val. A large part of Rhonda's success was her immense skill in Judo. Another large part was the mystique of Rhonda's sub game. I don't see Val being mentally weak and falling for the mean mugging intimidation. Val went 8 rounds with Nunes so I don't see her being freaked out by her. Maybe Rhonda catches her in an arm bar 1/10?

Back