Which fantasy UFC 300 match-up is more competitive: Gane vs Lesnar or Shevchenko vs Rousey (WFW)?

Reptile_Bong_Hit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
List what you think the line would be. Here's my prediction:

Heavyweight:

Gane
(-450)
vs Lesnar
(+400)

Women's Featherweight:

Shevchenko
(-600)
vs Rousey
(+450)

IMO, the Rousey fight is more competitive (and the better bet) primarily because of Brock's age (46). Both match-ups are essentially the same (striker vs grappler). In their respective primes, assuming both fights actually got to the ground, I give Rousey a better chance of getting a submission, given her Olympic pedigree. However, I give Brock a better chance of securing a takedown.

I think both fights go down the same way, with Brock getting finished via TKO early after failing to secure a takedown or tiring after Gane gets up in rounds 1 or 2. I think Rousey could make it to a lopsided decision, due to Valentina's low volume counter-striking, but I think a stoppage via TKO is more likely, perhaps a little later than the Brock fight.

The difference with the Rousey fight is that I do think (at least in her prime) she could give Valentina serious problems on the ground because of her size and skill--if she could get it there. Valentina like to clinch at times, that would be a huge mistake against Ronda.

I don't think Rousey can get down to flyweight. Shevchenko would have to move up again, which might not be a terrible idea.

I think Brock and Rousey would both get knocked out either way. No way Brock comes back to fight a dangerous striker with no star name.

List what you think the line would be. Here's my prediction:

Heavyweight:

Gane
(-450)
vs Lesnar
(+400)

Women's Featherweight:

Shevchenko
(-600)
vs Rousey
(+450)

IMO, the Rousey fight is more competitive (and the better bet) primarily because of Brock's age (46). Both match-ups are essentially the same (striker vs grappler). In their respective primes, assuming both fights actually got to the ground, I give Rousey a better chance of getting a submission, given her Olympic pedigree. However, I give Brock a better chance of securing a takedown.

I think both fights go down the same way, with Brock getting finished via TKO early after failing to secure a takedown or tiring after Gane gets up in rounds 1 or 2. I think Rousey could make it to a lopsided decision, due to Valentina's low volume counter-striking, but I think a stoppage via TKO is more likely, perhaps a little later than the Brock fight.

The difference with the Rousey fight is that I do think (at least in her prime) she could give Valentina serious problems on the ground because of her size and skill--if she could get it there. Valentina like to clinch at times, that would be a huge mistake against Ronda.
A lot of heel vs heel matchups here.

Rousey to come back after all this time against Val Shev? HELLS NAW

Ronda's brilliant judo fooled people into thinking she's a good grappler overall, but she's not. You can make up for a lot of gap when you're starting the roll with a head start, landing in side control on a stunned opponent. Let's not forget her tendency towards headlocks and sticking to them had Carmouche getting to the back within 30 seconds of their fight and was riding her for a while after. If she wasn't too high and actually readjusted, Ronda would be in more trouble

And Valentina is very well rounded, vs Gane who is clearly not, and weak in the main area Brock could excel. So I think the men would be more competitive. But all this is kinda moot, cuz Ronda was a BW, and isn't making fly

Edit* wait, you decided they'd be featherweight, not fly? .. Any reason why for that?

I don't think Rousey can get down to flyweight. Shevchenko would have to move up again, which might not be a terrible idea.

I think Ronda could probably make 145 lbs; she'd probably have almost 20-25 lbs on Val if they fought at that weight. I agree with your conclusion though.

Edit* wait, you decided they'd be featherweight, not fly? .. Any reason why for that?

I think it'd be an easier cut for Ronda at 36 and the weight-class would make the fight a bit more competitive.

In their primes, I can buy Brock/Gane being the more competitive fight. Today, I think Brock's age and medical history is just too much juxtaposed to Gane's youth and athleticism. Val and Ronda are about the same age, even though Val hasn't declined much, it makes the comparison a little different.

Val is certainly well rounded, but I don't think she's anything special from her back. Her top game is excellent, her wrestling/scrambling is very good, and her rear naked choke defense is solid. However, I think a prime Ronda could potentially set up an armbar.

Debut of ZUFFA BOXING!!!!
Ngannou vs Jake Paul
<5>

I think Ronda could probably make 145 lbs; she'd probably have almost 20-25 lbs on Val if they fought at that weight. I agree with your conclusion though.
Oh, I though WFW meant women's flyweight. I think it'd be at 135 if it happens at all. Shev's not going up to featherweight unless they pay her an absurd amount.

That said, it'd be easier for the UFC to let one of them win the featherweight belt then just forget all about it again.

I think it'd be an easier cut for Ronda at 36 and the weight-class would make the fight a bit more competitive.

In their primes, I can buy Brock/Gane being the more competitive fight. Today, I think Brock's age and medical history is just too much juxtaposed to Gane's youth and athleticism. Val and Ronda are about the same age, even though Val hasn't declined much, it makes the comparison a little different.

Val is certainly well rounded, but I don't think she's anything special from her back. Her top game is excellent, her wrestling/scrambling is very good, and her rear naked choke defense is solid. However, I think a prime Ronda could potentially set up an armbar.
We don't know much about Brock's medical problems affecting his game, Ronda and Brock both last fought in 2016, where Ronda was beaten like a deer in headlights, while Brock (juiced though he was) still thoroughly dictated the grappling against a striker

The only athletic ability we can view to guess how they'd be today is the wrestling ring, where Ronda sucks and Brock still explodes.

So for this, Ronda would cut less and Val jumps up 2 classes? I guess that's the way to make this more competitive, but I just don't see Ronda succeeding at anything anymore

Back