Which elite singer or elite band is the most universally loved by all?

The Beatles is obviously the most acclaimed and beloved band of all time, but it would be interesting to see if another band at least enjoy a higher net approval rating.

That's what you're talking about. Just like the pollsters do with topics or political personalities. What is the difference between those who like/approve, and those who dislike/disapprove.
I'd say though the Stones may have a case for "universal" love a bit more, appeals to both the pop and the rock markets.

I'd say though the Stones may have a case for "universal" love a bit more, appeals to both the pop and the rock markets.
Maybe. These sort of camps don't really exist outside of western culture. You go the East, or to Africa, or even South America, the Caribbean, anywhere you tend to cross cultural boundaries, and niches of genre tend to melt away. That's where the Beatles really shine.

But that's what net approval polls would show. They don't really reflect the passion index, so to speak, of the group who favors them. That's why family films or animations would probably enjoy the highest net approval ratings, but even if Toy Story or Beauty and the Beast had some of the highest net approval ratings of any film, and they almost certainly would, I suspect you'd see far fewer adults putting them at #1 on their lists above The Godfather, or Shawshank Redemption, or Seven Samurai, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, you get the idea.

Net approval isn't about who is the greatest, or who is the most loved. Just who is the most widely liked.

Maybe. These sort of camps don't really exist outside of western culture. You go the East, or to Africa, or even South America, the Caribbean, anywhere you tend to cross cultural boundaries, and niches of genre tend to melt away. That's where the Beatles really shine.

But that's what net approval polls would show. They don't really reflect the passion index, so to speak, of the group who favors them. That's why family films or animations would probably enjoy the highest net approval ratings, but even if Toy Story or Beauty and the Beast had some of the highest net approval ratings of any film, and they almost certainly would, I suspect you'd see far fewer adults putting them at #1 on their lists above The Godfather, or Shawshank Redemption, or Seven Samurai, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc, you get the idea.

Net approval isn't about who is the greatest, or who is the most loved. Just who is the most widely liked.
I feel like when a location was most exposed to English speaking western pop music can play a big role, you mention South America for example and in my experience(vising Brazil/Argentina/Chile) the Stones popularity was far more visable than the Beatles. Seems like the prime period of western music there is the 70's and the 80's, The Stones, Floyd, Led Zep, AC/DC, Queen, U2, The Police etc, plus concerts seem to have been a very important way such music was spread and bands like The Stones and AC/DC have carried on doign massive stadium shows there up to the present day. I was actually in Buenos Aires when the Stones were doing a show at the River Plate stadium and it was a top news story for several days.

Places like Europe and Japan I thin the influence of 60's music was arguably stronger but of course The Stones also played a part in that, your hip french popnecked student would probably have discussed Keefs guitar sound in Satisfaction as much as the opening chord of A Hard Days Night.

Last edited:
Also adding to my post. We invented EDM music.. the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim, etc. and drum and base.

Not bad for a little blob on the map.
Didn't know Kraftwerk have yellow, crooked teeth.

I feel like when a location was most exposed to English speaking western pop music can play a big role, you mention South America for example and in my experience(vising Brazil/Argentina/Chile) the Stones popularity was far more visable than the Beatles. Seems like the prime period of western music there is the 70's and the 80's, The Stones, Floyd, Led Zep, AC/DC, Queen, U2, The Police etc, plus concerts seem to have been a very important way such music was spread and bands like The Stones and AC/DC have carried on doign massive stadium shows there up to the present day. I was actually in Buenos Aires when the Stones were doing a show at the River Plate stadium and it was a top news story for several days.

Places like Europe and Japan I thin the influence of 60's music was arguably stronger but of course The Stones also played a part in that, your hip french popnecked student would probably have discussed Keefs guitar sound in Satisfaction as much as the opening chord of A Hard Days Night.
We don't have net favorability polls, especially by geographical location, so I don't see the point in wasting time on these speculations.

We don't have net favorability polls, especially by geographical location, so I don't see the point in wasting time on these speculations.
We don't but hanging out in BA, going to bars/cafes with posters, murals of bands, listening to the radio, etc my expereince is the Stones were more popular and indeed 70's/80's music generally was compared to 60's.

Honestly I think you could make the case its actually the Beatles which benefit more from just focus on the western world because their so tied up to the counter culture of the 60's which has such a big continued influence but outside of Europe and North America(and somewhat Japan) I would say that diminishes significantly.

We don't but hanging out in BA, going to bars/cafes with posters, murals of bands, listening to the radio, etc my expereince is the Stones were more popular and indeed 70's/80's music generally was compared to 60's.
That's anecdote, and it convey nothing concrete about net favorability.
Honestly I think you could make the case its actually the Beatles which benefit more from just focus on the western world because their so tied up to the counter culture of the 60's which has such a big continued influence but outside of Europe and North America(and somewhat Japan) I would say that diminishes significantly.
No, this is one argument we know is wrong. You can access streaming figures, even today, to compare the bands. The Beatles average more monthly listeners despite being a defunct band with no continued touring. This is true across the non-English speaking world.

That's anecdote, and it convey nothing concrete about net favorability.
Its anecdotal but I think that is the kind of thing its possible to get a pretty good idea of without having some in-depth survay, I'm sure the Beatles are still pretty popular there but less so relative to the UK in my expereince.
No, this is one argument we know is wrong. You can access streaming figures, even today, to compare the bands. The Beatles average more monthly listeners despite being a defunct band with no continued touring. This is true across the non-English speaking world.
We were talking world wide popularity though weren't we? most streaming does come from the western world.

My point was the Beatles status as massive cultural figures from the 60's arguably doesnt mean much to some African farmer, he does like listening to Honky Tonk Woman at his local bar though.

We were talking world wide popularity though weren't we? most streaming does come from the western world.
I specified these indicators show the Beatles are more popular in the non-English speaking world, too. You can tap into regional trends. Stuff like is tracked by Spotify, Billboard, etc. You can look at Chinese apps like QQ. You can find bestselling album charts of all time for some countries.

*Edit*
To be more specific, looking at South America, we can even restrict this to recent popularity. Since 2014, across all major streaming platforms:
-- The Beatles have 11 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 5700 hit songs in Brazil. The Rolling Stones have zero.
-- The Beatles have 11 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 5000 hit songs in Argentina. The Rolling Stones have two.
-- The Beatles have 14 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 4000 hit songs in Peru. The Rolling Stones have four.
-- The Beatles have 4 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 4400 hit songs in Colombia. The Rolling Stones have one.

I could go on. You get the picture. This is why anecdote is mere anecdote.

Last edited:
The media was pushing Beyonce, but it turns out she isn't really that loved. Adele has way more global appeal. I get saying Queen--they get the rock fans, gay fans, Europe and America. Asians love them too.

I will add Journey. I was in a bar in NOLA and watched a whole black crowd sing along to "Don't Stop Believing". I was blown away. They still sell out arenas even with a replacement singer. Now they have all of Asia loving them because of the new singer as well.

My List:
1. Bob Marley--The world loves his music.
2. Beatles--You may not listen to them as a genre, but everyone respects them.
3. Journey/Queen
4. Michael Jackson--His Halogram could sell out a stadium in Timbuktu.

I specified these indicators show the Beatles are more popular in the non-English speaking world, too. You can tap into regional trends. Stuff like is tracked by Spotify, Billboard, etc. You can look at Chinese apps like QQ. You can find bestselling album charts of all time for some countries.

*Edit*
To be more specific, looking at South America, we can even restrict this to recent popularity. Since 2014, across all major streaming platforms:
-- The Beatles have 11 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 5700 hit songs in Brazil. The Rolling Stones have zero.
-- The Beatles have 11 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 5000 hit songs in Argentina. The Rolling Stones have two.
-- The Beatles have 14 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 4000 hit songs in Peru. The Rolling Stones have four.
-- The Beatles have 4 songs from their catalogue that have ranked in the Top 4400 hit songs in Colombia. The Rolling Stones have one.

I could go on. You get the picture. This is why anecdote is mere anecdote.
Again though that doesn't really tell you widespread cultural popularity, I think the Beatles often tend to be VERY popular with a certain segment of society even in the West, I certainly know way more Beatles obsessives than I known Stones obsessives.

if your talking "band which everyone is most likely to not dislike" I feel that is a significant issue and I do think the rock/pop divide is actually pretty strong outside of the west as well, in some places actually stronger.

Again though that doesn't really tell you widespread cultural popularity, I think the Beatles often tend to be VERY popular with a certain segment of society even in the West, I certainly know way more Beatles obsessives than I known Stones obsessives.

if your talking "band which everyone is most likely to not dislike" I feel that is a significant issue and I do think the rock/pop divide is actually pretty strong outside of the west as well, in some places actually stronger.
That's exactly what music charts tell you.

Also adding to my post. We invented EDM music.. the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim, etc. and drum and base.

Not bad for a little blob on the map.

Kraftwerk and Moroder take most of the credit for innovations there.

That's exactly what music charts tell you.
Not the same way physical media charts do(and then one person can obviously buy a lot) because repeat listens add up.

Total sales wise and hardcore fan wise the Beatles definitely reign supreme but in terms of "how many dislike them" I feel perhaps not.

Not the same way physical media charts do(and then one person can obviously buy a lot) because repeat listens add up.
First, that assumption is fairly rejected at the outset without proof that certain bands disproportionately inspire repeated listening from their fanbase at a greater rate than other bands, because otherwise there's no reason to assume that. Second, these services also track things independent of total streams like discrete total monthly listeners.

You seem determined to bend over backwards looking for the slimmest ray of daylight cutting through to indicate the Stones are more popular rather than just accept the glaring sun staring you in the face.

Back