Where would you rank Floyd in this RING Mag All-Time Greatest list?

Lifer

Elder
@Brown
Reaction score
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Henry Armstrong
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Joe Louis
5. Roberto Duran
6. Willie Pep
7. Harry Greb
8. Benny Leonard
9. Sugar Ray Leonard
10. Pernell Whitaker
11. Carlos Monzon
12. Rocky Marciano
13. Ezzard Charles
14. Archie Moore
15. Sandy Saddler
16. Jack Dempsey
17. Marvin Hagler
18. Julio Cesar Chavez
19. Eder Jofre
20. Alexis Arguello
21. Barney Ross
22. Evander Holyfield
23. Ike Williams
24. Salvador Sanchez
25. George Foreman

-----

I personally have him in the top 5-10 bumping Sweet pea out of the top 10 and ahead of Duran at the highest. I can't rank him ahead of Joe Louis. Not yet at least.

Last edited:
i hate that list. all they are doing is name dropping guys from the early days who fought loads of times that nobody has ever heard of in order to seem credible. dont get me wrong, theyre all time greats but other, more modern fighters should be on that list ahead of some of them.

ive read a lot of stuff on boxing history and i know of all of those guys but some of them dont belong anywhere near the top 20 of all time. its sheer arrogance from Ring. they seem to think that naming modern guys in their list would damage their credibility.

Ali should be number 1, no doubt. but becuase hes so famous they wont do it. Bert Sugar was another pretentious tool when it came to this stuff as well. he named joe louis as the best HW ever over Ali.

just my opinion. sigh

I'd rank him at #10 at this point. I give him a slight edge over Pernell off hand, But i could change my mind. Mayweather has more quality wins and a better record but Whitaker has the much better career defining fights at this stage. He beat JCC and fought two prime HOF welterweights in Trinidad and DLH to a standstill.

sorry TS, should have answered your thread Q. id have him top 10, no doubt. Pac aside, the man has fought everyone and with 4 fights left on his deal i can see him going after danny garcia, the winner of khan/alexander and maybe even going up another weight.

id love to see him challenge golavkin! i dont think he would go up to MW but id love to see it

I'd rank him at #10 at this point. I give him a slight edge over Pernell off hand, But i could change my mind. Mayweather has more quality wins and a better record but Whitaker has the much better career defining fights at this stage. He beat JCC and fought two prime HOF welterweights in Trinidad and DLH to a standstill.

You mean lost to those fighters HOF

Floyd is head and shoulders above Sweet pea

One problem with ranking Mayweather ... Are we assuming he'd actually sign to fight Duran/Robinson/Leornard etc? And are we comparing him direct against them in a fight or how he has dominated his era compared to them?
Further - I always have an issue with p4p lists. They assume smaller guys would carry up their power and pace to HW, but weaken a HW whilst not improving their speed. If you're with me?

Back