Where would Ronda Rousey rank if she fought in 2020?

We would never know because she's the type to quit after a couple of losses.

top 5 for sure. don't see her beating nunes/shevchenko but she has a good chance versus basically anyone else.

It's hard to say. She doesn't seem like the fighter to work on her weaknesses. So a Holly Holm kind of fighter would still light her up. a GDR beats her, Holly would still beat her.

But I can see Ronda beating Yana, Raquel Pennington, Marion Renau, Julianna Peña.

So I'll hazard a guess and say 4th-8th

Nunes and GDR are way ahead.

But other than that I don't think Ronda is far behind.
People act like the new generation is much better and Ronda just beat some bums who would be useless today, but that's not true.

Miesha Tate beat current BW #2 Holm

Liz Carmouche beat the current #1 and #3 girls at FW

Not sure about girls like Aspen Ladd.
But the bottom half of the BW top 10 looks weak.
#9 McMann - already lost to Ronda
#10 Reneau - lost to Cat Zingano just two years ago.

The fact that Chookagian lost to Eye in 2018, who in turn lost to Bethe Correira just shows that the bar isn't that high. Apart from a few top girls: anyone can lose to anyone.
maybe even Eubanks who is solid everywhere
Really? Figured everyone would count her out after losing to Bethe

Last edited:
Not very high now.

The sport has moved on beyond a fighter with only olympic-level judo could dominate, and she became convinced she had elite-level striking.

Add to that, she's been off for 3+ years. Ring rust is a bitch, and she takes losses as bad as anyone possibly can due to her bipolar disorder. She's mentally broken now, with no desire to return to the cage.

Now if 24 year old Ronda Rousey could enter the cage today? Good question. She'd maybe crack the Top 10, but most strikers that can keep her at distance would dominate her.
I’m not a Ronda fan or anything but this is revisionist crap

Struggle to see her as top 5. She’d have problems with the likes of Pennington, Veira, Ladd and maybe even Eubanks who is solid everywhere.

The Nunes fight was an accurate representation of how far Ronda is now behind the game. She didn’t go down swanging and banging like Cyborg. She was backing up scared and her Judo completely nullified.

Unless Ronda went to another gym she’d only absorb more losses. Edmond just can’t give a fighter what they need to be elite. Apparently the people that were brought in to spar with her weren’t allowed to hit her back. That’s why her striking defence is so poor.

Ronda would need to prioritise 2 main changes - learn how to defend herself and most gyms do that by throwing the girls in with the young lads. There’s a story about PVZ sparring a 15 year kick-boxer. PVZ isn’t that good but her defence is better than Ronda’s. So Ronda needs real sparring where her partners are hitting her back.

And the second thing she’d need to do is develop a good level change, shoot for the legs in order to take the fight to the ground. Nunes showed why Judo is considered ineffective, it’s easy to just shrug a person off who’s going for the head and neck.

That's interesting. I always assumed the NDAs Ronda forced everyone to sign were to stop people from talking about how bad she was at semi-legitimate boxing training. It's entirely different if she wouldn't let them hit back and she still looked like shit.

I think the thing everyone keeps missing and I keep harping about is that Ronda doesn't have the intellectual/emotional capacity to go to a real gym. Her judo was learned over years of her mom beating it into her like a plantation slave. She really isn't capable of learning significant new skills on a regular training basis on her own terms. Ronda doesn't want to go through another year or two of hardcore, forced training that would be necessary to go beyond being a gatekeeper for the top 5.

Plus, she is terrified of looking dumb and not being the best at something. She could make excuses in Ronda fantasy land after the Holm loss, but Nunes shut the door on that even for her undefeated delusion. At least she lost to champs. The only way she takes a non-title fight is if she is broke and some playboy oil sheik shells out millions of dollars for her to come back. That and she has some sort of advantage. Holm after surgery for a leg/arm fracture, Tate after years of inactivity with Ronda training with advance notice, someone she beat handily before and hasn't improved, etc..

I’m not a Ronda fan or anything but this is revisionist crap

<LikeReally5>

I said 'The Sport Has Moved On.'

And it has.

The tricks & techniques fighters used a decade ago aren't as effective as they used to.

<LikeReally5>

I said 'The Sport Has Moved On.'

And it has.

The tricks & techniques fighters used a decade ago aren't as effective as they used to.
I see girls at high levels getting hiptossed all the fucking time so I just don’t agree with you. Rondas downfall were the yes men around her she could have been even better had she stuck to her roots. She would still probably be top 5 now, washed up and ring rusted as she is.

Ye top 5 is believable.

but it would be in the 3-5 ranking imo..

Probably crying because she got her shit kicked in by a good striker. Even with the weight difference many straw weights would put a beating on her.

That one trick pony wouldn't crack the top 10. Let's stop fooling ourselves, she was great because the competition sucked. Time moved past her and she didn't add to her skill set. Any halfway descent striker would destroy her. Holly provided the perfect map to beat her. If she changed camps maybe but that is a maybe.

I see girls at high levels getting hiptossed all the fucking time so I just don’t agree with you.

Did I say hiptosses are ineffective?

No, in fact since they're so sparsely used in MMA they're as effective as they ever have been. They'd great at catching opponents off guard and securing a very dominant position.

Rondas downfall were the yes men around her she could have been even better had she stuck to her roots. She would still probably be top 5 now, washed up and ring rusted as she is.

Agreed, that was an issue, but not as large as one like her kryptonite was powerful strikers that could keep her at range.

Even if she wasn't surrounded by yes men, do you think she'd still be the champ, and not get eaten alive by Holms, Nunes, or Valentina?

Perhaps she would have given Holms a better fight if she had a better gameplan, but no, Prime Ronda on her best day would have been destroyed by Nunes or Valentina on their worst day.

And now everyone knows why Dana was avoiding a Rousey/Cyborg fight like the plague.

I think Ronda's biggest problems were that she bought into her own hype, and her training camp is a bunch of yes men that didn't help her grow. She's tough, has good power and doesn't seem to mind too much getting hit. Of course her judo is top notch. If she beefed up her striking game she could still be a top WMMA fighter

Shifu Tarverdyan's striking lessons are good advanced for Ronda to be use in UFC.
I64dMr.gif

So she ended up doing this
SelfreliantPepperyHackee-small.gif
BarrenDelightfulAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

Ronda tried to emulate Baki, but she has no talent and is a 2/10 striker.
MiniatureFinishedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

Mo_h79.gif

GRExsyQ.gif

tenor.gif

Ronda proves how weak WMMA was in her generation, she is horrible.<45>

0 defense, 0 head movement, she has no footwork, she does not know how to combine punches,Ronda kicks are pathetic, she does not attack the body, she is a beginner.

considering Ronda defensive stance, any boxer humiliates her.

she fights by instinct doesn't have technique bad striker!

What's her gameplan? Holm completely stiffled her grappling to the point of 100% nullification. Ronda won't ever be able to strike with her.

What possible gameplan can she have? I can't see it.

For one, don’t rush in. Bid her time wait for Holly over commit before trying to take her down.

Push Holm against the fence instead of trying to take her down in the open.

Switch up her takedowns.

Miesha was able to get Holly to the ground, Ronda could do it as well.

She would be top 5, WMMA hasn’t evolved at all no matter how many times Sherdog says it has.

In hindsight her loss to nunes wasn’t as bad as it seemed. She could beat Holm with right adjustments. GDR has no TDD and gets submitted, Ladd has no striking and is an inferior grappler. Pennyton is horrendous and overweight. Pena, isn’t very good either. She could be #1 just behind Nunes.

The only woman’s division with talent is Straweight(very good quality) the UFC should make everything from 125-150 woman’s heavyweight so that the divisions won’t be as shallow.
I hear ya man. Ive said in the in the past that combining 115 to 135 is the best way to assure a great division and fights for wmma. Meet the weight somewhere in the middle, girls dont carry that much muscle, so it shouldnt be THAT difficult. A división with Nunes, Shev, GDR, Cybro, JJ, Wei Leí, Rose, Andrade, Suarez etc etc is a división i would actually watch.

Last edited:
Better question, IMO, is how she would have fared had she not been with a guy like Edmond who deluded her into thinking she was a boxing champion wanting to strike with Holm and Nunes

I think she'd still crack the UFC's top 5, but not top 5 overall. She would get wiped by Nunes (obviously), Shevchenko, Cyborg, Holm (obviously) and would struggle to win against Germaine de Randamie and Kayla Harrison. She could still earn a title shot if the UFC protected her a little.

UFC: #5
Overall: #7

hi-res-490b0312117dafd6c080bfb954ea9dcf_crop_north.jpg
Under Amandas shoe

What kind of scenario are talking? A dream scenario in which Rousey didn't retire 4 years ago? Or a dream scenario in which she just unretires and comes back to MMA?

If it's the latter, yeah, she could be about top 5. Knowing Ronda she could be a pig right now, probably didn't have that much exercise. She would be leaps and bounds above the average WMMA fighter, but the top of the top would beat her.

If the dream scenario is that she didn't retire in 2016, booted Edmond, got to AKA, trained mostly ground game, improved her standup defense, tried to basically become a woman Khabib - in that case she could beat anyone in 2020. Even Amanda. Actually if Edmond didn't fool Rousey into thinking she can strike, I think she had quite decent chance to beat at least Holm the first time around (it's not like Tate didn't do exactly what Ronda should've done, and Tate herself lost twice to Ronda).

If she went to Greg Jackson or Tri Star then she'd be likely top 3 at W 135.

The narrative that WMMA evolved past Rousey is nonsense. She believed her own hype and deviated from her strengths that got her to the top, which were clinch - takedown - armbar.

The fact that she made no adjustments after the Holm KO speaks volumes about her ego and her sh*t coaching

Back