Where to start...

FightFreak715

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys...I've been on a recent binge of watching MMA matches and clips and I'm loving it. I'm just so amazed at what these guys can do.

Anyway, I've always wanted to learn how to fight properly and would just like some advice on the proper path. Basically, I just want to be sure I can defend myself in a streetfight. Doing such a thing competitively also sounds like a ton of a fun to me, as well. I've never been in fight or a real fighting match, and though I have this potentially fabricated notion that I can fight and would do pretty well, I just want to be sure. I guess that comes from play sparring and wrestling with buddies and being able to punch harder (and faster) than all my 200+ lbs. friends...delusional, I know.

I'm 25 years old, 6'1", 190 lbs (one parts muscle, two parts flab) and have had pretty poor flexibility my whole life. I can't remember the last time I was able to come close to touching my toes. Muay Thai is really appealing to me, but I feel I'd be limited by my lack of flexibility. I'm pretty athletic and coordinated though, having played sports most of my life.

I would just like to know, all these things considered that I've just run down, what would be a good functional fighting style to learn? I know this is a standup forum, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks, guys.

The stock answer here on Sherdog is "BJJ and Muay Thai," and that's certainly not a wrong answer. They're both good, practical styles. Lacking access to either, find a school that teaches something else, be sure to do your homework and find out what sort of credentials the instructor or instructors have.

As for being flabby and inflexible: it'd be in your interest to whip yourself into some kind of shape before starting. You can't train when you have no endurance and every muscle in you body hurts like hell. Though it's not required; and hardly anyone walks in the door of a school with the flexibility of a circus contortionist.

Most people think that they need to be in shape in order to start fight training, this is untrue the best thing is to just start training, if your not very flexible and not in great shape training will help get you there. Its not like a beginner is gonna be expected to spar full contact with pro fighters when he first starts out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back