Where The Hell Is My Kava Kava???

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
I used to take kava kava a few years ago, and I've been wanting to start on it again. I asked my wife to pick some up today, and she went to 4 stores - including GNC - and couldn't find it. The pharmacy guy at Wal-Mart said he thought the FDA pulled it from the shelves for "some reason". She checked online and found several suppliers of it. I'll place an order later this week.

What's the deal? I've read rumors about kava kava causing liver damage, but there's no solid proof. Why would the supply be so limited now?

I used to take it when I worked a high-stress job, and I swear the stuff kept me from decapitating several co-workers :icon_evil . I've been dealing with some stressful situations lately, and I really could use another supply. I took the pill form, not the liquid. I don't think I could drink it, as it's pretty bitter stuff.

Please share your experiences and opinions of "nature's prozac" - good or bad. Also, can anyone recommend a specific brand/dosage for me?

yeah, i used to stock that stuff at the grocery store and then we had to pull it. the pope even used to drink it. how bad could it be.

RoccCity said:
yeah, i used to stock that stuff at the grocery store and then we had to pull it. the pope even used to drink it. how bad could it be.

WTF for? Why. NOOOOOOoooooo!

I'm stressed. You'll see me on the news in a few days if I don't get some. J/K!

you can order the pure stuff and make tea, i actually planned on doin that

Actually I do remember hearing a few years ago that Kava has some negative side-effects. I'll see if I can find the article.

creepingcharlie said:
Ok, I guess there is a possibility that Kava is extremely damaging to the liver.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/kava/kava.shtml

But the FDA report said it "may" cause liver damage to those with an "existing condition."

Here's another opinion: http://www.raysahelian.com/kava.html

From that site:

In the last few years there have been several reports of individuals in Europe with liver damage while consuming kava on a regular basis. A few reports of liver damage occurring in kava users in the US have also been mentioned in the media. As of now, there have not been any scientific published studies that have proven liver damage occurs in subjects consuming kava. There are many individuals in the Pacific islands who consume kava on a daily basis for almost a lifetime with no apparent liver damage reported. Drinking kava has been part of their culture for hundreds of years. Kava, traditionally consumed in the Pacific as water extracts, has been found to contain far less kavalactones than what is present in kava capsules.
My preliminary assessment is that it is possible that the liver damage in some individuals was due to kava. However, it is possible that kava was not the culprit, or the only culprit. Some of those who have been found with liver damage were taking other medicines along with the kava, or were very very old. Perhaps kava is harmful to the liver if combined with certain medicines. Maybe some of them abused alcohol or had a history of hepatitis. It is also possible that the extraction method to make kava capsules in Europe is different than that in the US which explains more cases reported in Europe than in the states. Europeans extract the kavalactones by hexane or acetone, and make their product contain 70% kavalactones while in the US, most products are 30 to 55% kavalactones. Another possibility is that there may be individuals who have a genetic predisposition to have an unusual liver toxic reaction to kava.

possenti said:
But the FDA report said it "may" cause liver damage to those with an "existing condition."
[/I]

I know, that's why I said "possibility."

I guess I don't know what you guys are using it for. Sleep aide?

creepingcharlie said:
I know, that's why I said "possibility."

I guess I don't know what you guys are using it for. Sleep aide?
stress reliever

RoccCity said:
stress reliever

You got it. I liken it to smoking a joint - without the buzzy head, cottonmouth or munchies. It really mellows me out.

I don't drink or do drugs. Kava has been my ONLY vice. I deserve it :D .

If it's good enough for the Pope, it's good enough for me.

I have tried some stuff from GNC and the local health foods/whole foods place and have had nothing but a numbing effect on the tounge/mouth. I once (just to see if I"d feel anything) tried some extract and the tea combined and felt nothing. The tea from GNC that I mentioned above did relax me a bit, but no more than drinking any tea, since drinking tea is relaxing itself.

I read on a few sites that talk about kava and they said that stomach contents is important and you are not supposed to eat 5 hours before drinking it. It was traditionally used after work but before dinner. I dunno, tried it a few times and felt nothing, and it doesn't taste good at all. I"m not impressed.

pure kava's hard to find

luckily I have family in Hawaii.

It's good when it's real.

A few years ago they where putting little warning signs on all the Kava Kava supplements. I forgot what it was warning about, but all stores had to put it.

Wolverine
///

Back