Where Ribeiros bot good enough?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sethk, Oct 13, 2010.

1. sethk

sethk Sho ho ho nuff

So Diego Sanchez left the Ribeiros....Why? I didn't hear anyting about it any interview...any bad blood..etc?

(meant NOT good enough)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

Riberio's are jiu jitsu guys, Greg Jackson's is just a better place for an MMA fighter to thrive in.

3. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Do you have a cold? :icon_chee

4. sethk

sethk Sho ho ho nuff

Damn..:redface:

But yeah I know Ribieros are jits guys...was just curious if there was any residual left behind after the separation. Haven't heard much..thats all.

5. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

Not a good fit to corner Diego and be his main trainers imo. Their cornering in the BJ fight was so bad. They had nothing for him.

6. Nordic Nonsense

Nordic Nonsense Chelsea Blue Belt

While the Riberios are legends in BJJ, they're not exactly to par with MMA training, and (as someone else pointed out) cornering. BJJ in MMA and normal BJJ are two different things, and I think that's mainly why Diego had to leave.

While I don't particularly like Jackson's gameplanning, he does know how to win fights and is a great corner man. At the end of the day, a wins a win and a loss is a loss, and when you're an MMA fighter the way to pay the bills is getting a win.

7. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

Greasing!

8. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Maybe he switched (back) because Greg Jackson is one of the top MMA trainers in the world.

Frankly Diego's ground game has always been great. It's his wrestling and striking that needs work, and if he's gonna stay at 170 then he needs strength too. Jackson is a master at putting it all together, and that's what Diego needs. Plus it's not like he won't be getting high-level bjj training in with Greg Jackson's camp.

I haven't heard much about the split from the Ribeiro's. I'd imagine that there wasn't too much heat.