Where is the logic for Wonderboy to fight Rakhamonov ?

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Ive seen embedded now with Thompson playing karate with kids ... obviously we can expect Rakhamonov will just squeeze wonderboy until he taps ,
so whats up with him taking that fight at all ?
Im not betting but this fight looks like a safe bet on Rakhamonov

“I wanted [Kamaru] Usman because Usman called me out, but UFC already has something set up for him and I wanted someone that was ranked above me,” Thompson told The MMA Hour. “Most of the guys that I’ve faced have been ranked behind me. The Geoff Neals and the Vicente Luques, [Michel] Pereira, which you let these guys come up they should be able to make weight, but I wanted somebody ranked above me and it didn’t matter really who it was. So the Usman fight didn’t happen, so there was Shavkat. I know he was supposed to fight [Kelvin] Gastelum, which I think Gastelum [withdrew due to a] cut, so he didn’t have anybody. I saw him on social media, I know he’s ranked above me, and it just worked out for the both of us.

“It was 1.5 years ago, maybe, I think, UFC wanted me to fight Shavkat, and to be honest with you, I didn’t know who he was at the time,” he continued. “I think he’s only had, like, five fights in the UFC. Obviously, I turned it down, I didn’t know who the guy was, and then after that, I tuned in and saw him fight Neil Magny, saw him fight Geoff Neal, and I’m like, ‘Bro, this dude’s legit,’ and now he’s ranked above me. So, anybody that’s ranked above me, I told the UFC I’m down for. This is the guy I think could possibly be Welterweight champ at some point. He’s that good, undefeated, I think he has a 100 percent finish rate, so what better guy to go out there and show the world and the UFC that I deserve a title shot by fighting this guy?”

Wonderboy took this fight because Shavkat is aggressive and barely moves his head off centerline. He is going to eat some of Thompsons best shots fighting that way. I think wonderboy is confident enough in his power. Shavkat has a chin so it should make for a barnburner. Great matchup.

A win over Shavkat would put him pretty close to title contention, that's why. Unlikely he pulls it off but it makes sense.

They are both in the top 10/top 5 of the welterweight division and they have never faced each other. That should be enough, but I guess on a card where a guy has a title shot with 2 wins over the last 4 years against guys on a losing streaks, I understand why some people are asking this question.

I favour shavkat but this fight is far from a foregone conclusion. Most of this fight will likely be on the feet

It does make a lot of sense actually. Guy is ranked above him and has a high profile at the moment.

Thompson had a stellar performance against Holland. In the eyes of many, and rightfully so, WB has great standup. If Shavkat beats him in standup it will give him great recognition.

It's a huge gamble but if he beats shavkat he jumps the line. if he loses it's over and it already has been. If he beats shavkat, I know colby would fight wonderboy without doubt, if colby were holding the title. (he'd think it's an easy matchup)

He screwed the pooch by not fighting Michel at 3 lbs over. That was a much easier fight for him, especially at elevation in SLC. Then he made it public he wasn’t getting paid for not fighting. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got told to take this fight or retire. 5 fights in 4 years is a joke. The guy must think he is Colby or something. And people wonder why the rankings never change. He’s a good guy, etc. But fight or retire.

Definitely rooting for Wonderboy in this one. Will be hilarious if old ass Wonderboy beats the big hype train.

I think it’s because a lot of guys are in no big hurry to fight Shavkat

Back