Where does Poirier go with a loss to Holloway?

Mattitude V1

WAR CONDIT
@Silver
Reaction score
I think this interim title fight is a pretty big deal. Holloway taking a loss in the middle of this FW run would be huge. Especially to a non-champion like Poirier. But if DP loses, I think he's way more fucked. He fought hard to get where he is and things had to break just right for him to make it. If he loses and doesn't even get the Khabib fight, where does he go? Just to the middle of the pack?

Depends how he loses. If its close he stays in the division. If he gets blown out he moves.

Idk, does he have an easier job cutting to featherweight than Max at this point?

He does what he always does - build himself back up to title contention. He's on the best run of his career tho so if he loses he might not have to win too many to be back there

There is no shame in losing to a top P4P guy like Max. If he ends up losing a close fight, the trilogy fight would be there in the future as well.

Back to 145

If the fire's still there he isn't going anywhere. He'll still be highly ranked and there's tons of good fights for him.

He’s the FW champion. I think it’s obvious where he goes. It’s not like Dana can force him to move up. Not if he makes weight with no problems.

He is towards the end of his career. I don't think he has another run in him. Even though he is "young", he is at the ten year mark.

Losing to a pound for pounder who now walks around at 180 will not set Dustin back in a significant manner. Of course, a loss is a loss but Max skyrockets (remember 14 in a row now and beating an upper tier diamond in 155 debut) to top 3 and Dustin remains inside the top 5 pocket. Who ever wins this fight earns title fight with bhibster when he comes back.
* no brainer, imo.

Where does he go..? Goes nowhere, stays and keeps banging hard in the division he can even run it back with Max if this fight is fireworks a whole lot of work and rework to do Dustin is good...

Last edited:
I'd say he can easily fight Gaethje again, Or Edson lol.

If he loses to Holloway, they'll still be 1-1 with each other. No shame in losing to Holloway. He would still be "in the mix" in Dana's words. If he strings a few wins together, he'll be back in no time. I mean Gaethje was KO'd by Alvarez and Poirier, but now that he's got some wins under his belt he's back in talks for a title shot.

Max is legit and much better now than when he first lost to Poirier.

But Poirier has a tougher road back if he loses. He's on the cusp of financial security if he wins and gets Khabib or the Conor rematch, otherwise he falls to the middle/bottom of the division and takes on guys like Vick or Barboza.

I had to check out his record I didn't realize he was so young and I had no idea Max was only 27. Seems like Dustin has been around forever but he's only 30. I don't see him winning but I don't see him going anywhere. His status will remain where it is. Tough time to try and grab a belt.

I kind of favor him in this fight. I know Max is coming off of a great win, but this is not a gimme fight for either fighter.

Outside of the circumstances, interim belt, another champ moving up etc, it's a fascinating fight.

Yes, the hype video worked on me.

If he loses, he should fight the winner of Cowboy vs Al.

Back