Where does current LW rank among GOAT kickboxing divisions?

It's looking great, but man, Stoyan needs to be ranked higher. His split losses have been questionable if I can recall.

LW/70KG has ALWAYS been the best and most stacked division in Kickboxing. Right now is no exception.

We do have some solid lighter divisions now as well. The higher in weight you go, the more shallow the divisions become.

LW/70KG has ALWAYS been the best and most stacked division in Kickboxing. Right now is no exception.

We do have some solid lighter divisions now as well. The higher in weight you go, the more shallow the divisions become.

Has it ever been better tho?

Back in day with K1 HW it was deep as hell.

I think it is better to use a range to define an era. The MAX era was from 2002 - 2014, but did not operate a world MAX final tournament in 2011 and 2013, so we'll just call it a ten year era. Here are (roughly) the major names from that time:

Masato
Yodsanklai
Buakaw
Andy Souwer
Giorgio Petrosyan
Mike Zambidis
Gago Drago
Yoshihiro Sato
Artur Kyshenko
Dhzabar Askerov
Chahid Oulad El Hadj
Yasuhiro Kido
Murthel Groenhart
Mohammed Khamal
Enriko Kehl
Yuya Yamamoto
Albert Kraus
Takayuki Kohiruimaki
Kaolan Kaovichit
John Wayne Parr
Kozo Takeda

And here are (roughly) the major names from the last 10 years:

Chingiz Allazov
Superbon
Marat Grigorian
Sitthichai Sitsongpeenong
Robin van Roosmalen
Stoyan Koprivlenski
Dylan Salvador
Josh Jauncey
Ouyang Feng
Tawanchai
Jonay Risco
Mamuka Usubyan
Tayfun Ozcan
Davit Kiria
Tyjani Beztati
Kaito Ono
Andy Ristie

I think the MAX era still had the deeper divisions, as well as having more guys who were elite or near it. They also had the benefit of all competing in the same organization and faced each other often, where the second list of fighters are separated by promotions and such nowadays.

Last edited:
I think it is better to use a range to define an era. The MAX era was from 2002 - 2014, but did not operate a world MAX final tournament in 2011 and 2013, so we'll just call it a ten year era. Here are (roughly) the major names from that time:

Giorgio Petrosyan

And here are (roughly) the major names from the last 10 years:

Chingiz Allazov

Allazov seems unstoppable right now, but the one guy I think can still beat him in a rematch would be Petro... Would be interesting if ONE can make that fight again, maybe as a retirement fight for Giorgio.
-
Also, you forgot Superbon in that list.

Allazov seems unstoppable right now, but the one guy I think can still beat him in a rematch would be Petro... Would be interesting if ONE can make that fight again, maybe as a retirement fight for Giorgio.
I think if Giorgio was younger he could do it, but I am not so sure he still has it in him; he took the loss to Superbon really hard and hasn't fought since April of last year (afaik). I would still like to see the fight though - Petro's biggest strength has always been his fight IQ, so even if he's not as athletic he could still get it done, and in the event Chingiz wins, it's a fairly proper passing of the torch imo. I think besides a rematch against Giorgio, the only other interesting fight for Chingiz would be to fight Tyjani Beztati. I don't see that happening unless he waits for his ONE contract to end and goes over to Glory or the inverse happens with Beztati, though.

Also, you forgot Superbon in that list.
I don't know how I forgot him! I will edit it and add him in, thank you for pointing that out

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back