Where do you rank Ngannou among the best HW's of all-time?

Where do you rank Ngannou among the best HW's of all-time?

• Total voters
Thanks man! Yeah, since I rank by resume, there are fighters I didn’t list that could potentially beat Ngannou, and fighters I did list that I would favor Ngannou to beat. I do that because fighters can always have bad style matchups, off nights, whatever. “How did they do overall relative to their division, and what did they accomplish,” are what I look at. For Lesnar, he just doesn’t have a huge resume. But def got thrown right to the wolves and has some great wins.
I like your list. I get your point with Brock, too, overall resume being what it is, but I think in reality he's probably somewhere in that top 15...

I like your AA placement too. yeah he had some KO losses, but always had skill, always was a tough opponent, held belts, etc.

I feel like anyone putting Francis top 5-10 right now are using a lot of recency bias. I'm not saying he won't be there, he's got the skills and abilities, I just don't think he's there yet.

that tends to happen here a lot though. one 'surprising' win makes someone GOAT material, one loss erases their entire career. I respect Francis beating Gane, but I feel like Gane was over hyped going into it to begin with, I'm not near as amazed by it as a lot seem to be.

I like your list. I get your point with Brock, too, overall resume being what it is, but I think in reality he's probably somewhere in that top 15...

I like your AA placement too. yeah he had some KO losses, but always had skill, always was a tough opponent, held belts, etc.

I feel like anyone putting Francis top 5-10 right now are using a lot of recency bias. I'm not saying he won't be there, he's got the skills and abilities, I just don't think he's there yet.

that tends to happen here a lot though. one 'surprising' win makes someone GOAT material, one loss erases their entire career. I respect Francis beating Gane, but I feel like Gane was over hyped going into it to begin with, I'm not near as amazed by it as a lot seem to be.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. And I agree. It seems like those who rank him very highly so it based on some subjective “eye test,” like: Oh, I think Ngannou smashes prime ________, therefore I’m gonna rank Ngannou above them” rather than any sort of metric that has some objectivity. To me, if we’re not ranking fighters by resume and accomplishments then how should we rank them? Just by using our imaginations?

Any place you rank him is going to have to be from running simulators in your head, because he doesn't have a comparable level of competition.

Actually he likely has stronger competition compared to the past, since the sport is much more popular right now + pays more.

If people think the level in wrestling is currently lower, it might be because the UFC is biased against wrestlers (boring show to them).

But overall, current HW are better athletes than those from the past.

A young + niche sport + lower salaries = can't attract better athletes.

This is a rational explanation, everything else is just nostalgia...

the sport is much more popular right now

One direct evidence of this is that you have much more nationalities right now.

During the Pride FC era, it was basically american + brazilian + russian + japanese.

Today you have people from all around the world.

Dan Severn

Over 100 wins in MMA, been hit flush probably about 7 or 8 times in over 120 fights.

First UFC champ champ, (tournament and superfight champ). 36 belts won in different MMA orgs. Made MMA debut at 34 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Won the Ultimate Ultimate which had all the greatest fighters and champs in UFC history in.

what do you mean whats wrong with sherdog? I think you're just the new MTV Twitter crowd and are clueless on the history of the sport I'm afraid. clueless lol.
He is a pioneer, who had the advantage to be the first tall and strong wrestler in MMA in an area without weight limit. Most of his fights were quite boring and mostly consisted of lay and pray. Put him in his prime vs any of today's top 10 Heavyweights and he would get destroyed.

Back