• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where are the talented heavyweights

fat-golfer.jpg
American hero Jon Daly.

Guys that size are making way more money in sports that don't need them to risk CTE and hand fractures
Gable Steveson for example, could've fought at HQ, but took the WWE money over the UFC.

Let me guess, Francis is the GOAT with under 20 fights? Or will it be Ciryl if he wins?

Or maybe Fedor can have a staring contest with Derrick Lewis.

<36>
Is there anything I mentioned that said either of those? I've been watching MMA for almost 18 years, not just browsing I just said Fedor should rematch & he wants the rematch against Bader. Damn YouTube Fedor highlight fans getting butthurt about everything.
<36>

Last edited:
Is there anything I mentioned that said either of those? I've been watching MMA for almost 18 years, not just browsing I just said Fedor should rematch & he wants the rematch against Bader. Damn YouTube Fedor highlight fans getting butthurt about everything.
<36>

Ah yes, the join date argument is employed when you get called out for a stupid post.

Congrats on those 18 years little one. It's not that impressive though.

<36><GrassoBless>

Ah yes, the join date argument is employed when you get called out for a stupid post.

Congrats on those 18 years little one. It's not that impressive though.

<36><GrassoBless>
What is the stupid post? I don't understand. I simply said
"Yeah, Fedor needs to rematch Bader at least, before he retires getting knocked down & legs flying up like a cartoon, FOOK!"
Fedor also called out Bader for a rematch according to Scott Coker. Would you not want to see this fight? I would, that was a crappy loss to Fedor.

I'm not too sure why you are so defensive & butthurt. Lol, have a good one! I am impressed by your post count though, holy shit!

Maybe the big dudes who have competed in wrestling / judo / sambo / kickboxing all their life have a higher toll on their body, usually more concussions because sparring with bigger guys and probably alot of knee issues for those dudes, just a guess.

What is the stupid post? I don't understand. I simply said
"Yeah, Fedor needs to rematch Bader at least, before he retires getting knocked down & legs flying up like a cartoon, FOOK!"
Fedor also called out Bader for a rematch according to Scott Coker. Would you not want to see this fight? I would, that was a crappy loss to Fedor.

I'm not too sure why you are so defensive & butthurt. Lol, have a good one! I am impressed by your post count, holy shit!

I'm well aware you don't understand why you're a twit. That's why it's funny.

<36>

"I've been watching for 18 years. I'm a legend of humanity"

Thanks Alexa. I look forward to more insecurity about Sherdog posts. Sweet dreams little one.

<GrassoBless>

This is what made PRIDE so special. Full of life long martial artists. Highly accomplished combat athletes

Fedor Emelianenko - World Combat Sambo Champion 4x, Russian National Judo Team, trained kickboxing with world class Dutch strikers, boxing since childhood

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - BJJ Black belt, Judo black belt, trained boxing with Cuban National Team

Mirko Cro Cop - one of the top Kickboxers in the world, over 40 boxing matches, trained BJJ with Werdum, karate and Tae Kwon Do training

Josh Barnett - one of the top Catch wrestlers in the world, IBJJF World No Gi Champ, ADCC vet, amateur wrestling experience, Judo and Kickboxing training at a young age

Sergei Kharitonov - Could have entered Olympics in Boxing but chose to enter PRIDE Grand Prix instead, Asian Championships Silver Medalist in Boxing, silver Medalist in Russian Championship, Sambo training, Russian Military Hand to Hand Combat training, professional Kickboxer, some freestyle wrestling training

Fabricio Werdum - World Jiu Jitsu Champion, ADCC Champion, trained striking with Cro Cop and later Rafael Cordeiro

Aleksandr Emelianenko - World Combat Sambo Champion, training since childhood in boxing, Sambo, Judo, wrestling

Mark Coleman - Olympic Wrestler, NCAA national champion, Pan Am and National Champ

Kevin Randleman - NCAA National Champion in wrestling 2x

Mark Hunt - one of the top kickboxers in the world

Hidehiko Yoshida - Olympic Gold Medalist in Judo

Noaya Ogawa - Olympic Silver Medalist in Judo

Ron Waterman - College Wrestler, High School wrestling coach of Shane Carwin

Tom Erikson - NCAA All American Wrestler, 2x Junior College National Champion

Mark Kerr - NCAA National Wrestling Champion, Freestyle Wrestling National Champion, ADCC Champion

Heath Herring - Wrestler, Sambo training, moved to Holland to train with Dutch strikers

Igor Vovchanchyn - Over 70 kickboxing fights on top of 60+ NHB fights, Sambo training

Semmy Schilt - one of the top Kickboxers in the world, K1 Grand Prix Champion, Karate training since child

Kazuyuki Fujita - National Wrestling Champion in Greco, missed making Olympic team by 1 point at Olympic qualifiers, Freestyle Wrestling

Alistair Overeem - pro Kickboxer, ADCC Europe trials winner, Judo training

There were also some very skilled fighters in the UFC at the time like Couture, Mir, Ricco, Arlovski. Not too many current UFC Heavyweights have these types of backgrounds. Those that do dominated in recent memory like DC (Olympic Wrestling team captain) and Stipe (NCAA wrestler and Golden Gloves boxer)

Athletic, coordinated, in shape athletes that walk around at 230lb+ pounds are just extremely rare. For the ones that do exist, and if they're born in North America, they're primarily playing football and/or basketball. The talent pool at HW will just never be as deep as the lighter divisions, especially with all of the extreme weight cutting going on today.
Also note that there are WAY less men that maintain that size with USADA around.

I am 6'3 currently about 220, 210 in beach shape or as close as I get at 42. I was a HS & college athlete and I have partaken in the sauce, the horsemeat, the juice...

On gear I was able to get up to a shredded 228. Electrode BF% tested at 6%. (not saying that is an accurate test, but I was definitely sub 10%)

It is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE to maintain that much mass clean, and in shape with decent cardio.

And even at that size I could have cut to 205.

Now sure, you have your 6'4, 6'5, 6'6+ guys, but you are getting pretty far into the far end of the bell curve and within the small subset:

How many are legitimately talented athletes?

Of those, who would even WANT to be a cagefighter?

salary1.png

in the nfl,they dont have to beg there boss for more money

Like what?

Powerlifting? Neck injuries and back injuries (also have to take PED´s to be top level and heal)

Strongmen? Neck injuries and back injuries (also have to take PED´s to be top level and heal)

Rugby = CTE, cuts and broken bones. Bad cuts happen due to no pads

American football = CTE if a defensive or offensive line player or a hittable reciever. Also an eventual blown knee, back injuries are also common for players who take hits. Only safe positions are kicker, QB in theory, and some special teams runners, punter, and place holder,

HW Boxing= EVEN MORE CTE than MMA

HW Kickboxing= MORE CTE than MMA but less than Boxing (due to more Tko finishes to the body or legs, or leg injuries)

Valid points, but i’d like to add that the risk factor of extreme beatings you can take in a short span in MMA is way greater that in any of the sports you enumerated.

Take Rugby for e.g: you can ride out a mediocre career and make good money, and be set for life with decent investments of your money.

Loose your first 3-4 fights in MMA in brutal fashion, and you’re out of the game, and most likely injured for life.

Last edited:
Back