When you're rooting for holloway,

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
but don't like his chances. I have bashed the rematch to hell and back. Simply because I like order, meritocracy and I hate favoritism even if it's my guy being favored. Also I think the rematch is in bad faith. But max is my favourite 45er by far and I am rooting for him. But what are the chances that he actually finds a way around volk's kicks, doesn't get hit with something sneaky, doesn't get smeshed? There are so many ways this could go badly. I mean improvements were covered already in another thread. I personally think taking initiative and actually doing the kicking himself in addition to good low kick defence and more diversity in his strikes is important. But what advantages does max hold over volk?

Some fighters just aren't good at checking low kicks and Max is one of them. If his legs get chewed up again in the first couple of rounds he's not going to be able to push the pace and drown his opponents with punches like he usually does.

I also think Volk is the one who can make more adjustments for this rematch than Max too. I can see Volk grappling more, especially against with the smaller cage to steal rounds. City kickboxing definitely has their shit together and that's got to he a huge factor as well. Who does Max even train with that is high level?

i don't mind the rematch. Max literally beat the entire FW division before getting his title shot and then had to beat Aldo twice, once in Brazil before he finally got his just deserve.

Max can beat anyone at 145lbs, make Volk work and get him tired. everybody is worse when they're tired. people can have all the skills in the world but if have a big heart and better cardio, you can beat anyone.

Being from Hawaii I’m predetermined to like Max and root for him no matter what...
However I don’t believe he wins a rematch with Volk. He’s got the grappling to threaten Max and isn’t afraid to step in against him, which as a lanky striker will cancel a lot of Max’s combos. I feel Max has gotten a little complacent at his time at the top and has let his skill stagnate.

He needs to fight at a higher pace than he did last time imo, I have no idea if it'll work, but if he tries to overwhelm him with volume and combinations like he did to Ortega it might.

Then again it might get him countered all night.
lol @ anyone "overwhelming" Volk

Volk is not Ortega

lol @ anyone "overwhelming" Volk

Volk is not Ortega
But he is right.. If Max changes his game and tries to put pressure on Volk, he has a chance. He has to put Volk on his back foot, to avoid hard leg kicks and avoid Volkanovski dictating the pace. If he fights the same fight as last time, he will defenitely lose

Think anyone with over 5 title defenses deserves an instant rematch. Max didn't have that but A)he did have 13 wins in a row in the division and B)the first fight was competitive. I don't think he has a chance either but I don't think there's anyone at 145 who deserves the shot more.

I think Max deserved it IMO. Even though it wasn't close Max was game to fight anyone and cleared out the division before getting a title shot. Should have got one a lot sooner. Also there are a few fights that need to happen before determining another contender. IMO Zabit hasn't gotten the win he needs to deserve one so him and Yair is a good match. Personally I think Ortega KZ winner should fight for the title. Both have a very good resume and especially if KZ wins that should give him a shot.

For Zabit I'm not saying beating Katar wasn't impressive but if that had been 5 rounds like it should have he loses that fight. I say give him Yair for 5rds first. Zabit hasn't looked great since he's gotten better competition where KZ and Ortega have shined against top guys where Zabit has fallen flat.

but don't like his chances. I have bashed the rematch to hell and back. Simply because I like order, meritocracy and I hate favoritism even if it's my guy being favored. Also I think the rematch is in bad faith. But max is my favourite 45er by far and I am rooting for him. But what are the chances that he actually finds a way around volk's kicks, doesn't get hit with something sneaky, doesn't get smeshed? There are so many ways this could go badly. I mean improvements were covered already in another thread. I personally think taking initiative and actually doing the kicking himself in addition to good low kick defence and more diversity in his strikes is important. But what advantages does max hold over volk?
Max shouldn't have taken the rematch. He needs time to work on leg kick defense and varying his offense. His volume attack, cardio and toughness are great but he needs better overall defense, work grappling into his attack (even as a diversion) and work on using leg kicks in his offense. I don't think he had enough time. He's very good but too predictable at this point. I say Volk wins and probably easier than last time. The Blessed Express needs some time in the shop to be worked on.

I think this is a very tough fight for Max. Volkanovski kept an even pace for 4 rounds in the first fight, and slowed a little in the fifth, so relying on him gassing can't be plan A.

The low kicks have to be addressed, either check them early and often and put Volk off or close the distance and really really crowd him. Option A is more likely, option B is way more dangerous for Max and probably doesn't lead to a winnable fight for him either.

I think it's just a tough style match up for Max, and a very tricky fight.

Back