• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When you think about it, New York should be churning out more MMA pros.

Mystic Mac Miller

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After California, Texas, and Florida, it is the most populated state in the country.

The culture of NYC and the areas around it claims to be gritty and tough.

Sure it has given the world the likes of Jon Jones and a handful of other fighters but a state its size should be churning more way more MMA pros and MMA fighters than it is right now. Yet all it has representing its MMA scenes are a bunch of annoying Guidos on Long Island.

For those unfamiliar with history, Long Island is a suburb where all the former residents scared of life in the 5 boroughs moved to so in other words, descendants of cowards.

You’d think that the Northeast would be ripe with prime talent, but that isn’t the case. Speaking as someone oiginally being from NJ, it doesn’t really surprise me, the cost of living is so ridiculous that people barely scrape by. As a byproduct it’s difficult for gyms to stay open, let alone people pay the costly memberships. Well, that’s my theory anyway.

After California, Texas, and Florida, it is the most populated state in the country.

Sure it has given the world the likes of Jon Jones and a handful of other fighters but a state its size should be churning more way more MMA pros and MMA fighters than it is right now. Yet all it has representing its MMA scenes are a bunch of annoying Guidos on Long Island.

For those unfamiliar with history, Long Island is a suburb where all the former residents scared of life in the 5 boroughs moved to so in other words, descendants of cowards.
Isn't that the place where people just watch innocent people get attacked on Subways, Streets etc... and do do anything to actually intervene?

It's still more into boxing I guess. Though NYC has plenty of BJJ gyms including the one Danaher works at. But I don't think NYS is known for wrestling teams?

Its very expensive to train here,and theres more boxers than anything else

Most of the guys cross training here have to be rich

"Bunch of annoying guidos on Long Island."
pete-sell-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

In fairness though, Aljo and Weidman are pretty good. Are you putting Matt Serra in the annoying Guido column?

NYC hasn't been "tough" and "gritty" for like 30 years. Now Boston is some place I'd expect to see more talent come out of. They're supposed to be a big fight city

Long Island is boring but its way better in living in NYC and smelling shit and piss every time you walk out your door. not to mention less expensive. i never understood why everyone wanted to move out there when i was growing up, but its probably a grass is greener type of mentality. a lot of people who i knew who did move to NYC moved out within 5 years. its just not sustainable if you are a young person and want property, a family, to build savings, etc.
SOURCE: I grew up in LI and have been to NYC more times than i can count. also lost my shit when Weidman beat Anderson the first time!

New York State is awesome its just a shame that it gets taxed like NYC does....NYC should be a district and leave the rest of the state alone.
goddamn right, NYC needs to be its own thing so the rest of the state can do what it wants/needs without worrying about Gotham.

The whole legalization thing probably hampered it quite a bit

This. Shit took forever and probably lead to a lot of fighters & gyms moving out of the state. I know that there were still gyms here, but the top level ones have all been out of the state. I can't think of a single top tier fighter based in NY ever besides the Serra-Longo camp.

NY gave us some of the biggest upsets ever...
Serra over GSP, teh Chris over Anderson, Aljo over Yan... If only Raging Al could have upset Bibby Nurms.

Damn right, NYC needs to be its own thing so the rest of the state can do what it wants/needs without worrying about Gotham.

I'm in a different state, so no real dog in the fight, but I assume upstate would be ok with forgoing all the tax revenue that comes out of NYC, right?

Back