When you first start out, jiu-jitsu is like a set of stairs and you're at the bottom

jasond

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"When you first start out, jiu-jitsu is like a set of stairs and you're at the bottom. You're focused on the top step and all you can think about is, 'man! it's going to take forever to get up there'.

Years later after walking countless steps upward, it's more like a series of forking paths. You're no longer worried about the top step. Instead, you're fascinated by each new path and direction you get to explore in your journey. The focus shifts from the destination onto enjoying the journey along the way."

I read this quote (at least a paraphrase of it) in a woodworking book earlier today. I changed the context to jiu-jitsu because it fits perfectly. Nothing groundbreaking, I know; just something that caught my attention. I guess it's one of those things that happens without really thinking about it.

If I don't, someone will beat me to it:

Cool_story_bro.jpeg

But really, woodworking - serious carpenter, or a hobbyist? Maybe it's because I hardly know anything about the craft, but it seems like this quote isn't exactly "perfect" for woodworking; seems to function much better in the context of a hierarchical or competitive sport.

PS - this is really what jiu jitsu is like:

So you're saying that BJJ is like a n extremely fucked up flight of steps?

I imagine BJJ like a pyramide turned upside down, longer I train longer I will traing :D

Jiu jitsu is more like several flights of stairs from which you start at the very top and proceed to intentionally fall down, until you've injured just about every joint you have.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about jiu-jitsu is why it is so hard for people to understand why someone who has been training a lot longer than they have, is a lot better at it than they are.

What I don't understand about jiu-jitsu is why it is so hard for people to understand why someone who has been training a lot longer than they have, is a lot better at it than they are.

Maybe because they see the experts and see how easily and fluidly the experts do it and think it's easier than it looks

I prefer:

BJJ is like the English language. Simple principles are equal to Letters. Basic techniques are equal to words. linking the techniques in a chain is like phrases. As you progress in your training you move from phrases to sentences to paragraphs to wonderful works of art. -adapted from Ed Parker

"When you first start out, jiu-jitsu is like a set of stairs and you're at the bottom. You're focused on the top step and all you can think about is, 'man! it's going to take forever to get up there'.

Years later after walking countless steps upward, it's more like a series of forking paths. You're no longer worried about the top step. Instead, you're fascinated by each new path and direction you get to explore in your journey. The focus shifts from the destination onto enjoying the journey along the way."

I think this is accurate and it seems like the minutiae (individual steps) are more and more the focus as you get to a higher level. As you stop focusing on the "destination" of blackbelt or whatever, you lose perception of and interest in how fast you're moving toward your destination. You're just enjoying and concentrating on the climb. This explains the following post from another thread by a new blackbelt. Apparently he was focusing his attention where it should have been (on day to day progression) for a long time...

LOL It's not that I didn't see it coming... You just don't know when it's actually gonna hit you! It was kinda like that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when Lancelot is running at the castle from a long ways away, then it cuts to the guards standing at the entrance unconcerned, cuts back to the knight running, but they are no closer... back and forth until all of a sudden the knight is there cutting down one of the guards, the other guard takes a while to even realize what is going on. That was me!

I prefer:

BJJ is like the English language. Simple principles are equal to Letters. Basic techniques are equal to words. linking the techniques in a chain is like phrases. As you progress in your training you move from phrases to sentences to paragraphs to wonderful works of art. -adapted from Ed Parker

that is a great way to put it

Jiu jitsu is more like several flight of stairs from which you start at the very top and proceed to intentionally fall down, until you've injured just about every joint you have.

Hahaha I love it.

Back