When will grappling come to me??

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
I have gone to a total of about 4 sessions of BJJ and one of Judo. And I have also done a little bit of work with my friends. I know this is next to nothing, but I just cannot get my mind to think and work to set up moves. Will this come in time? All my body wants to do is muscle the other guy down and try and get a mount using muscle. Does it take time for your brain to be able to see and setup up moves? If so what should I work on for now??? Find one move I can do and try and work on it over and over again?

Definetly give it time use your strength to force him into submission.

You have to larn the moves and transitions first. It will come in time that you develop the instinct.

I will say practice, practice, practice man, during class focus on techniques and when you role just forcus on that technique you learned in class.

Man, thats natural. Before I ever started real instructed grappling, my first moves were to experience the movement of grappling. Try this exercise.

1. Have your partner take guard.
2. You pass his guard to side mount.
3. Take your knee onto his belly.
4. Take full mount.
5. Have your partner roll and you take his back with you on the bottom.
6. Then, have him roll again so he is in your guard.
7. Now repeat the process, but this time you are on bottom.

This may sound really silly, but I promise it will help you understand the transition of submission grappling. Go light at first, and then add in a little force, but allow each other to gain position. Now, the most important part of this drill is to stay calm. Think of ways of how to position yourself and your limbs to isolate his so you can easily move into the next position. After this, work on simple submissions like kimuras from each position.

Don't sweat it, man, jiu-jitsu is a sport that takes time. Repition is the only way to build muscle memory. You'll experience times when it seems like everything is clicking-others when it seems like you can do nothing right. Once you achieve a measure of success, it will enlighten you to how much you still have yet to learn.

It is like playing the piano. At first it is very hard and sloppy. After repeating the basic moves for an enternity they eventually get hard wired into your brain. Then you can concentrate more on strategy rather than regular movement. It takes practice practice practice.

Watch some instructionals and practice the basics(escapes, positioning, etc). Drill them then practice them while rolling. Forget trying to submit ppl, just work your positioning. Start off in bad positions so you will have ur ego in check. Then if he submits you, u don't fret about it too much becuz u think to urself "I gave it to you"

Mat time is the most important thing for you right now. Watch tapes, read magazines, look at highlight dvds - eventually you wont be able to stop thinking about setups for everything from sweeps to submissions - It gets addictive you just have to give it a while.

Patience, young grasshoppa...
Just keep waxing Mr. Miyagi's cars, sanding his floor, painting the house/fence, and in time you will realize that you ARE learning what you WANT to learn...
JUST DON'T QUIT

you should have it by tomorrow...jk keep working hard...its a journey, not a destination

Just keep going to classes. You haven't trained enough times to really need to worry about any of this. Just put in more mat time. Show up to class earlier, stay focused on the instruction, and stay late to drill more. There are no free passes.

On average it takes two years to recieve a blue belt. That should tell you it takes time to get good. In three or four months you will be surprised at how much you learned.

4-6 months..your instincts will get alot better

patience, patience youre not gonna learn this in one day, gonna have to take your lumps like everyone else, keep going , keep traning, read about it , watch videos , talk about it with others that train, train train then train some more, you gotta eat sleep breathe this art if you want to be proficent

if you have someone to train with, drill alot. Don't roll as much, just drill.

I like to tell beginners keep at it for about 9 months and you will be the one tossing around the new guys.

Just do a lot of drills. Do armbar drills, triangle drills, kimura drills, and work on proper technique. Don't worry about how fast you can lock it up or how strong you can crank it, just concentrate on your technique. Eventually, you'll start working in combination drills like kimura to guillotine, armbar to omoplata, triangle to omoplata, etc.

Keep practicing, keep drilling, and [IMO one of the most important things early] ask questions. Some people may think that because they're new everybody looks down on them and is snickering behind their backs, but if you ask the more experienced guys around you [not necessarily the instructor] they'll be more than happy to help. You can also try to roll with the more experienced guys so you can learn things and have them give you tips in the heat of battle.

It will take time. If it was easy, we'd all be black belts :icon_chee

Back