When They Came To Fight (Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler)

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Match: Nick Diaz (8-2-1) vs Robbie Lawler (8-1)
Event: UFC 47 (4-2-2004)

Considered the rising star of the Welterweight Division, Robbie Lawler's only loss was to Pete Spratt, which was due to Lawler's hip injury. Lawler technically did not suffer an actual defeat in MMA. A pure striker, with arguably the most explosive hands, this side of Vitor Belfort. Defeating the likes of Chris Lytle, Tiki Goshen and Steve Berger. All formidable opponent with 6 of his 8 wins by way of KO/TKO.

Nick Diaz was coming from a different angle, yet he also bragged about his slow methodical boxing. Nowhere near as explosive as Lawler, but far more rounded in skill, as Diaz was an accomplished BJJ practitioner under the famous Cesar Gracie. Diaz himself was also another star in the Welterweight Division in which he witnessed his UFC debut at UFC 44 winning by armbar over Jeremy Jackson. This was Diaz second UFC match.

The match itself was exciting due to the two volatile personalities who would clash right away as Diaz takes center ring almost immediately with Lawler waiting to land which leads up to a fantastic, unpredictable finish.

Note: No sound recorded in 2nd Round

I watched the dvd from that event sooooo many times. That fight, Chuck v Tito and Arlovski shredding Cabbage all stick.

Any reason you found a video with no audio round 2, as opposed to a different video, with audio?

These guys were two of the toughest fighters in ufc history with some of the best offense. It was better back in the day though when people just acted like themselves instead of manufacturing personalities to get attention. These guys both are entertaining personalities in their own way and they are both nuts.

It's pretty crazy to think that there was never a rematch. I mean that's a fight that people would want to see at any weight class at any time that these guys were both active. But the stars never aligned in either Strikeforce or UFC.

It's pretty crazy to think that there was never a rematch. I mean that's a fight that people would want to see at any weight class at any time that these guys were both active. But the stars never aligned in either Strikeforce or UFC.

I always wondered why Robbie didn't drop down to WW for good after he fought Evan Tanner. I just never saw the need for him to be in that division where he wasn't very big at all, and could be knocking off the heads of men who didn't dwarf him.

Then again, SF didn't have a bunch of Costa-Romero monster breeds, and the closest Robbie ever faced was Manleadwithhanddownhoef.

"I think robbie thinks he's a little better than he is"

Nick Diaz

I got this on PPV and threw a keg party for it. I loved Robbie Lawler (Aaron Riley/Lawler was sick, same with Lytle fight). The ppv was on and we had all started drinking early (small farm town) and I bought every ppv so we had already seen Nick Diaz and knew (or thought) he was just some bjj guy. We were watching the interviews they used to have, the build up stuff right before the fight, and Nick was like..i'm the better boxer, i'm gonna knock him out standing and we all laughed, like, this dudes full of shit, we know he's going to go for the td. Lawler's gonna kill this kid.

First round was crazy and Nick stood his ground and peppered from the outside, Lawler looked flustered and exploded here or there but we thought he was like waiting or something. Man, when Diaz caught him with that counter right hook and Lawler dropped for a second, got up, then stumbled back against the cage after the ref called it I was like holy shit, bjj guy can box. It was really a cool upset tbh, we were all shocked. The unpredictability of mma really is one of the reasons it's such a captivating sport and I remember that fight itself taught me to not expect a fight to turn out a certain way.

Any reason you found a video with no audio round 2, as opposed to a different video, with audio?

Its hard to find in whole, without the obvious video edits.

I got this on PPV and threw a keg party for it. I loved Robbie Lawler (Aaron Riley/Lawler was sick, same with Lytle fight). The ppv was on and we had all started drinking early (small farm town) and I bought every ppv so we had already seen Nick Diaz and knew (or thought) he was just some bjj guy. We were watching the interviews they used to have, the build up stuff right before the fight, and Nick was like..i'm the better boxer, i'm gonna knock him out standing and we all laughed, like, this dudes full of shit, we know he's going to go for the td. Lawler's gonna kill this kid.

First round was crazy and Nick stood his ground and peppered from the outside, Lawler looked flustered and exploded here or there but we thought he was like waiting or something. Man, when Diaz caught him with that counter right hook and Lawler dropped for a second, got up, then stumbled back against the cage after the ref called it I was like holy shit, bjj guy can box. It was really a cool upset tbh, we were all shocked. The unpredictability of mma really is one of the reasons it's such a captivating sport and I remember that fight itself taught me to not expect a fight to turn out a certain way.
Epic post sir

Absolute two legends of the sport. But Nick cheated a little bit and smoked some bud before he fought Robbie. That creates a situational awareness where it enhances your senses and movements. - Broad Blade

Nick was such a beast. That guy was always entertaining. I wish he would turn his current personal life around. He wasted his best years partying when he was never that dude originally.

This fight was shocking to me because I thought Nick was a fool to stand with Lawler. This was before I knew about his boxing skills.

Good old Rogaine...

30 secs into round one, a glancing blow that barely touches Diaz.

"OHHHHHHHH DIAZ IS ROCKED, DIAZ IS ROCKED."

He's so bad at his job, can't wait until Rogaine is replaced by SAS.

Good old Rogaine...

30 secs into round one, a glancing blow that barely touches Diaz.

"OHHHHHHHH DIAZ IS ROCKED, DIAZ IS ROCKED."

He's so bad at his job, can't wait until Rogaine is replaced by SAS.
I recall something aling the lines of Yeah, you think you're kicking his ass and whatever, but Robbie can put you to sleep! (And more bias, when Nick clearly had the edge - despite pointing out that maybe he was right about Robbie thinking he was better than he actually was)

Back