Media When someone says that he trained ZERO wrestling for an opponent like Chandler...

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score

Quote from the comment:
" I didn't work any wrestling for this fight because I was OK with my jiu jitsu"

ANY WRESTLING!
AGAINST CHANDLER!
BECAUSE JIU JITSU

What is this?
I don't even.

To be fair, considering Primus injury-rate, if he had trained wrestling he would never have made it to the fight to begin with.

To be fair, considering Primus injury-rate, if he had trained wrestling he would never have made it to the fight to begin with.

Yeah, these injuries made him one of the longest holders of the title at Bellator LW.
Brooks held it for the same time and defended twice

I mean, it’s a fair thought. No amount of work was gonna get his wrestling to the point where it was competitive with Chandler, so why waste the time and injury possibility?

I mean, it’s a fair thought. No amount of work was gonna get his wrestling to the point where it was competitive with Chandler, so why waste the time and injury possibility?

Let me extrapolate your line of thought:

no amount of work was gonna get his wrestling to the point where it was competitive with Chandler ----> no amount of work was gonna change the outcome of the fight ----> so why waste the time and injury possibility for a training camp?---> so why waste the time and injury possibility for even accepting the fight in the first place?

no amount of work was gonna get his wrestling to the point where it was competitive with Chandler ----> no amount of work was gonna change the outcome of the fight ----> so why waste the time and injury possibility for a training camp?---> so why waste the time and injury possibility for even accepting the fight in the first place?

No, you’re exaggerating to be pedantic.

my point was; why spend three months (for example) working on takedown defense (for example), when you understand how dangerous your opponents takedowns are and how unlikely it is that a few months of extra work will make a huge difference in your ability to stop them. So, instead, of you are confident your BJJ is elite enough to win on the ground, spend your time and focus and energy on refining your bjj skills for the fight and probably inevitable time the fight is on the ground. It’s simply prioritizing to make your fight camp, and the fight itself, more efficient

I got to say I agree with you he's a young guy and was overconfident in his jiu jitsu I just don't understand how guys do have this attitude he'll even some of the guys from UFC 1 understood this fact and they could have been with what they had to work with. Pat Smith talented kickboxing developed a good submission game for his time. Ken Shamrock developed okay boxing Royce many years later tried to develop his Thai boxing I wouldn't say any one of these guys are experts but they took the time to develop their skills as a martial artists

my point was; why spend three months (for example) working on takedown defense (for example), when you understand how dangerous your opponents takedowns are and how unlikely it is that a few months of extra work will make a huge difference in your ability to stop them. So, instead, of you are confident your BJJ is elite enough to win on the ground, spend your time and focus and energy on refining your bjj skills for the fight and probably inevitable time the fight is on the ground. It’s simply prioritizing to make your fight camp, and the fight itself, more efficient

It wasn't efficient and even he himself admits it.
On the other hand, if you believe in your standup, then a couple of timely stuffed takedowns can bring you a time to apply it. BJJ...if he actually believed that he's able to submit Chandler, or capitalize on his mistake and reverse the position, that's a huge delusion

I got to say I agree with you he's a young guy and was overconfident in his jiu jitsu I just don't understand how guys do have this attitude he'll even some of the guys from UFC 1 understood this fact and they could have been with what they had to work with. Pat Smith talented kickboxing developed a good submission game for his time. Ken Shamrock developed okay boxing Royce many years later tried to develop his Thai boxing I wouldn't say any one of these guys are experts but they took the time to develop their skills as a martial artists

That's why it's "mixed" martial arts :)

If you think that your opponent is so superiour in a specific area that you don't even bother training it because it won't make a difference, you've already lost the fight. Especially when it comes to wrestling which is #1 in MMA.

He didn't seem to train getting back to his feet after being taken down either.

Back