When should submissions be released/relaxed?

nhbfan8080

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Theres not alot to go on from the unified rules (section 15 Fouls) :

xxii. Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
xxiii. Attacking an opponent on or during the break
xxiv. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee

Commonsense tells me that it right to relax the hold (if not release it completely) when the opponent taps whether or not the referee jumps in. To keep going when an opponent taps is unsportsmanlike conduct.
Chokes in all likelyhood would not end someones career but leglocks are dangerous in that matter.

Should the UFC institute more rules on how to deal with submissions by being more explicit on when holds should be relaxed, possibly deal with leglocks in particular. Possibly rules on video replay decisions and dealing with fake taps.

814119262.gif

From the above pic, you can see Palhares arms flexing from cranking the submission until the referee jumps in, and the tapping did not make any difference.

It's an unfair world sometimes your on the good side of it sometimes your not

when an opponent taps, its then on the ref to see it and intervene if needed. But everyone knows a tap is the normal way of letting your opponent know youre done..... anyone who continues afterwards is just a dick

When the opponent taps? Uhhh ... Duh.

Chael Sonnen phantom taps would be more prevalent if fighters were to release a sub when they felt, or thought they felt a tap.

I think the ref needs to be the one to stop it, but in really dangerous subs like heel hooks you should show a little more caution.

The right time is when he taps. Problem is that fighters sometimes fake the tap in order to get the guy to let go.

You can't say "when the guy taps" because of the Akira Corisani's of the world. It's when the ref taps.

jhsdfjklasdf actually you know what... I dont know any more.. the ref actually released the hold by pushing his head up on the cranking arm?

na you know what... it is a bad cut. that was a completely normal stoppage. just bullshit. dont care what anyone says.

The ref went to the wrong fighter and the pushed, which makes it appear that Palhares (sp) cranked the sub. IMO cutting him is wrong.

when an opponent taps, its then on the ref to see it and intervene if needed. But everyone knows a tap is the normal way of letting your opponent know youre done..... anyone who continues afterwards is just a dick

Theres 2 problems. Tapping from a leglock is different since serious damage can happen if the hold is not released. And a referee might take too long to stop the fight.

Again from the pic in my OP, Palhares kept cranking and you can see his arms flexing despite the taps.

Back