when should a loss raise a fighter’s stock?

If you’re asking moreso what ought to be instead of what fights actually rose the stocks…

Romero v Whittaker 2

Max v volk 2

Sandhagen v TJ

Joanna v Zhang

For me personally: Oliveira v arman and Conor v Dustin 3

Tito vs Chuck II

Even though he lost, Tito gave everything he had in this one, and managed to do much better than the first time.

For me..

1. A competitive fight against someone they’re an underdog against. It shows they’re not as low level as previously thought and opinions will strengthen of them.

2. A barn burner fight of the night type fight where the fans win more than someone loses. We love crowd pleasers and if you’re not showing you’re a title threat yet or even a top 10 guy, being a crowd pleaser definitely helps in Dana’s and the fans eyes.

For me what doesn’t necessarily help.. Going the distance. That moral victory stuff gets old. Back when I liked to grapple, it would annoy me when someone would just shell up and go into defensive mode trying to get that “well at least I didn’t get finished!” moral victory. It’s not easy to finish someone that doesn’t give you any avenue and just goes all defense trying to wait the match up out instead of taking a single risk to get the upper hand. I’m not saying everyone does it, but you definitely can tell when they are. It’s just wasting every one’s time and money knowing you’re not even trying. I don’t give someone credit for just shelling up stalling out the clock when there’s still a lot of time left. It makes their stock go down IMO.

Tito vs Chuck II

Even though he lost, Tito gave everything he had in this one, and managed to do much better than the first time.

Actually very fair point.. He even edged the second round if I recall correctly. Worst style match up for him, but he left it all out there. Not bad for a guy who got highlight reel finished in the first one in a fight many people believed he was dodging for a while.

Reactions: HHJ
I would say Erceg stock rose alot but his IQ tho........

Usman vs Chimaev (also it was a robbery, Usman deserved a draw for winning R2+R3)

When no one gives a crap about them, then almost wins, wether is a short notice or just plain "mismatch" on paper.

I would say Erceg stock rose alot but his IQ tho........
It was an IQ mistake for sure, but Pantoja is a guy with that 5 round experience, he's gone all 5 rounds in title fights twice before and this was his 15th UFC fight, whereas for Erceg it was his 4th UFC fight ever. Definitely Pantoja had the edge in staying collected and fighting strategically in the 5th round

When a fighter puts up an unexpectedly strong effort against an opponent that was considered far above them or if it’s under circumstances that are clearly not in their favor such as short notice or in a different weight class.

It was an IQ mistake for sure, but Pantoja is a guy with that 5 round experience, he's gone all 5 rounds in title fights twice before and this was his 15th UFC fight, whereas for Erceg it was his 4th UFC fight ever. Definitely Pantoja had the edge in staying collected and fighting strategically in the 5th round
If Erceg never goes for that dumb take down he has a really good chsnce of winning the belt given how it was scored on 2 cards. Pants was fading more thsn Erceg in cardio Erceg just gifted the 5th td to him for whatever reason.

Alexander Gustafssons arguably greatest achievements in the sport are his two narrow losses to Jones and DC

Reactions: lsa
You insinuated it, you twit

No, I didnt - nothing I said in that post insinuated someone needed to go on to be the best ever to do it. The problem here is you can't stand that someone else has a different opinion than you. You want validation not opinions. The question was asked 'when should a loss raise a fighters stock' My opinion is that is 'never should'. It's a singular moment and at the end of the day its a loss. Moral victories do not exist IMO. again - IMO meaning IN MY OPINION. And I gave examples and attempted to explain the reasoning in my opinion. Ya know what I didnt do? Act like a fucking twat on the internet because someone else thinks differently than me in some weird attempt to start an argument or make your opinion more valid than mine - or whatever the fuck it is that your trying to do.

It never should. Ever. Putting up a fight or making the bell shouldn't get you credit for anything. Either you win or you lose. Period.
Dumb opinion is dumb.

When a massive underdog loses a close decision, that should raise the losers' stock and lower the winners' stock.

It never should. Ever. Putting up a fight or making the bell shouldn't get you credit for anything. Either you win or you lose. Period.
bad opinion. you can win and have your value go down. you can lose and have your value go up. it's not a hard concept to understand.

Reactions: lsa
Dumb opinion is dumb.

When a massive underdog loses a close decision, that should raise the losers' stock and lower the winners' stock.

No, it shouldnt, because losing is losing. The only stock raised is in the eyes of dip shit fans. Who's - and let me include myself in here - opinions dont matter. If you lose, you lose.

When a fighter performs well above expectations or shows an aspect of their game that we didn't know was there.

For example, GSP vs Hughes 1, GSP was finished quickly, but it was clear he was defending pretty well, he was comfortable, his offense was working, he put Hughes on his back. Another would be Jones vs Reyes. People got the idea that Reyes was great when in reality it was the start of a 4 fight skid, but Reyes had the fight of his life on a night that Jon was clearly off, and the fans and media alike were prepared to anoint Reyes as the real champ.

No, it shouldnt, because losing is losing. The only stock raised is in the eyes of dip shit fans.

Success in this sport has a lot to do with name recognition (among fans, yes) and careers are short. So yes, a valiant losing effort typically contributes significantly to a fighter’s stock, even more so than an unremarkable victory.

Back