When is the perfect age to start grappling?

Luxemberg**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I ask because one of the students at my BJJ school asked one of the instructors.."When is the best time for someone to start BJJ?"

To my surprise, the instructor said, the ideal age is 16+, but 14 is good also.

Another guy asked why, and my instructor basically replied, because if you start at a young age, the chances of getting injured is high and it will carry on with you through out your adulthood. Starting at a young age (like 5-12) can also burn oneself out in the future, whether its physically or mentally.

I was pretty surprised, because I thought: younger the better, but I guess not. What do you guys think, I mean after all..This is just one opinion?

Probably 15 or 16 is a good age.

But I'd start a prepubescent with judo, makes the transition to BJJ much easier :)

I agree, starting at 5-14 would be pretty grueling. Some of the best grapplers in the world started late though like BJ Penn at 17, Carlos Gracie founder of GJJ at 16, Terrel at 18, Wedum at 18, Shields at 18 etc.

Im currently 15 and i started earlier this year and i think any younger and i would have gotten burnt out . Very different than any other sport ive devoted my time to.

5-6, get a solid judo background then late teens early 20ths BJJ

when stuff begins to really hurt :p

I like the starting with Judo idea. In my mind keep it recreational and fun for a kid early on. Anything before middle school should be a complete game IMO. At 14, 15, 16 they will get the bug on their own because the seed has been planted.

my kids are gonna "wrestle" with me when they start running around and playing. i'll be competing myself and hopefully they wanna follow my path for a bit

Whatever age you are currently is the perfect age to start. That will always be the case.

The Judo idea sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about signing my son up for some Judo classes in about a year or two.

I started wrestling at 4, and the love for combat sports has never left but injuries that still linger can't be ignored(shoulder):icon_sad:.....i still train but I would say exposure,exposure than train in teens

I would say any age is a good age, as long as you're not pushing and forcing your child into doing it. I think that if they are not excited to do it and are not having fun then they shouldn't be doing it. My nephew is 10 and started grappling this year. He likes it, but he is also involved in baseball, basketball, football and karate. I think it's important for a child to get exposure to lots of different activities to both keep them from getting burned out, keep things fun, and develop broad athletic ability.

I would say any age is a good age, as long as you're not pushing and forcing your child into doing it. I think that if they are not excited to do it and are not having fun then they shouldn't be doing it. My nephew is 10 and started grappling this year. He likes it, but he is also involved in baseball, basketball, football and karate. I think it's important for a child to get exposure to lots of different activities to both keep them from getting burned out, keep things fun, and develop broad athletic ability.

I agree with getting your kids invloved in a broad variety of sports. That way they are developing as athletes and having fun, but not getting burned out on a perticular sport. Unless your kid is the rare, really focussed Tiger Woods type. Most kids aren't.

Nice!
I started when I was 15 and now I'm a bluebelt at 16:D

anytime is the perfect age, late teens is good, still growing, but still able to ainpulate your body.

Back