When does a corner become responsible to there fighter

fighter_31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know this thread has been done before but it is always nice to discuss these things after a fight. Erick Silva was out on his feet and was out of the fight in general. A corner knows there fighter best at what point do they protect them. I just feel that Silva's corner did him a little bit of disservice today by letting the fight go as long as it did.

he definitely took too many shots. like you said he was pretty much out on his feet for a long time. was uncomfortable to watch by the 3rd. guy is too tough for his own good. hope he recovers ok.

Yeah Silva basically stopped the fight himself. The corner and ref want to give the fighter every chance to turn it around but I feel like this one was late. It should have at least been stopped when those elbows were hitting with Silva's head against the canvas and he was doing nothing to defend.

They were probably blinded by the hype machine that the UFC was pushing, and thought that a comeback or quick KO was very possible.

If he dies, he dies.

412095243_640.jpg

A boxing corner would have stopped it in the second. Something about MMA culture makes corners think they don't have to protect their fighters.

A boxing corner would have stopped it in the second. Something about MMA culture makes corners think they don't have to protect their fighters.

Mother trucking pride...Marcelus Wallace

I could have sworn I saw the just bleed gods in his corner. They did a great job by letting the fight continue.:icon_twis

It depends on the fighters corner. If they are of same race or country there is an unspoken pride factor of not losing in there. They need a mixed cultured corner. It all comes down to pride & bias. Matchmaking ownership all are at fault in this way

Boxers would have, because they realize a career is not based off of a single fight, and for a fighter to perform again at an optimum level, they can't have the fighters get the shit kicked out of them while offering no real defense other than reliability of ones chin.

Wars reduce the length of a fighters career. Really this just my opinion, but the way judges rule and score fights, the same should be done with cornermen, when young men are getting beat on like that and you don't stop it, you should get 0% of their fight purse legally, and have it done so by the judges. Problem is then cornermen would be more worried about judges decisions on them and less on the actual fight and may stop fights premature. Any suggestions?

They shouldn't have let him come out for the 3rd, at minimum. I don't know how a guy comes back from that.

David Terrell never recovered, and this was worse.

In the 2nd, Silva still had a chance to win if he could chain a couple more shots to the body.

But in the back half of the 2nd and through the 3rd, Brown dominated him grappling enough that Silva was too tired to mount really any offense. I think by the 3rd, a corner stoppage might have been justifiable. Silva was still trying to land a desperate late submission into the 4th, and the ref stopped the fight the instant he rolled over to quit.

Corner should have stopped it as soon as brown got on top, Silva had nothing left

Back