• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When do you know to tap?

Any time somebody is almost locking in a gi choke i tap right away. You go out from gi chokes right away
This is not my experience at all.

I have a "knee/ankle getting hurt" phobia, so I tap if the hold is locked out and I can not longer defend.

I'm talking about heel hooks and possibly toe holds. I don't have experience with either but I've always been told(heel hooks) don't hurt until it's too late and unlike other submissions there is no locking out a hook so how do you guys tell that it's time to tap?

Straight away. If I see my opponent even beginning to go for one I'll tap. I'm not messing around with heel hooks.

heelhooks-you have about a half second to escape or tap. especially if someone is exp. i paid the price 3 times already-not anymore. if your caught don;t be stupid about it.
toe holds i guess it would depend on pain threshold, but i don;t wait on them either.

I tap when I know its going to kill me to try to escape

Damn....
I was really hoping for a cool heel hook gang sign that I could flash to nukkas on "teh street."

Southside Heel Hook Crips 4 Eva

Posture up, hips down FOO!

I tap much earlier with anything involving my legs... A guy in my class on Friday got his ankle popped with a toe hold the other day... Kinda gruesome. Better to be safe than sorry I think

the heel hook is a killer, you feel immense pressure on the knees .....tap early live to roll another day

Earlier from now on after I got my elbow popped in an arm bar last week.

Advice on how to heal up a hyperextended elbow appreciated. :cool: I'm gonna start doing the rehab exercises I have from when I hyperextended my other elbow hitting the bag.

Tapping is for pussies. I never tap.:mad:

hFD330BB0

Heel hooks? I tap as soon as they get it, sometimes before. Not interested in taking chances. Chokes? As soon as I know I'm not getting out... same as basically any other submission.

Easy answer, if you’re not sure tap. Especially if you’re just training in the academy, it’s not worth getting injured. It’s better to tap, figure out your mistake, learn from it and try again.

Heel hooks are the worst; if someone even gets close I’ll tap. The combination of the technique not hurting till it’s too late and the severe damage it can do it’s not a move to play around with. Twisting locks generally do more damage than straight submissions, but neither should be taken lightly. If you want to be stubborn with tapping, do it with chokes.

People saying they’re too tough to tap comical. The way I see it if you’re caught you can tap, lose, then learn from it and keep training. Or you don’t tap, get injured and still lose.

- I tap when i feel i cant escape or that i gonna get hurt.

I tap to leg locks as soon as my opponent even glances down at my leg. Better safe than sorry.

Easy answer, if you’re not sure tap. Especially if you’re just training in the academy, it’s not worth getting injured. It’s better to tap, figure out your mistake, learn from it and try again.

Heel hooks are the worst; if someone even gets close I’ll tap. The combination of the technique not hurting till it’s too late and the severe damage it can do it’s not a move to play around with. Twisting locks generally do more damage than straight submissions, but neither should be taken lightly. If you want to be stubborn with tapping, do it with chokes.

People saying they’re too tough to tap comical. The way I see it if you’re caught you can tap, lose, then learn from it and keep training. Or you don’t tap, get injured and still lose.

I NEVER TAP!

I scream like a little girl who can't find her parents

Back